Cage the Bear campaign : Mission 3 is broken

Sylosis

Mission 3 of Campaign Cage the Bear doesn't make any sense. All of the other allied flights are useless. The 2 SEAD flights go kill one single SA-6 that is relatively far from the mission target (the train station), while there are 2 SAMs directly on the train station. So why aren't they going there?

Also, you get attacked in the middle of that SAM dodging fest while your CAP flight is 40 miles away, shooting planes that aren't real threats...

What am I not getting here?

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Hi. Sounds like you're having trouble with it.

There are no radar SAMs in range of the target. The SA-6 is close enough that it's a pain - so SEAD engages it.

There are a couple of MANPADS near the target. SEAD flights wouldn't be able to target these until they fire anyway. How are you engaging the target? You probably should change tactics if you keep getting schwacked by low-level MANPADS. Try a higher dive, or a low level popup.

10 hours ago, kaba said:

Hi. Sounds like you're having trouble with it.

There are no radar SAMs in range of the target. The SA-6 is close enough that it's a pain - so SEAD engages it.

There are a couple of MANPADS near the target. SEAD flights wouldn't be able to target these until they fire anyway. How are you engaging the target? You probably should change tactics if you keep getting schwacked by low-level MANPADS. Try a higher dive, or a low level popup.

I managed to finally do it, and I'm going to post what I experienced. First of all, I wrote this post after my first attempt and the 2 MANPADs on the target were just non stop shooting at me. The second time around, they were drastically more passive. I do not know why, because on my second attempt, I was not using a different strategy.

The other issue I had, which was the fighter planes coming to intercept me, I was able to overcome by increasing my speed from WPT1 to WPT2. I guess I was pushing too slow, therefore getting to the target as the interceptors were already almost to me. 

So, for sure my mistake was to not come fly to the target quickly enough. As for the MANPADs, I have 0 idea why they were so agressive on my first attempt, even if I kept flying roughly at the same altitudes on my following tries. *shrug*

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

• 2 months later...