Switches that should be off on startup

Datajack

It doesn't state why, but I think it's to prevent the fuel pumps being powered when main power is turned on, during testing phase of the various systems inside the aircraft, when aircraft is defueled for maintenance, to prevent the pumps running dry

Edited by Falconeer
typo

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

20 minutes ago, Falconeer said:

It doesn't state why, but I think it's to prevent the fuel pumps being powered when main power is turned on, during testing phase of the various systems inside the aircraft, when aircraft is defueled for maintenance, to prevent the pumps running dry

No... non of those reasons seem realistic, at least for shut down. It's just very nonsensical to do so. It's like turning off a light by first pulling the plug out from an adapter before plugging the adapter out from the wall. It just a step that has no effect on your end result. Just pull the adapter out of the wall straight. (I'm not that good with metaphors, sorry.)

It should not be assumed that next pilot will will find airplane is the state the previous pilot left it. Shutdown checklist says put this switch to this to this position so next pilot will find that next flight, yeah? No, this is wrong thinking.

Ground crew have their own procedures to turn airplane acceptance into sign off for next flight. Crew give airplane to next pilot in approved state which has nothing to do with how they got it. What you need is checklist for ground crew and it probably is different for QRA or normal ops or long term parking or prep for specific maint or towing etc.

It also shouldn't be assumed that pilot initial checklist mean any particular switch isn't already set. Most are "verify x is in y position" type.

And lastly practice can differ from docs. As published EPU check is pretty late but everyone does it earlier for reasons.

5 minutes ago, Frederf said:

And lastly practice can differ from docs. As published EPU check is pretty late but everyone does it earlier for reasons.

Indeed, EPU check is late on the list, but it's the first thing I check when I get near any F16

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

6 minutes ago, Frederf said:

EPU checks should be performed before doing INS alignment as the EPU check changes main power from the main generator to the EPU generator, meaning that if things are a bit slow you will loose power for a split second and it might mess with the INS resulting in you having to align again.

Edited by Falconeer

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

ED gives us a jet that is never been down for maintenance. Therefore the switches are always set for flight. 

The only time the cockpit switches are off is if a jet has had maintenance performed where power and cockpit entry is made. So the aircrew checklist is designed to cross check all the switches in case maintenance had the jet. The CM-1 checklist reflects the same as mentioned in OP. 

• Thanks 2

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 4 weeks later...
The following should be off on cold start:
Fuel panel: fuel selector OFF
Air cond panel: air source OFF
All audio 1 and 2 knobs off.
IFF panel: C&I should start on Backup

Would love for this to be implemented thanks.
As default please no but I don't mind as an option. I've done 25 minutes rampstart in the past in "that F-16 sim". Time is luxurious for me now.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze