Switches that should be off on startup

Datajack

The following should be off on cold start:

Fuel panel: fuel selector OFF

Air cond panel: air source OFF

All audio 1 and 2 knobs off.

IFF panel: C&I should start on Backup

Would love for this to be implemented thanks.

• Like 6

Intel i7 9700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E, Zotac GTX 2080 TI AMP, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, Corsair H60 liquid cooler, EVGA 850W PS, Cooler Master: Master Case H500, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD | Virpil CM2 Throttle, F-16: Thrustmaster F-16/A-10 Stick, F-18: Thrustmaster F-18 Stick | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | G2 Reverb, J-PEIN Desk mount Throttle, VIRPIL VP-L mount Stick, Cougar MFDs, Generic Custom Built Front Panel, Left Panel and Right Panel, 32 Button Steam Deck.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:26 AM, Datajack said:

The following should be off on cold start:

Fuel panel: fuel selector OFF

Air cond panel: air source OFF

All audio 1 and 2 knobs off.

IFF panel: C&I should start on Backup

Would love for this to be implemented thanks.

This isn't really how it's done IRL, you would never put the air source knob to OFF under normal operations. And there is no such thing as "fuel selector", if you're talking about the engine feed knob then no, that would not be places to OFF under normal operations either. Additionally there should not be such a thing as "default" switch positions. It is a reason for why you check every single switch in the pre-flight procedure. Ideally some of the switches should actually be randomized, to make these things a bit more realistic, but I guess that is a bit too much to ask for. 

In RL Pilots tend to forget to set some switches aswell.  

Thats why we use a checklist to set the switches when we get into the cockpit, it's always prior to turning on the main power in the cockpit. 

But i think it would be nice to see random switch positions in a cold start scenario 

Edited by Falconeer
  • Like 4

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

It would be nice to have an option to have switches in random positions for sure.  Randomization should be for all airframes. But as far as default cold start I really want to see the changes I mentioned above. If they want to add an option for randomization later I'm all for it.

• Like 2

Intel i7 9700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E, Zotac GTX 2080 TI AMP, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, Corsair H60 liquid cooler, EVGA 850W PS, Cooler Master: Master Case H500, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD | Virpil CM2 Throttle, F-16: Thrustmaster F-16/A-10 Stick, F-18: Thrustmaster F-18 Stick | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | G2 Reverb, J-PEIN Desk mount Throttle, VIRPIL VP-L mount Stick, Cougar MFDs, Generic Custom Built Front Panel, Left Panel and Right Panel, 32 Button Steam Deck.

8 minutes ago, Datajack said:

It would be nice to have an option to have switches in random positions for sure.  Randomization should be for all airframes. But as far as default cold start I really want to see the changes I mentioned above. If they want to add an option for randomization later I'm all for it.

Would be nice thing as option, considering that it would be for the "non-critical" functions like landing gear being Up 😉.

It would very well teach the check-ups so you go them through properly before powering things up.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

17 hours ago, Datajack said:

But as far as default cold start I really want to see the changes I mentioned above.

What do you mean with "default cold start"? And the things you mentioned above have no backing behind them. You world never turn most of those things off on shutdown, so why do you want them off?

When did I ever say that what I asked for had any backing? I am not a real F-16 pilot so how would I know?  This request is personal.  I flew the other F-16 sim for many years and this was part of the startup.  Its just what I'm used to from past sim experience, and because I did that for so long it just feels unnatural for those switches to already be set.  This is why its in the wish list forum. 🙂

4 hours ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

What do you mean with "default cold start"? And the things you mentioned above have no backing behind them. You world never turn most of those things off on shutdown, so why do you want them off?

As per checklist engine shut down procedures, Engine Feed knob should be set to off,  Comm 1 and 2 fully rotated counter-clockwish, Airsource knob set to off, C&I switch to back-up

OP has some valid points, it's a great idea to add some realism 

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

55 minutes ago, Falconeer said:

As per checklist engine shut down procedures, Engine Feed knob should be set to off,  Comm 1 and 2 fully rotated counter-clockwish, Airsource knob set to off, C&I switch to back-up

OP has some valid points, it's a great idea to add some realism 

according to what checklist? Document name?

3 hours ago, Datajack said:

When did I ever say that what I asked for had any backing? I am not a real F-16 pilot so how would I know?  This request is personal.  I flew the other F-16 sim for many years and this was part of the startup.  Its just what I'm used to from past sim experience, and because I did that for so long it just feels unnatural for those switches to already be set.  This is why its in the wish list forum. 🙂

I think a really good solution for this problem (if you can even call it a problem) is to have the original switch position the same as the previous shut down positions. If no prior shutdowns have been done it will be the default position set by ED. This way it would be realistic as to how switches are set IRL, and it would also require you to do correct shutdowns and pre-flight procedures to make sure you've got everything correctly. I think it would be a really great addition and would add a lot to realism.

26 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

according to what checklist? Document name?

First sentence, something called engine shut down procedure...

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

1 minute ago, Falconeer said:

First sentence, something called engine shut down procedure...

duhh.. haha. I was interested in knowing what manual/flight crew checklist you are referring to because I have never seen any of those steps in a shutdown procedure for the F-16 except for the C&I knob to BACKUP.

