TGP Slew Jitterness

Caldera

Hey all,

I do not know if this is what some others are observing or unique to myself.

I have my TDC slew mapped to the analog mini joystick on my throttle.  When I use it with the TGP as SOI it really does not slew very smoothly and is often very jittery.  I have even had it begin to slew, then if I release the joystick it will pop back.  The effect is much worse with the aircraft directly over where the TGP is looking.  It seems to slew pretty smoothly for the HUD and the TAD.

Does this sound familiar for anyone else?

Caldera

You are not the only one!

The mini joystick on the TM WH throttle is not a quality device, plus ED has made this control very sensitive. You have to tune the two axes of the mini joystick.
I have set:

Deadzone = 30

Saturation Y = 15

Curvature = 30

That works well for me. Also in the mission, when the Maverick display is open on the left MFCD, I reduce the "Maverick slew sensitivity" to 1 or 2.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes, it sounds familiar, if it is like this:

The slew sensor update is not the solution to this - at least not for me. But on the contrary the first time I experienced this behavior was after installing the upgrade and I thought it was broken. But that was not the case. I just never perceived the slew jitter before, because the shitty TM Warthog slew didn't allow for such fine movements. So it happens for everyone und I was told that it is not a bug, but a feature as it is probably the same with the real targeting pod. So I am fine with it. That is my experience, perhaps Foka had a different one. Despite that you should definetly get the slew mod for your Warthog throttle anyways - it is great!

Edited by Hive

Thanks Guys,

I am using a VPC throttle.  The quality must be about the same, because I am having the same issue.

LeCuvier,

Before I began using the analog joystick I was using a digital one for slew.  The effect I describe was about the same with the aircraft directly above the TGP TDC.   It was jittery as all get out. 

I am trying the analog slew, because I thought it would be more adjustable.  I have adjusted mine as you describe and it is worse frankly.  If I remove the adjustments and go default the slew is more smooth, still some jitterness, but it is extremely fast.  In my opinion, "Slow is Fast".  The cursor moves too quickly and I am always readjusting.

Also, I grew tired of having to constantly adjusting the slew rate variable on the STAT page for the digital slew.  Depending on the zoom of the TAD or TGP it is out of control for the default value of 4.  I had been changing it to 7 and works about the same with a analog or digital joystick.  That is the primary reason for trying out the analog slew.  Annoying...

Does anyone know where to adjust the default slew rates in a lua file?

Thanks!

Caldera

Hive.

Thanks we were typing at the same time.  If it is a feature it sucks. 

Why would A-10 pilots in combat want that?

Is the actual A-10 joystick analog or digital?

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

...Does anyone know where to adjust the default slew rates in a lua file?...

No, there is nothing in "clickabledata.lua" for the controls on throttle and stick as they are not clickable. So there is no "gain" parameter to play with.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

LeCuvier,

Thanks! 

This "slew" value I am talking about is a double bracket value on the second page of the STAT menu screens that is set using the scratch pad.  It is not a HOTAS command.

To find it on the right MFCD:

STAT --> NEXT --> Scroll down -->THRTL --> SLEW [ ]

The default is 4.  This is the default value I would like to change in the lua file.  Typically I set this value to 7 as it calms down the slew rate.  A higher value is a slower slew rate. (Thank you goes out to Gerry Abbot)

I found out that the more mild the analog curve is adjusted to, the worse the jittering gets.  So yesterday, I converted my mini analog joystick to act as a digital joystick.  This, believe or not, helps the stuttering effect but requires me reset the slew value.

It is still hard for me to accept that this is a feature...

Caldera

23 hours ago, Caldera said:

Why would A-10 pilots in combat want that?

Is the actual A-10 joystick analog or digital?

I am sure they don't want it. But I assume it is a technical limitation. The pod needs to make very, very small movements along two rotation axis simultaneously to follow your slew commands. The two motors acting together may cause the jitter. That's what I think, not sure about it. 

The actual slew stick is analog. It does not move, but it is force sensitive. The more force is applied the faster the slewing.

Edited by Hive

Hive,

I am still having issue with it.

If what you say is true then the TGP gimbal would have that same problem at all the times.  Not just when manual panning was used.  For example, when you roll your aircraft the TGP pans smoothly and quickly.  Unless the gimbal reaches mechanical limits.

Maybe more of a pan then focus issue, I do not know.  It is jittery....

Caldera

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

LeCuvier,

Thanks! 

This "slew" value I am talking about is a double bracket value on the second page of the STAT menu screens that is set using the scratch pad.  It is not a HOTAS command.

The default is 4.  This is the default value I would like to change in the lua file.  Typically I set this value to 7 as it calms down the slew rate.  A higher value is a slower slew rate. (Thank you goes out to Gerry Abbot)

I found out that the more mild the analog curve is adjusted to, the worse the jittering gets.  So yesterday, I converted my mini analog joystick to act as a digital joystick.  This, believe or not, helps the stuttering effect but requires me reset the slew value.

It is still hard for me to accept that this is a feature...

Caldera

You are looking for the Mods/aircraft/A-10C_2/Cockpit/Scripts folder.  In there is the HOTAS/HOTAS_param.lua and the Maverick/maverick_interface.lua.  The default slew sensitivities can be set there.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Caldera said:

...This "slew" value I am talking about is a double bracket value on the second page of the STAT menu screens that is set using the scratch pad.  It is not a HOTAS command.

Thanks, you've taken me into totally uncharted waters. Fortunately the slew works acceptably for me so I don't need to mess with the file jaylw identified for you.

LeCuvier