Virtual Servers in router - does it protect other PCs on the network?

Hey, wanted to ask about ports and their security. Hopefully somebody can help me out. Got a question, maybe a couple.

I share the internet with my family and we have couple of PCs connected to one router by LAN cable or by Wi-Fi. Down to the problem.

I want to play with a friend Co-op missions, so I have to configure port triggering for 10308 and allow the connection. Then I have found this as seen in the file attached. Does it mean the connection through the port is sent only to my PC? Are other computers in the household safe from attacks through the DCS port? 

Thank you very much for any help and that you read all the text. 

image.png

A malicious attack on a specific TCP/IP port can only be made if you have some software listening on that port, having the port open in the router does not in itself put the PC in any danger.

Regarding your picture, it means that any traffic directed to the port you specify (10308) will go to the PC of your LAN that has a specific IP address, and only to that PC, other PCs of your home will not receive that traffic. This means that you would need to configure your Router in such a way that it always assign the same internal IP to your PC .. look for DHCP -> Reserves.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

39 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

A malicious attack on a specific TCP/IP port can only be made if you have some software listening on that port, having the port open in the router does not in itself put the PC in any danger.

Once you open a port, an attacker can get through that port, no? That's my amateur take at it. So could you elaborate what do you mean by "... some software listening..." please?

1 minute ago, Arikaj said:

Once you open a port, an attacker can get through that port, no? That's my amateur take at it. So could you elaborate what do you mean by "... some software listening..." please?

No, a port open in itself is no good for an attacker unless he can get you to install a software on your PC that will be listening on that port.

For example, let's say that you receive an e-mail offering the more stunning aviation pics for free ... but when you click on the link and accept the download of the "stunning pictures", a small software can slip within and install itself on your PC, invisible and waiting for orders to come on that port.

In fact, your PC has quite a few ports open by default, or it wouldnt be able to reach the Internet nor receive any data, thus port 80 is for your browser navigation, port 25 for e-mail, 10308 for DCS gaming, etc.

Anyway, debating the basics of networking is too much for a Forum thread ... you can google to learn a bit more, for example: https://www.upguard.com/blog/open-port

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

15 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

For example, let's say that you receive an e-mail offering the more stunning aviation pics for free ... but when you click on the link and accept the download of the "stunning pictures", a small software can slip within and install itself on your PC, invisible and waiting for orders to come on that port.

Very good monkey explanation, thank you. Also the link you provided is very helpful to undestand the basics. 

And if I may, I saw there is an option to download dedicated server. I suppose you need to open the ports nevertheless to play with a friend, right? Because I have a spare machine which would be able to run it. 

Edited by Arikaj
spelling

1 hour ago, Arikaj said:

And if I may, I saw there is an option to download dedicated server. I suppose you need to open the ports nevertheless to play with a friend, right? Because I have a spare machine which would be able to run it. 

The dedicated server is fairly complex to administer, for playing with just a friend its not worth it, better to use the basic multiplayer tools of DCS on your own PC. The dedicated server is more adept at being used by a Group of friends.

• Thanks 1