Unsynchronized Object spawns in Reverb G2

Lutero

Using my G2 I find that as objects (trees, buildings, ridglines) are approached the image is created in one eye prior to the other, temporarily creating a "cross eye" type effect. Haven't found the WMR debug tool to be any help with this however. Anyone else have this problem? It is unique to DCS, not a problem in my other simulators. I have gone back to the Oculus Rift for DCS as it does not have the same issue.

There have been multiple posts about this on this forum as well as other community hubs, and ED, to my knowledge, hasn't directly acknowledged the problem to its full extent, despite the fact that it seems like a glaring issue for seemingly-all VR users/headsets that is immediately apparent upon spawning in-game and quite visually jarring. 

Under default DCS settings, objects like aircraft contrails and puffy-white-clouds (that's the technical name for em, I'm certain) only render in one eye beyond a distance threshold. Inside this threshold these appear to render for both eyes, but there's a very noticeable and large distance between where one eye begins to render the object and when both eyes render the object. 

For clouds and contrails, you can fix this by creating an autoexec.cfg file in:  C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config and adding this line to it: 

options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

However, be warned, ED explicitly tells us not to do this: 

I have taken a look on my machine with the vive cosmos, it seems fine to me, but maybe different on other headsets? I have mentioned it to the team.

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true is W.I.P and is not ready for use so be aware of that.

thanks

And they're correct to a degree. While using the shared parser will fix clouds and contrails, it will cause many lighting effects to render in only one eye. The most notable being cockpit flood lighting and lighting effects on object textures, the latter being most apparent at dawn and dusk (object will appear shinier in one eye than the other). In my opinion, this trade off is worth it in order to have contrails and clouds render in both eyes, but it is a trade-off and ED tells us not to do it.

I don't mean to insinuate that ED is intentionally ignoring this problem or purposely shelving support for the VR experience, but I am a bit discouraged every time I see this topic posted here or elsewhere, and always without any reassurance that measures other than the standard "mention it to the team" are in place to solve it. The optimist in me hopes the 2.7 cloud-update will happen to include a fix, but I'm not basing that hope on anything concrete.

In short, shared parser true or false, all you're doing is deciding if you'd rather have clouds and contrails, or important lighting effects render in only one eye. You can't have both, and neither option feels "good". 

It'd be a very appreciated fix across a sizable player-base. Let's all cross our fingers for luck and pray to the DCS gods for our eventual deliverance from this issue. 

Great post yaga2! Thanks for that. Nice to know the issue is known, by users and ED. Time will tell, perhaps DCS needs to pull in native support for WMR. In the meantime, I'll stick with my Rift and wait to see what happens, or spend more time in FS2020. 

10 hours ago, Lutero said:

Great post yaga2! Thanks for that. Nice to know the issue is known, by users and ED. Time will tell, perhaps DCS needs to pull in native support for WMR. In the meantime, I'll stick with my Rift and wait to see what happens, or spend more time in FS2020. 

They could even just put in support for Open XR now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team

Hi all

correct, stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true is a W.I.P feature, missing objects in one eye is a side effect of using it currently. We would ask you to disable it if you do use it before reporting issues. 

I have highlighted openXR to the team, and I have requested native support for WMR but I have no news to share on this currently. 

I have reported issues with one eye rendering before the other already, but if you have specific examples please make a very short track replay so I can check it. 

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 3/2/2021 at 2:41 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

correct, stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true is a W.I.P feature, missing objects in one eye is a side effect of using it currently. We would ask you to disable it if you do use it before reporting issues. 

I have highlighted openXR to the team, and I have requested native support for WMR but I have no news to share on this currently. 

I have reported issues with one eye rendering before the other already, but if you have specific examples please make a very short track replay so I can check it. 

Thanks

Will tracks show VR rendering issues? I'm having the same issue with my G2 causing trees and other terrain objects to render out of sync. It really hurts the eyes. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Found out what causes the issue. In the WMR settings for Headset display under experience options if you have it set to Optimise for performance you get the object desync. Set it to Best visual quality and it works as it should. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

On 3/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

Thanks

NVM,  will just try to make a track....

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/2/2021 at 10:41 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

Thanks

Many of us post many pics about not rendering issue in one eye, not many days ago I sent you a private message about some pics for this issue from other posts. As many times I said, this bug appears one year ago since 2.5.6 and it seems nobody at ed take care of it. In fact, I saw many post closed without any solution appart the message from you to putting shader parset on false. It seems to me that ED dont want to hear about this issue, closing posts without reason or solucion. COME ON FIX THIS ISSUE!!!!! (Please BN speak seriosly with ED... this is unacceptable from VR user, specially with older versions not affected by this bug). ED don´t have any VR device to test it? It is a rendering problem at some distances, very noticeable and disturbing (at least to me...).Thanks. 

Edited by Gryzor

On 2/24/2021 at 8:08 AM, yaga2 said:

There have been multiple posts about this on this forum as well as other community hubs, and ED, to my knowledge, hasn't directly acknowledged the problem to its full extent, despite the fact that it seems like a glaring issue for seemingly-all VR users/headsets that is immediately apparent upon spawning in-game and quite visually jarring. 

Under default DCS settings, objects like aircraft contrails and puffy-white-clouds (that's the technical name for em, I'm certain) only render in one eye beyond a distance threshold. Inside this threshold these appear to render for both eyes, but there's a very noticeable and large distance between where one eye begins to render the object and when both eyes render the object. 

For clouds and contrails, you can fix this by creating an autoexec.cfg file in:  C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config and adding this line to it: 

However, be warned, ED explicitly tells us not to do this: 

And they're correct to a degree. While using the shared parser will fix clouds and contrails, it will cause many lighting effects to render in only one eye. The most notable being cockpit flood lighting and lighting effects on object textures, the latter being most apparent at dawn and dusk (object will appear shinier in one eye than the other). In my opinion, this trade off is worth it in order to have contrails and clouds render in both eyes, but it is a trade-off and ED tells us not to do it.

I don't mean to insinuate that ED is intentionally ignoring this problem or purposely shelving support for the VR experience, but I am a bit discouraged every time I see this topic posted here or elsewhere, and always without any reassurance that measures other than the standard "mention it to the team" are in place to solve it. The optimist in me hopes the 2.7 cloud-update will happen to include a fix, but I'm not basing that hope on anything concrete.

In short, shared parser true or false, all you're doing is deciding if you'd rather have clouds and contrails, or important lighting effects render in only one eye. You can't have both, and neither option feels "good". 

It'd be a very appreciated fix across a sizable player-base. Let's all cross our fingers for luck and pray to the DCS gods for our eventual deliverance from this issue. 

Thanks Yaga. That is exactly what happens between true and false shader parser option. As you said, many time has been posted this in other posts. But no solution from ED since one year appart of closing posts.

Edited by Gryzor

On 3/2/2021 at 3:41 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

Thanks

You seem to misunderstand the reported issue. Please re-read my post. 

EDIT: Maybe not. Just want to be clear that with it enabled, we have one set of issues, and with it disabled we have another set of issues. 

Edited by yaga2

1 hour ago, Lutero said:

DayGlow seemed to get it right. Changed my WMR settings to Best Visual Quality and it looks like it cured the problem.

So how It could be fixed in SteamVR or non WMR HMD´s? maybe some magical settings with nvidia driver? I think that that WMR doesn´t solve the problem (anyone other can confirm?)

Edited by Gryzor

• 3 weeks later...

On a Reverb G1 the WMR Best Visual Quality setting does not cure the problem.

(Test: Start F16 Free Flight and have a look at distant clouds and check for clipping errors.)

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS