F-14 and AIM-54 tactics

I’m kind getting mixed messages about how to launch the AIM-54. I read the article about the AIM-54 kill probability on Fly-and-wire and it stated that the AIM-54 is the most reliable when launched at high altitude around 35 nm. On the other hand people suggest to fly the F-14 at low altitude and launch the 54 at targets above you to prevent notching. The MLC filter will be off when you’re more than 3 degrees below your enemy so that the enemy cannot notch the AWG-9 radar. I also saw videos of an Italian YouTuber getting a lot of A2A kill in a F-14 when flying low and launching the 54 at around 25 to 30 nm. What’s the tactics for flying the F-14? Should I fly low or fly high? Which AIM-54 variant do you think is more useful? The 54A mk.60 with a longer range or the 54C with better chaff resistance which might help to prevent notching?

Edited by the_big_iron

"Yes."

Really, it all depends on the purpose of the shot (threaten, kill), the threat type (bomber, fighter), your kinetic state (altitude, speed), target parameters (altitude, heading), radar mode (TWS, STT)... the list goes on. There is no single answer for any situation. I've seen failed shots at 10 miles and successful hits at 80.

Best advice I can give you is to just go out and try a bunch of things. Mission editor with targets doing different things at different speeds and altitude.

Better yet, get a friend on multiplayer and just shoot stuff at one another, get a feel for the missile. Learn to make these decisions on the spot by judging the situation will help you so much more than any kind of theoretical advice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Noctrach_signature.png

The best thing you can do for your F-14 BVR game, is get a human RIO who knows what they're doing
Makes it so much better
As for specific tactics, it all depends on the situation. Noctrach summed it up pretty well

What me and my pilot like to do, is play high altitude, high speed (angels 35+, mach 1+) long range (50+ miles) shots, and then F-pole. The AMRAAM will not reach you at 50nm, so you have some time to guide the missile in. It usually hits when the bandit is some 30nm away. Close enough for a long range (high alt, high speed) 120 shot, but with no platform supporting it, it's not a huge threat. AIM-54A Mk60 is a bit better for this role, as a high altitude bandit is unlikely to enter a notch in the 15 seconds between pitbull and splash, and the extra thrust does make a big difference at 70k feet the missile lofts to.

You can play low altitude sneak and/or notch tactics, but it's not the Tomcat's ideal environment. There's planes that do it better. For that role, the AIM-54C should be better, as the range doesn't matter that much, but notch and chaff resistance helps immensely

• Thanks 1

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

5 hours ago, BonerCat said:

The best thing you can do for your F-14 BVR game, is get a human RIO who knows what they're doing

Yes please. Where can I sign up?

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2 || Pimax 8KX : 1.0 DCS VR, 100% Steam, FOV 120 degrees

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB Kosima grip || VKB F14 grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback

6 hours ago, nobuttons said:

Yes please. Where can I sign up?

You can maybe find some people here, on the Tomcat Alley Discord
https://discord.gg/eBRCzTtV7U

the link is set to never expite btw, if someone's found this in the future

I'd still recommend finding a friend instead of a stranger.
Oh, and know your plane. It sucks to be let down by your crewm8

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

5 hours ago, BonerCat said:

You can maybe find some people here, on the Tomcat Alley Discord
https://discord.gg/eBRCzTtV7U

the link is set to never expite btw, if someone's found this in the future

I'd still recommend finding a friend instead of a stranger.
Oh, and know your plane. It sucks to be let down by your crewm8

Oh thanks for the link!

Sadly my two DCS are friends are XBox generation pilots who are pretty committed to their fly by wire helmet mounted display robo planes...

I am .... absolutely still working on the "knowing my plane" part... hopefully that Discord can help with some pointers there too!

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2 || Pimax 8KX : 1.0 DCS VR, 100% Steam, FOV 120 degrees

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB Kosima grip || VKB F14 grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback