Which ATGM variants are coming with Hind?

Zergburger

It is my understanding we are to get the AT-6(9K114) and AT-9(9M120) as our guided missile choices.

My questions is which variants of these?

9K114M1 and M2 variants have increased range compared to baseline weapon.

9M220O proximity fused missile for a2a would be sweet, too.

Edited by Zergburger
  • Like 1

According to that interview with pilotmi8 we are getting Shturm first then Ataka later. without going into which versions.

we will also get the R-60 (AA-8) later,

So a full AA missile instead of a MANPAD (strela/igla) for a2a.

They are also reworking the R-60 so the IR seeker can lock and engage ground targets. As apparently that was a thing on Russian service helicopters.

We will have to wait for the official pre order for the actual version numbers.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Before the days of NVGs, it was primarily used to detect cars and trucks carrying arms and troop shipments from Pakistan into Afghanistan at night. At night the contrast between the cold desert background and the hot vehicle exhausts was strong enough to give a return. From that point on I believe they either engaged it with the missile and/or dropped a flare on the location to use rockets and cannons. Apparently this method worked. Cuban MiG-23 pilots allegedly did the same when fighting in Angola, using both the R-60 and R-23/24T (can't recall which) against soft or lightly armoured vehicles.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lucas_From_Hell said:

Before the days of NVGs, it was primarily used to detect cars and trucks carrying arms and troop shipments from Pakistan into Afghanistan at night. At night the contrast between the cold desert background and the hot vehicle exhausts was strong enough to give a return. From that point on I believe they either engaged it with the missile and/or dropped a flare on the location to use rockets and cannons.

Now that you mention that, I do vaguely remember reading that, many years ago.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

They discuesed this some Time ago in the Russian Forum. After the Hind didnt have any night Capability, was more a emergency Solution to track the Target Heat sources at night in the Afghanistan War. But was rather poor Solution and only so far i remember only possible in some certain Climate and Temperature Spectrum with the Hind nearly running in the Target before the R-60 would Track anything. Would not  expect to much from the R-60 against Ground Targets.

Edited by MAD-MM
  • Thanks 1

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

19 hours ago, MAD-MM said:

They discuesed this some Time ago in the Russian Forum. After the Hind didnt have any night Capability, was more a emergency Solution to track the Target Heat sources at night in the Afghanistan War. But was rather poor Solution and only so far i remember only possible in some certain Climate and Temperature Spectrum with the Hind nearly running in the Target before the R-60 would Track anything. Would not  expect to much from the R-60 against Ground Targets.

Did the HUD on the Hind display any kind of targeting cues from the R60? If that was the case then in case of a missile lock-on, the pilot could theoretically get guns and other weapons to bear on the target, which would otherwise be almost invisible in the night. Sort of like a poor man's FLIR. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Just now, Lurker said:

Did the HUD on the Hind display any kind of targeting cues from the R60? If that was the case then in case of a missile lock-on, the pilot could theoretically get guns and other weapons to bear on the target, which would otherwise be almost invisible in the night.  

I imagine it's similar to the Su-25, AFAIK the sight is very similar, at least for the pilot. 

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

15 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

I imagine it's similar to the Su-25, AFAIK the sight is very similar, at least for the pilot. 

Oh man, it's been years since I flew the Su-25. I don't remember ever having used the R60 on that plane 🙂. Do you get some kind of cueing when you uncage the missile and it locks on? Or is it just a lock-on tone?

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Oh man, it's been years since I flew the Su-25. I don't remember ever having used the R60 on that plane 🙂. Do you get some kind of cueing when you uncage the missile and it locks on? Or is it just a lock-on tone?

I believe so, the crosshair follows whatever the R-60 is tracking, along with a tone (and maybe a light too, but that light is used for the laser designator/rangefinder - which our Hind doesn't have (no idea what it uses for ranging).

EDIT: Both do indeed use the ASP-17, though maybe in different variants.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Did the HUD on the Hind display any kind of targeting cues from the R60? If that was the case then in case of a missile lock-on, the pilot could theoretically get guns and other weapons to bear on the target, which would otherwise be almost invisible in the night. Sort of like a poor man's FLIR. 

Dont remember the Piper is even following where the R-60 is actually looking in the Su-25. But think that would be hell of a work to align the Gun with the R-60 Piper and hit something in the Distance at Night. Even dont know the Gun Point of impact is showed together with the R-60 Piper. Think they fired the Missile waiting for hopefully impact something usefull and  launched afterwards the Rest of the Armament at the Point of the Fireball from the R-60. Think only whats matter to even use the R-60 is the surprise Factor. Afterwards they could still use some Illumination Flares or smillar like this.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

7 minutes ago, MAD-MM said:

Think they fired the Missile waiting for hopefully impact something usefull and  launched afterwards the Rest of the Armament at the Point of the Fireball from the R-60. Think only whats matter to even use the R-60 is the surprise Factor. Afterwards they could still use some Illumination Flares or smillar like this.

Yeah that would work too. Not sure it would work in DCS though, because the lighting is very iffy at the moment. 

23 hours ago, MAD-MM said:

Dont remember the Piper is even following where the R-60 is actually looking in the Su-25.

You're right, I'm mistaken, you just get fixed crosshair and an audible tone.

I was also in error about the lights, it doesn't use the laser designator/ranger lights, it uses separate lights on the other side (presumably they're launch authorisation/break lights or something similar, as in the MiG-21bis. 

Edited by Northstar98

System: