Mission 01 - little annoyances and a question

I've just started this campaign, and it looks great! However, I am a little confused by certain aspects of Mission 01.

Firstly, no matter how quickly I form up behind Saint on the carrier for take-off, before I have even taken off, we get the 'call this formation?... is this what they taught you in Top Gun...'.  etc.  In fact, if I delay taking off, Saint just carries on with the dialogue about the Iranian ship, staying here for the training, etc.  This doesn't seem right. Is there not a trigger going wrong somewhere?

Also, on 2 or 3 occasions when trying to get a perfect score, Saint had crashed landed back on the carrier, and I was unable to land!

Lastly, what do you need to do to get a perfect score in this mission?  I keep getting 90 although everything seemed OK.

Intel i9 10900K 5.2GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F Wi-Fi · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

Sure, I get that, but I don’t think that’s what’s happening as the action goes on with the same dialogue all the way through even if you haven’t taken off. 

Intel i9 10900K 5.2GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F Wi-Fi · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

Hey Imacken. 

In a nutshell - Saint is an extremely annoying guy. Unless you fly a perfect formation on his wing, he will not loose any opportunity to trash you.

You should not delay your take off, as you would not in real life - and since things are timed here depending on where Saint is, you just need to do everything by the book, otherwise the mess would be even bigger. So no, no missing triggers here. Do note that this is not a norm throughout the campaign, but in some missions where you are a part of larger packages you just have to play your role and be on time, nobody will be waiting for you. 

As for Saint hitting the waves - well, he is a s***ty pilot, but not that bad, this is just the DCS AI. Try to keep the fight above 12-15K...

Scoring - I think there is a difference in what you choose as an aswer after Saint’s mishap with the Iranians 🙂 

Hope this helps!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks BD. I think my point is that he says the same thing regardless of where I am or what I am doing. He asks about the SAM launch even though my hornet is still on the deck!  (I only delayed take off to see what would happen to the dialogue/plot).  I would have thought that the dialogue could at least be timed with my take off.

Re scoring, I always back him up and still get 90!

A couple of other points. Often, the SAM launch dialogue doesn't happen and Saint just goes into the defensive climb.  Also, his 56X A/A TACAN doesn't work. Don't know if it is supposed to or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I flew really close to him throughout his entire jinking maneuver with the sam thing and after I answered that I will not back him up with the sam thing (and still flying really close to him when answering him on the sam) he said I am too far from him and yet he never said i was too far away at all before with this same distance to his fighter during the mission. and I picked all the answers that challenged his authority as lead too for the previous 2 options lol. The guy does not deserve his lead post and I have zero respect for the character.

Edited by cm2

I was curious on "Saint"s comment on flying not close enough to him so I flew the mission again and he said the same thing again, once,  just like before after answering on not backing him up with his sam thing even though I was flying really close to him like before with the same distance during the entire mission (minus when dogfighting him).

Edited by cm2
2 hours ago, baltic_dragon said:

If you are close, he won't say anything. And for him it has to be really close. If this is annoying then it means it worked, as Saint is a super annoying guy!

It's already really close, any closer i would collide with him.  and he didn't complain about it during the entire mission with the same distance to him with the exception after I answered on the sam thing,  suddenly he said i am flying too far from him once.

Edited by cm2
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, baltic_dragon said:

he will not loose any opportunity to trash you.

verb
verb: loose; 3rd person present: looses; past tense: loosed; past participle: loosed; gerund or present participle: loosing
set free; release.
"the hounds have been loosed"

verb
verb: lose; 3rd person present: loses; past tense: lost; past participle: lost; gerund or present participle: losing
be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"

Sorry for being the spelling / grammar police, and I wouldn't usually bring it up, but I couldn't help but notice that the same error was in the last paragraph of the campaign description.

😉

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i7 8700K (3.7 / 4.7 GHz), Asus Prime Z370-A, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5x Blower (1480 / 1582 MHz), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 MHz, Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), AOC U3477PQU Monitor, Oculus Rift S, Saitek X52 Pro

Through observation, ‘loose’ for ‘lose’ is the most common misspelling of an English verb for non native speakers that I have seen, especially in Scandinavia and the Baltic States. 

Never really understood why. 

It may just be me, but it seems to be everywhere, even amongst native English speakers.  Probably spreading through imitation.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i7 8700K (3.7 / 4.7 GHz), Asus Prime Z370-A, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5x Blower (1480 / 1582 MHz), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 MHz, Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), AOC U3477PQU Monitor, Oculus Rift S, Saitek X52 Pro

7 hours ago, Hippo said:

verb
verb: loose; 3rd person present: looses; past tense: loosed; past participle: loosed; gerund or present participle: loosing
set free; release.
"the hounds have been loosed"

verb
verb: lose; 3rd person present: loses; past tense: lost; past participle: lost; gerund or present participle: losing
be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"

Sorry for being the spelling / grammar police, and I wouldn't usually bring it up, but I couldn't help but notice that the same error was in the last paragraph of the campaign description.

😉

I stand corrected! And I will also correct the description - where exactly is that mistake?

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

image.png

😉

If the wheel nuts on your car are loose you could lose your wheel the next time you drive.

Edited by Hippo