Next patch for the Hornet?

AstonMartinDBS

When can we expect the next patch for the hornet? In particular I'm looking forward to get the JHMCS designation working again ("New elevation tracking model to resolve JHMCS designation drift.")

According to Wags' Hornet Mini-Updates announcements the next, big OB should contain a lot of new features and some bug fixing.

Hopefully we don't have to wait for the release of 2.7, which is announced for late march 2021 or maybe even later when delayed.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

• ED Team

Next big patch will be with DCS 2.7 planned for the end of March at the moment. 

If that changes we will let you all know.

thank you

• Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, Padre Pio said:

Oh yes, and please repair our A/A radars. I'm enough with being shot by the enemy which is 5-10 miles in front of me, same level.. and my radar can't see it. 😬

Oh man I am flying my first Hornet campaign after all these hours of trying to learn it, and thought it was me and something I was doing wrong. Lol glad I saw this!

• Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No problem, I am very sorry that I forgot to save a trackfile for ED crew. I don't say it happens always and permanently and I am not advanced in dogfight, however I know quite enough how radar basics work here in F-18 and I know how they worked a month before in OpenBeta. 

The situation happened to me twice in Seprent's Head 2 Campaign. The common factor of these two cases was, that enemy fighters were trigger-borned about 15-20nm from me. I do not know if it has a meaning for actual game-radar-behaviour, but maybe it would help in any investigation.

Edited by Padre Pio

9 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

Never experienced this behavior myself (not saying this is not a rare bug for someone). I was playing for several hours last week with the hornet. So far I can see and have always being able to see everything as intended.

Things that might get to do with this based on my experience with the hornet, just in case it is helpful for someone:

• People not working the elevation properly, a good tip is to assess the top and lower numbers in the TDC when the TDC is at the expected target distance (otherwise you might think your target is inside the radar cone when actually it is not, just because your tdc is at 80nm while the target is at 10 nm for example. Remember that as the TDC is further away the altitude your radar covers increases due to the cone shape.
  • Always have a look at the Radar PRF setting, by default is interleaved MED/High, sometimes, and this is a bug, the PRF changes by itself to Medium. If that happens, you stop seeing closing targets when you should.

Good to know thanks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

25 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

Never experienced this behavior myself (not saying this is not a rare bug for someone). I was playing for several hours last week with the hornet. So far I can see and have always being able to see everything as intended.

Things that might get to do with this based on my experience with the hornet, just in case it is helpful for someone:

• People not working the elevation properly, a good tip is to assess the top and lower numbers in the TDC when the TDC is at the expected target distance (otherwise you might think your target is inside the radar cone when actually it is not, just because your tdc is at 80nm while the target is at 10 nm for example. Remember that as the TDC is further away the altitude your radar covers increases due to the cone shape.
  • Always have a look at the Radar PRF setting, by default is interleaved MED/High, sometimes, and this is a bug, the PRF changes by itself to Medium. If that happens, you stop seeing closing targets when you should.

Isn't med PRF meant to give you more precise distance information in close range? I thought high PRF covers more distance and medium is more accurate but doesn't reach as far.

1 hour ago, falcon_120 said:

People not working the elevation properly, a good tip is to assess the top and lower numbers in the TDC when the TDC is at the expected target distance (otherwise you might think your target is inside the radar cone when actually it is not, just because your tdc is at 80nm while the target is at 10 nm for example. Remember that as the TDC is further away the altitude your radar covers increases due to the cone shape.

Thanks, that's what I know. However, if the situation happens in ACM and you nearly see the enenmy in front of you, and there is nothing on the radar, then you think "something's wrong".

Another situation: ACM mode, full enemy HAFU in the middle line of the radar and cannot get a lock in any mode.

I could think that's problem with me, however radar WAS working without problems like above not far time before. 

Edited by Padre Pio
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Padre Pio said:

Thanks, that's what I know. However, if the situation happens in ACM and you nearly see the enenmy in front of you, and there is nothing on the radar, then you think "something's wrong".

Another situation: ACM mode, full enemy HAFU in the middle line of the radar and cannot get a lock in any mode.

I could think that's problem with me, however radar WAS working without problems like above not far time before. 

Granted I am still somewhat in the learning stages - I am in Mission 11 of the Rising Squall campaign - my first campaign.

This mission relies heavily on the 10 AIM 120's I have, and I am really struggling with it , oftentimes not even getting a lock until they are well within 10 nm of me. It is designed for TWS mode but I can't seem to even get two on the radar to lock up.

Maybe I will try it in RWS to see if I have better luck.

• Like 1

Don B

46 minutes ago, dburne said:

Granted I am still somewhat in the learning stages - I am in Mission 11 of the Rising Squall campaign - my first campaign.

I have 3 campaigns started at the moment. No several problems with A/G,  but the party is over when it comes to AA contact. It could be fun,  but if you have over an hour of mission flown with few targets and refueling and die because of single MiG 23,  it's very disgusting. I love AA fights,  that's why I bought F-18 and spent a lot of hours on training. It seems strange,  that on the beginning I had more success than now. If we have to wait one more month,  I am wondering between coming back to Stable version or to my Warthog ^^

1 hour ago, Enduro14 said:

Folks will hate the new clouds messing with sensors....  tech isn’t  invincible 

People will love the new clouds interfering with sensors, as it allows for more entertaining and challenging scenarios, closer to real life missions... The need to make a decision to go under the cloud layer, or to choose your approach so the TGP has line of sight through a gap in the clouds. I really hope they block LOS for AI (optical sensors and IR) as well.

Still SAM radar will pick you up.

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

8 hours ago, Padre Pio said:

full enemy HAFU in the middle line of the radar and cannot get a lock in any mode.

Are you sure your radar sees it? The correlated HAFU and Surveillance track look exactly the same, except the number is missing in Surveillance tracks and they are 75% the size. They both have the upper and bottom half.

Picture attached is a track NOT seen by your radar.

ghjghjgj.PNG

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

16 minutes ago, dorianR666 said:

The correlated HAFU and Surveillance track look exactly the same, except the number is missing in Surveillance tracks and they are 75% the size

Ooops.. You got me.. It might be it,  thanks in advance! I have to check.   It simplifies my problem to the point,  that my radar in some specific cases doesn't see anything,  when it should. 

6 hours ago, Drac said:

I see their is discussion of a "Big Patch" coming out in late March.  I know we had several "Hot Fixes" this month.  Will there be any "Mini Update" this month?

I think there will be a hotfix here shortly that addresses some issues in the new Rising Squall Campaign for the Hornet.

No idea what else might be in there.

Don B

16 minutes ago, dburne said:

I think there will be a hotfix here shortly that addresses some issues in the new Rising Squall Campaign for the Hornet.

No idea what else might be in there.

Roger that.  Hoping there is some fixes to the radar and SA page in reference to seeing air threats.  Tired of being shot down do to lack of situation awareness.

29 minutes ago, Drac said:

Roger that.  Hoping there is some fixes to the radar and SA page in reference to seeing air threats.  Tired of being shot down do to lack of situation awareness.

I hear ya.

Don B

Patch is live.

Hotfix for Inverted's Rising Squall Campaign.

Don B

Speaking of radar elevation and scan, it might be something wrong with the size of the bars on the f18, and thats why is soo difficult pick up target at close range: You can see that the 4 bars config on the 18 is narrower in comparison with 4 bars on the f16. Not just that but also the 6 bars on the f18 are narrower then 4 bars on the f16. I cant say for sure that something is wrong but I guess need some investigation at least. 

4 bars f18: 40 miles : -9 till 22

4 bars f16 40 miles : -17 till 30

6 bars f18 40 miles: -14 till 27

unknown (2).png

unknown (3).png

unknown (1).png

• Like 1

I am still learning but all I know is all those yellow target icons I see shown in images and in videos, I rarely see them like that on my end.

Usually I see a lot of nothing with an occasional red squiggly looking circle. And sometimes the yellow triangles up on top of the screen.

I don't see say the target icons on that display like I see in Wags overview video.

Could be I am doing something wrong but I change my aspect angle and adjust the elevation as well to try and help.

Usually with the minimal icons on I will pick them up that way off in the distance before I can even pick them up on the radar screen.

Don B