please add a profanity filter for jester

DeathLight

• ED Team
18 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Bruh...

Yeah let's implement a profanity filter for the PC crowd so they can continue simulated killing in their perfect world. 😂

Bruh.... 😉

People have all sorts of reasons for wanting their entertainment to not swear at them or around them, when my daughter was younger I would want to play a game without headphones on so I can hear what she is doing, but I also didnt want my computer shouting swear words either. So don't assume your situation is the same as everyone else's, the request doesn't hurt anyone at all if its a simple filter. 
So as Mike said, be nice and respectful.

• Like 11

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

18 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Bruh...

Yeah let's implement a profanity filter for the PC crowd so they can continue simulated killing in their perfect world. 😂

I always find it quite funny how people bemoan about the ‘PC’ crowd getting bothered and upset over everything, he’s asked a simple request. Yet it has bothered you enough to comment, quite ironic isn’t it. 

I think that for since it has no impact on those whom want profanity or don’t, it’s a nice option to have. But I think that as Mike and others have pointed out, it will be easier to leave it to the user to do this themselves.

• Like 7

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Without getting political, certain advanced regions of the world share this philosophy that it's okay to kill but don't use profanity in the process.  A parallel of this confused sense of morality is networks like AMC that happily show gratuitous and copious violence but cut out any profanity.

I find it endlessly ironic that its okay to discuss how to kill and destroy, if only in simming, but we cannot use profanity even in places like here.

Edited by Mower
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I feel we did Deathlight and others, perhaps unspoken,  a disservice in this thread.  He asked a reasonable question, and IronMike gave a reasonable response. We don't know Deathlight's specific situation but I think we should assume he has his reasons. If anything, this thread taught Deathlight and potentially other's, don't ask a question because sometimes fellow simmers play Whac-A-Mole with you.  I don't feel that's who we should be.

Deathlight now knows what the reality of the situation is, and can now make decisions on how and if to play based on that reality. 

Edited by flameoutme
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, flameoutme said:

I feel we did Deathlight and others, perhaps unspoken,  a disservice in this thread.  He asked a reasonable question, and IronMike gave a reasonable response. We don't know Deathlight's specific situation but I think we should assume he has his reasons. If anything, this thread taught Deathlight and potentially other's, don't ask a question because sometimes fellow simmers play Whac-A-Mole with you.  I don't feel that's who we should be.

Deathlight now knows what the reality of the situation is, and can now make decisions on how and if to play based on that reality.

I don't think it's that important case to comment and make assumptions about DCS community. The question is not reasonable until given the reason. The reaction was totally expected. Go ask for Mavericks and HARMs on our Tomcats and you'll see. Then bash the toxic community.

I am a parent too and it is my job to make a safe environment for my kid, so I don't go blame ponyhub for their content - I make sure to not expose the kid to that content. If the kids were the reason at all. And the legit answers have been given too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, draconus said:

I don't think it's that important case to comment and make assumptions about DCS community. The question is not reasonable until given the reason. The reaction was totally expected. Go ask for Mavericks and HARMs on our Tomcats and you'll see. Then bash the toxic community.

I am a parent too and it is my job to make a safe environment for my kid, so I don't go blame ponyhub for their content - I make sure to not expose the kid to that content. If the kids were the reason at all. And the legit answers have been given too.

No sorry, and sorry to drag this topic off the rails, but we shouldnt condone dumping on a simple question, even if that question doesnt interest you, it would have never affected anyones play style, there was no need to go on the attack, we need to be more welcoming, not more guarded. 

• Like 7

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

5 hours ago, draconus said:

I don't think it's that important case to comment and make assumptions about DCS community. The question is not reasonable until given the reason. The reaction was totally expected.

Dude, you are so way off it's not even funny.

No one was making any assumptions about the "DCS Community", however, a few very specific people were being judged based on their own words. Meanwhile, assumptions about the OP's motives flowed quite freely.

And sorry to break it to you, but you are not the arbiter of what is and is not a reasonable question.

• Like 7

On 2/23/2021 at 1:34 AM, LASooner said:

As a former member of the military, you must understand that we use the F word as a comma.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

I always found it's use as an adjective was better to explain a situation. 🙂

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

On 2/24/2021 at 12:19 AM, Mower said:

I find it endlessly ironic that its okay to discuss how to kill and destroy, if only in simming, but we cannot use profanity even in places like here.

Solution: join the National Guard. 🙂

Warning: much worse swearing than you'd get from Jester.

• Thanks 1

There is a huge difference, everyone, between someone asking us to censor Jester and remove profanity, and someone who is asking for an option, which we would happily provide, if we had the ressources to do it. I think this is the source of all the misunderstanding. Freedom of speech is incredibly important. Also important is kindness to one another and respect for one another though. I see it often that in the flight sim community we react harshly to someone asking for options - while failing to understand that options are, well, optional and in that sense do not affect us, unless we opt in ourselves, by choice.

Personally I am a huge and relentless advocate for more options, because everyone is different and enjoys differently. We want all our customers to be happy, not just a majority or minority. So please consider, if someone is asking for something optional - it has absolutely zero impact on your own experience, but it just might help make someone else happier. 🙂

Thank you.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

On 2/23/2021 at 5:19 PM, Mower said:

The “killing” in DCS is fake, the swearing is real. 

Does that help you understand the OP’s request? It wasn’t a deep treatise on the futility of war and mankind’s endless proclivity to engage in senseless slaughter, he simply doesn’t want real F Bombs reaching the ears of his family, while fake bombs fall on a screen that only he can see. 

• Like 9

Viewpoints are my own.

32 minutes ago, Victory205 said:

The “killing” in DCS is fake, the swearing is real. 

Does that help you understand the OP’s request? It wasn’t a deep treatise on the futility of war and mankind’s endless proclivity to engage in senseless slaughter, he simply doesn’t want real F Bombs reaching the ears of his family, while fake bombs fall on a screen that only he can see. 

Sure okay.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

My 3 year old daughter occasionally likes to have a go at flying (crashing) aircraft in DCS (at least for as long as her attention span allows) so I can well understand the OPs request. 

The only unreasonable part of this discussion are those condescending or disparaging comments by those who are so profoundly ignorant to family life that their opinions are irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/26/2021 at 12:49 PM, WolfHound009 said:

Iranian Jester called Jalal for the Iranian Cat would be cool. But then i guess the voice recording process might be time consuming, just a suggestion.

2 years minimum time consuming to be precise 🙂

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

19 hours ago, IronMike said:

2 years minimum time consuming to be precise 🙂

Sounds about right for that many lines. 🙂 Would a community effort to do that be possible? I'm not Iranian myself, but I think there's a few of them on the forums. All you guys would have to do would be to add subtitles for the benefit of those who don't speak Farsi. 🙂 

On 2/23/2021 at 7:10 AM, null said:

Makes perfect sense, the more things you agree to the more feature creep you introduce into an already complex project. I was mainly asking out of curiosity since this issue does not affect me at all. The mod idea sounds like a nice option but even then I can't imagine this is an issue that a statistically significant portion of the userbase would even care about. Thank you for your reply, and for all the work you guys have already done on the Tomcat.

Making a sound-mod for OVGME would be actually rather easy and intuitive for most DCS users (for new users, we use OVGME to allow us to patch our main install folder, overwriting game files like graphics or sounds, and reapply it after each new game-patch overwrites it).  I do it often for my own personal touch (i like to bring some of my old falcon4 sound and music over from the old days heh), but of course, i dont personally care about profanity.  

If someone wishes to DM with questions, i can provide a template and the modding procedure to make it for themselves.  its kind of fun to do, and its not like you would do it one single pass.  you just update it again and again each time you find and make a change, and after a couple of months, you have it just like you want.  you could then put it up on DCS files for usage by others who desire the same modification.  

A good Mod that does something similar

Edited by marcocom
found a mod related to OPs question
  • Like 2