1440p vs. 4k

Simo

Hi all,

Got a shiny new rig on the way, and while I'm planning on giving VR a go, I still anticipate a fair amount of time flying in pancake mode, so would like to upgrade my monitor to take full advantage of the increased oomph.

I'm considering either a 27" 1440p or a 32" 4k (coming from a 24" 1080p, so either should be a significant upgrade). Kinda leaning towards going all out with the 32" 4k, but was wondering if modern hardware is actually capable of running DCS at a consistently decent frame rate in 4k?

I'm aware spotting gets more difficult at higher resolutions, but am willing to overlook this in favour of crispier visuals 🙂

For info, new specs will be:

CPU - AMD 5600X

GPU - Radeon 6800XT

RAM - 32GB DDR4 @3200mhz

1TB Samsung 980 Evo M.2

Lol - I play on 4 48" 4K LG OLED.

I got fairly High Setting incl. AA and cut my FPS at 90 for reasons (microstutter with trackir e.g.)....

without the cutting I have 100-120 FPS more often than not and only drop below 90 into the 70s in really demanding settings e.g. going low and slow in a heli over dense cities like beirut.

I can't say anything about amd graphiccards - never had one.

But with a modern highend GPU you should be able to play DCS in 4K without any issue.

p.s. I have a 3080 as a GPU

p.p.s. before upgrading to a 3080 and a gsync monitor I played on a 4K TV (60Hz) with a 1080ti. Never had an issue. Sure the FPS were between 40 and 60 and it wasn't nearly as smooth as now - but it was playable.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I have an 32" 60Hz 4K screen with G-Sync and play DCS with my laptop's 1080 GPU so I'm sure you'll be fine if you go down that route.

For 4K, Nvidia 3080 usually has somewhat better results as it has more bandwidth on the memory bus, IIRC, but those are much harder to find due to the latest crypto craze.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

One thing to consider as an alternative, somewhere in-between your 2 options, is ultra-wide: a 34" 3440x1440 for example. More real estate than a 27" 1440p but far easier on the hardware than 4k.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I have to admit, that with a lower screen size like 32" or 27" 1440p will probably be sufficient and more forgiving on the GPU.

With really large screens like mine the advantage of 4K over 1440p is apparent.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

14 hours ago, Simo said:

so would like to upgrade my monitor to take full advantage of the increased oomph.

https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

From the average person point of view, when you reach the Retina limit (300 DPI at 12" viewing distance) then you do not gain any advantages.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, Habu_69 said:

I have 32" 1440p and am very please with its visual characteristics. I think at 32", 4K will provide degraded performance with little perceivable visual enhancement.

I would beg to disagree. I had a 27" 1440p monitor before this one and it wasn't something I'd call super sharp as text looked somewhat pixelized to me, so I can only imagine the much larger pixel size on a 32" 1440p. On the other hand, 4K on 32" is super sharp which definitely helps with DCS in regards to immersion.

To be fair, in Windows I use a 150% DPI setting to ease the pressure on my eyes which brings the text to about exactly the same level as 1440p would be, with the difference that everything is super sharp.

Besides, if the OP is getting a 6800XT, why would he need to worry about performance at 4K? The 32" 4K screens are 60Hz at the moment, anyway.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

same here. big screen, big pixel count - which is great in DCS, but I yanked up the windows interface to 200% (and also the GUI in DCS to 1,5).

Overall I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks all for your thoughts - reassured that others are running 4k smoothly, so think I'll go with the 32" 4k option.

8 hours ago, Dudikoff said:

For 4K, Nvidia 3080 usually has somewhat better results as it has more bandwidth on the memory bus, IIRC, but those are much harder to find due to the latest crypto craze.

Interestingly, benchmarks in this thread indicate the 6800xt pulls ahead of the 3080 in VR on the G2 - not sure if that will translate to 2d 4k, but various MSFS benchmark vids I've seen also put the 6800xt a whisker ahead.

3 hours ago, Simo said:

Interestingly, benchmarks in this thread indicate the 6800xt pulls ahead of the 3080 in VR on the G2 - not sure if that will translate to 2d 4k, but various MSFS benchmark vids I've seen also put the 6800xt a whisker ahead.

Thanks, it's reassuring to see that if I go for the 6800XT that it won't hamper the VR performance in DCS. But, to be fair, it says Radeon 6800XT OC and somewhere above it says OC means OC 115% (maybe 15% higher clock?) so I guess those are not really stock performance numbers.

My disclaimer was based on the general impression from the reviews where in some games at 4K it trailed 3080 noticeably (like 10%), but nothing that would be a deal breaker. I'd gladly get myself a 6800XT if it's cheaper than 3080 even though I have a G-Sync monitor.

Edited by Dudikoff