MAKE! SURE! YOU'RE! RUNNING! IN! FULLSCREEN!

Hiob

Do I have your attention? Good ! :-))

I have read a lot of FPS-related threads lately. Regarding Trackir-Issues, 4K-capabilities and settings in NV and DCS and so on...

every here and now I read something like "try this special V-sync-setting, it gave me an instant +50% on FPS", and similar mumbo jumbo.

What I am not reading in many of those statements is "make sure by alt-enter that you are actually in fullscreen!".

And that is the only thing I figured that can actually give you such an instant performance gain.

I know - it's trivial. But also it's important.

For some f upped reason DCS won't reliably start in fullscreen....

That's the reason for this unneccassary new topic:

ALT+ENTER to make sure you're running in fullscreen.

I'm pretty sure there are still people (like me) outthere who miss this sometimes.

Fly safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

So does that insure Exclusive Fullscreen?

This guide from NVIDIA suggest to run in Exclusive Fullscreen.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/system-latency-optimization-guide/ 

image.png

This is from the DCS manual.

image.png

I though having the box checked was ensuring Exclusive Full screen.

Is there a way to put something in the autoexec.cfg file that automatically uses ALT+ENTER?  hehe

Edited by Ozmandi

I don‘t know what keeps DCS from actually entering fullscreen. But it‘s evident.

When I startup DCS, load in an instant action mission and activate the FPS counter - locked on 60 fps. Alt-Enter - boom - 100 fps.

As far as I know, the Fullscreen-Box checked in DCS not working is a known issue...

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

@HiobI've been reading this piece of advice for some months now, but I had never tested it. I just have. Result: no change at all on my 1080Ti (~85FPS before / ~85FPS after). 😕

I see the screen going black for a split second when using Alt+Enter, but the FPS counter stays the same. Tested with DCS fullscreen option on and off.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

21 minutes ago, Fisherman82 said:

Is this a thing for VR also or is it just if you are using a screen?

It should be only for screen use, as the mirror display is just.... A mirror and not rendering display. BUT, as you are rendering same time the desktop as you are the VR, it could make a sense to make mirror window as well full screen to hide the desktop, I have read about that trick but back then I tested and didn't see difference.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

@HiobI've been reading this piece of advice for some months now, but I had never tested it. I just have. Result: no change at all on my 1080Ti (~85FPS before / ~85FPS after). 😕

I see the screen going black for a split second when using Alt+Enter, but the FPS counter stays the same. Tested with DCS fullscreen option on and off.

than you had it fullscreen right from the start. which is good. 85 fps is a decent framerate though.

from my experience you will be locked to 60 fps or less when in windowed mode.

probably has something to do with the way windows renders windows (lol) or background tasks. not sure though....

@HiobThe 60FPS lock you're describing may be related to Vsync. I don't use Vsync at all (neither ingame, nor in NVIDIA settings). Maybe that explains why I can't see a difference.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Last night I tested this but I pressed ALT+ENTER right after I logged in and didn't see a jump in FPS when I started a mission.

This morning I started a mission and then pressed ALT+ENTER and did see a jump in FPS.  I then tried it in several other missions and maps but did not see the jump in FPS.

@HiobFrom your experience, does it need to be initialized from an active mission to work?

AND

Once it has been initiated, does it work for the duration of my log-in no matter which aircraft\mission\map I'm in?

Thanks

As far as I figured out, it only happens when you first start up DCS. The Application itself won‘t load in Fullscreen.

You‘d probably can Alt+enter right in the menu, but then you won‘t notice the effect.

To be sure, you can enable the g-sync overlay in the nvidia options and put g-sync optimization to fullscreen only.

Once you made sure you are in fullscreen, you can hop in and out of missions without issues.

Alt-tab to desktop or any other application may screw it up again though.....

I am also not sure, if it does it always, and if no, what triggers or cures it, sorry.

I don‘t know if it does it always, and if not, what‘s the trigger or the cure, sorry.

Edited by Hiob

That you have to hit ALT-enter to get full screen depends on the Full Screen setting in the settings.

To define what ALT+Enter does i ran some tests by choosing a smaller DCS res then native monitor res and then switch between Full screen ticked or not:

Findings:

- If Full Screen is ticked, DCS starts full screen, if you then press ALT+Enter, it switches to the selected res or windowed mode !!!

- If Full screen is not ticked, DCS starts at the selected res (windowed mode) and ALT-Enter then switches it to full screen, so the opposite from the one above.

So pressing ALT-ENTER to get full screen is not giving you full screen (but windowed mode instead) when it's already ticked in the settings.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!