Well just out curiosity I found the T.O. GR1F-16CJ-1 manual and checked.  There is a Cockpit Interior Check.  Now this does not specify what the knob/switch positions should be before you enter the cockpit, it just tells you where they need to be before you move on to the next phase (AFTER COCKPIT CHECKLIST IS COMPLETE - VERIFY).  Focusing on the items I listed, in this list it shows:

Left Console:

13. ENG FEED knob - NORM  

15. IFF MASTER knob - STBY

16. CNI Knob - BACKUP

25. COMM 1 power knob - CW

26. COMM 1 mode knob - SQL

27. COMM 2 power knob - CW

28. COMM 2 mode knob - SQL

Right Console:

9. AIR SOURCE knob - NORM

To your point the list seems to say "If these knob/switches are not in these positions, them set them to these positions".   This seems to be the case because the AFTER LANDING checklist only specifically specifies the following:

6. IFF MASTER knob - STBY

7. IFF M-4 CODE switch - HOLD

And then PRIOR TO ENGINE SHUTDOWN you have:

5. CNI knob - BACKUP

And the AFTER ENGINE SHUTDOWN you have:

MAIN PWR to OFF

OXYGEN REGULATOR to OFF an 100%.

There is no mention of the ENG FEED knob, AIR SOURCE or COMM knobs during any checklist from After Landing to after engine shutdown that I can find.

Currently on cold start in DCS you have CNI knob on UFC,  IFF MASTER on OFF, and M-4 CODE switch on A/B.  So it may only be justified for ED to change these

to CNI knob to BACKUP, IFF MASTER to STBY and M-4 CODE switch to HOLD. 

Phew well that was an exercise....

Some checklist may be more country specific. Also, there may be differences between TO's and checklists aswell.

Im pretty sure about Engine Feed that we set it to off and CNI to backup. 

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

6 minutes ago, Datajack said:

Well just out curiosity I found the T.O. GR1F-16CJ-1 manual and checked.  There is a Cockpit Interior Check.  Now this does not specify what the knob/switch positions should be before you enter the cockpit, it just tells you where they need to be before you move on to the next phase (AFTER COCKPIT CHECKLIST IS COMPLETE - VERIFY).  Focusing on the items I listed, in this list it shows:

Left Console:

13. ENG FEED knob - NORM  

15. IFF MASTER knob - STBY

16. CNI Knob - BACKUP

25. COMM 1 power knob - CW

26. COMM 1 mode knob - SQL

27. COMM 2 power knob - CW

28. COMM 2 mode knob - SQL

Right Console:

9. AIR SOURCE knob - NORM

To your point the list seems to say "If these knob/switches are not in these positions, them set them to these positions".   This seems to be the case because the AFTER LANDING checklist only specifically specifies the following:

6. IFF MASTER knob - STBY

7. IFF M-4 CODE switch - HOLD

And then PRIOR TO ENGINE SHUTDOWN you have:

5. CNI knob - BACKUP

And the AFTER ENGINE SHUTDOWN you have:

MAIN PWR to OFF

OXYGEN REGULATOR to OFF an 100%.

There is no mention of the ENG FEED knob, AIR SOURCE or COMM knobs during any checklist from After Landing to after engine shutdown that I can find.

Currently on cold start in DCS you have CNI knob on UFC,  IFF MASTER on OFF, and M-4 CODE switch on A/B.  So it may only be justified for ED to change these

to CNI knob to BACKUP, IFF MASTER to STBY and M-4 CODE switch to HOLD. 

Phew well that was an exercise....

HOLD is a momentary action that will remember the M-4 codes when you go IFF MASTER KNOB - OFF. You really can't be comparing these things, you're finding connections where they aren't any. The pre-flight procedure goes through literally every switch in the cockpit except for the oxygen panel and the KY-58 panel (which you should check either way), of course it will go through the ones he mentioned. As for the shutdown procedure and the after landing these are the positions you would expect the switches to be in when you jump in the cockpit. So yeah, the way you shut down is the way you would expect the plane to be set up.

7 minutes ago, Falconeer said:

Some checklist may be more country specific. Also, there may be differences between TO's and checklists aswell.

Im pretty sure about Engine Feed that we set it to off and CNI to backup. 

Uhm... The checklists that as far as I know every F-16 operating squadron uses is the TO's. The -1 isn't the only TO, you would use the T.O flight crew checklist. You seem to be very confident that the engine feed to should be set to OFF, please refer to a valid checklist about this or at least give some explanation behind why you should put it to OFF. Right now your information can't be regarded as valid, sorry.

Just now, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Uhm... The checklists that as far as I know every F-16 operating squadron uses is the TO's. 

MLU are different then US Aircraft 😉

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Just now, Falconeer said:

MLU are different then US Aircraft 😉

I work with MLU aircraft only, can't tell whats in your books

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Just now, Falconeer said:

I work with MLU aircraft only, can't tell whats in your books

We're getting off topic. Do you have any documentation that says to turn ENG FEED knob to OFF when shutting down? If so please give me the document name. I don't need anything more. If you can't prove that this step is part of any procedure then your information must be regarded as invalid.

17 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

We're getting off topic. Do you have any documentation that says to turn ENG FEED knob to OFF when shutting down? If so please give me the document name. I don't need anything more. If you can't prove that this step is part of any procedure then your information must be regarded as invalid.

We have supplements in our books which are only applicable to our country. You will never find those in your books. And no, im not going to post those either

Edited by Falconeer
  • Like 1

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

1 minute ago, Falconeer said:

We have supplements in our books which are only applicable to our country. You will never find those in your books. And no, im not going to post those either

If you can't back up your information with a document name then this will be the end of the discussion. Additionally, and MLU checklist isn't as accurate for the block 50 aircraft as an actual block 50 checklist is. Lastly I don't see any reason at all for going ENG FEED - OFF, seems very strange to me to do that.

19 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

If you can't back up your information with a document name then this will be the end of the discussion.

I'm not going to post any links, sorry

Additionally, and MLU checklist isn't as accurate for the block 50 aircraft as an actual block 50 checklist is

I never claimed that, i only told you what's in our books, to indicate there are different procedures used over the world. It's not the American way everywhere you know...

Edited by Falconeer
typo
  • Like 1

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat