Trouble with IRMAV

Hello,

I am having the hardest time with the IR Maverick AGM-65F. Nothing about firing this weapon seems intuitive.

This is the only way I can figure out how to fire the weapon. The DMT TV mode slew speed is so much faster than the TPOD. Why can't these be the same slew rate? Why is the Maverick TV mode have an upsidedown slew mode? I get so confused.

- TPOD - TPOD SLAVE mode (FIND target, designate)

- Switch to DMT TV mode on right MFD

- Pull up STORES page LEFT MFCD

- Uncage Maverick

- Sensor Select FWD for IRMV mode

- Verify target is locked, if not TDC down

-PICKLE!

Is there a way to use the TPOD instead of the DMT? I can never get the IRMAV to lock a target on it's own. If I press TDC down the seeker head just moves to the HUD pipper location. 

I'm lost and frustrated! Please help!

They are a nightmare yes. In my experience after switching from TPOD to IRMV the Mav will never actually be locked on the target but instead of TDC down I just slew it about a bit until it locks. This now works quite well.

What I have found is that if I make a mistake in the button presses on the TDC then I can get the system into a state wher nothing works anymore I.e. I can't slew the TPOD or the DMT,sometimes requiring me to quit out and start again. Next time it happens I'll upload a track for Razbam to take a look at.

I was having the same problems. I started a thread called ‘IRMV again’. The bit of advice I got solved it for me. It was my blunder. I use a T16000m and the 4 way ‘Chinese’ hat switch does not have a ‘depress’. I was reading it as aft, instead of down. I allocated another switch for sss depress and it all fell into place. Understanding how the sensors work together is tricky but vital.  Anyway, probably not helping you. IRMVs are easier with the DMT but more satisfying with the TPOD, as it takes more skill. Watch a bloke called ‘Overkill’ on YouTube. ‘Deephack’ has started a AV8b series on YouTube, he hasn’t got as far as IRMV yet but he’s got a clarity of his own.

Going from tpod to IRMV, you will need to sss depress x2 before you sss fwd to switch it to IRMV so you can tdc depress to get a lock.   Alphabet spaghetti 

Edited by stevie02sky.com
32 minutes ago, stevie02sky.com said:

Going from tpod to IRMV, you will need to sss depress x2 before you sss fwd to switch it to IRMV so you can tdc depress to get a lock.   Alphabet spaghetti 

Thank you.

I do also have TDC depress bound to a separate button. I also have SSS on a different 4-way hat than TDS slew which is on a ministick.

But, I'll try the SSS DEPRESS X 2 first, then SSS FWD.  Doesn't this SSS DEPRESS x2 change the TPOD slew mode between HUD and TPOD? I guess IRMAV needs to be in HUD mode to lock? Maybe this is my whole issue. If I'm remembering SSS DEPRESS x2 correctly...

10 hours ago, netizensmith said:

They are a nightmare yes. In my experience after switching from TPOD to IRMV the Mav will never actually be locked on the target but instead of TDC down I just slew it about a bit until it locks. This now works quite well.

What I have found is that if I make a mistake in the button presses on the TDC then I can get the system into a state wher nothing works anymore I.e. I can't slew the TPOD or the DMT,sometimes requiring me to quit out and start again. Next time it happens I'll upload a track for Razbam to take a look at.

I'll try the Slew around method. I've never found this easy. Maybe it will be easier with changing the FOV on the IRMAV uncaged TV screen.

6 minutes ago, JIGGAwest said:

Doesn't this SSS DEPRESS x2 change the TPOD slew mode between HUD and TPOD? I guess IRMAV needs to be in HUD mode to lock? Maybe this is my whole issue. If I'm remembering SSS DEPRESS x2 correctly...

Yes. At this moment the TPOD (at least at me) a special mode here you enter and exit with 2x SSS Down. So if you want to use IRMV or ARBS/TV, you need to exit the TPOD mode first.

• Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:05 AM, JIGGAwest said:

Is there a way to use the TPOD instead of the DMT? I can never get the IRMAV to lock a target on it's own. If I press TDC down the seeker head just moves to the HUD pipper location.

You do not need DMT at all for maverick slaving to target that you have designated with TPOD. (Do not turn the DMT system Off, as its gimbal can be damaged when flying - Not modeled by Razbam).

Use TPOD to find a target. To control the TPOD, have it on the right DDI (you can have it either one but right is the nicer one) and then use SSS double-press to Enter and Exit the TPOD control. So SSS Press 2x to have TDC moving TPOD, and then your SSS is controlling the TPOD functions:

• Up = LTIP that is not modeled by Razbam. It use laser to beam the area to generate a picture when your CCD or FLIR are not capable to see well. It is not ranging mode:
  • Another new feature is the ‘Laser Target Imaging Program’ (LTIP), employing a short wave infrared (SWIR) laser augmented imaging, to enhance the targeting system’s capability to capture images in situations where medium-wave infrared (MWIR) forward-looking infrared and CCD are ineffective. https://defense-update.com/20111022_litening_g4_atp-se.html
  • Left = Switch between Narrow Field Of View and Wide Field Of View. Long press with activate LST mode.
  • Right = Change the FLIR polarity Black Is Hot or White Is Hot. Long press to switch between CCD and FLIR.
  • Aft = Change between PT, AR, MT modes that are contrast based tracking modes. So PT for Point, AR for Area, MT for Moving Target. Long press set the TPOD to INR mode that is for Inertia Tracking, so when you mask the pod, it doesn't lose the contrast lock and go crazy (not modeled by Razbam).

You use TDC and TDC Down (the throttle is almost vertically positioned, so TDC hat is pressed down when going to Action mode, not to Aft) to move and designate targets with the TPOD, and then SSS to control the TPOD. We have now the AV-8B N/A variant and the AV-8B Plus variant with radar would have throttle with two extra features, a spring loaded wheel to adjust TPOD digital zoom In/Out. And then a one button extra next to TDC that will Start/Stop TPOD Laser.

Now when you have got the TPOD looking where you want, you have it in proper tracking mode (they are all incorrectly done at the moment) and you want to launch your IR Maverick, you do next things:

1) Make sure you have Store Page open on the Left DDI. Without the Store being visible, you can not see the IR maverick video.

2) Press Cage/Uncage button on throttle to see its video on Left DDI. The IR seeker will now move where your TPOD is looking at.

3) Press 2x SSS to Exit TPOD control mode.

4) Press SSS UP to switch to IRMV mode. You can see this in the Maverick video top left corner that it changes from INS to IRMV.

5) Press TDC Down (action) to try lock the target.

6) Launch the Maverick when you have a Lock.

To fire a another for new target, take next steps after that:

7) Press 2x SSS to Enter TPOD control mode.

8] search a new target with TPOD by moving on it.

9) Uncage the IR seeker.

10) Press 2x SSS to Exit TPOD control mode.

11) Press SSS Up to switch to IRMV mode.

12) Press TDC Down to lock target.

13) Launch Maverick.

So basically you go through 1-8 and then you repeat steps 2-8.

It is easy to make a mistake with the order when to uncage maverick seeker and when to exit TPOD mode. If you are not in TPOD mode when Maverick seeker is uncaged, it will go where your Flight Path Marker is pointing and lock on there (again unrealistic). And to get it back to where TPOD looks, you need to just switch back to TPOD mode etc. You play just with those few modes to get IR maverick looking right place. So it is critical that you uncage maverick before exiting TPOD mode, and then you press SSS Up to get it controlled so you can lock it and launch it. You can as well then use the NWS/Undesignate button in IRMV mode to change Maverick Field Of View between Wide and Narrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

13 hours ago, Fri13 said:

It is easy to make a mistake with the order when to uncage maverick seeker and when to exit TPOD mode. If you are not in TPOD mode when Maverick seeker is uncaged, it will go where your Flight Path Marker is pointing and lock on there (again unrealistic). And to get it back to where TPOD looks, you need to just switch back to TPOD mode etc. You play just with those few modes to get IR maverick looking right place. So it is critical that you uncage maverick before exiting TPOD mode, and then you press SSS Up to get it controlled so you can lock it and launch it. You can as well then use the NWS/Undesignate button in IRMV mode to change Maverick Field Of View between Wide and Narrow.

I really appreciate your knowledge with the Harrier and TPOD functions. Thank you for sharing.