Mission 01 - little annoyances and a question

imacken

I've just started this campaign, and it looks great! However, I am a little confused by certain aspects of Mission 01.

Firstly, no matter how quickly I form up behind Saint on the carrier for take-off, before I have even taken off, we get the 'call this formation?... is this what they taught you in Top Gun...'.  etc.  In fact, if I delay taking off, Saint just carries on with the dialogue about the Iranian ship, staying here for the training, etc.  This doesn't seem right. Is there not a trigger going wrong somewhere?

Also, on 2 or 3 occasions when trying to get a perfect score, Saint had crashed landed back on the carrier, and I was unable to land!

Lastly, what do you need to do to get a perfect score in this mission?  I keep getting 90 although everything seemed OK.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sure, I get that, but I don’t think that’s what’s happening as the action goes on with the same dialogue all the way through even if you haven’t taken off. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hey Imacken. 

In a nutshell - Saint is an extremely annoying guy. Unless you fly a perfect formation on his wing, he will not loose any opportunity to trash you.

You should not delay your take off, as you would not in real life - and since things are timed here depending on where Saint is, you just need to do everything by the book, otherwise the mess would be even bigger. So no, no missing triggers here. Do note that this is not a norm throughout the campaign, but in some missions where you are a part of larger packages you just have to play your role and be on time, nobody will be waiting for you. 

As for Saint hitting the waves - well, he is a s***ty pilot, but not that bad, this is just the DCS AI. Try to keep the fight above 12-15K...

Scoring - I think there is a difference in what you choose as an aswer after Saint’s mishap with the Iranians 🙂 

Hope this helps!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks BD. I think my point is that he says the same thing regardless of where I am or what I am doing. He asks about the SAM launch even though my hornet is still on the deck!  (I only delayed take off to see what would happen to the dialogue/plot).  I would have thought that the dialogue could at least be timed with my take off.

Re scoring, I always back him up and still get 90!

A couple of other points. Often, the SAM launch dialogue doesn't happen and Saint just goes into the defensive climb.  Also, his 56X A/A TACAN doesn't work. Don't know if it is supposed to or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I flew really close to him throughout his entire jinking maneuver with the sam thing and after I answered that I will not back him up with the sam thing (and still flying really close to him when answering him on the sam) he said I am too far from him and yet he never said i was too far away at all before with this same distance to his fighter during the mission. and I picked all the answers that challenged his authority as lead too for the previous 2 options lol. The guy does not deserve his lead post and I have zero respect for the character.

Edited by cm2

I was curious on "Saint"s comment on flying not close enough to him so I flew the mission again and he said the same thing again, once,  just like before after answering on not backing him up with his sam thing even though I was flying really close to him like before with the same distance during the entire mission (minus when dogfighting him).

Edited by cm2

2 hours ago, baltic_dragon said:

If you are close, he won't say anything. And for him it has to be really close. If this is annoying then it means it worked, as Saint is a super annoying guy!

It's already really close, any closer i would collide with him.  and he didn't complain about it during the entire mission with the same distance to him with the exception after I answered on the sam thing,  suddenly he said i am flying too far from him once.

Edited by cm2

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, baltic_dragon said:

he will not loose any opportunity to trash you.

verb
verb: loose; 3rd person present: looses; past tense: loosed; past participle: loosed; gerund or present participle: loosing
set free; release.
"the hounds have been loosed"

verb
verb: lose; 3rd person present: loses; past tense: lost; past participle: lost; gerund or present participle: losing
be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"

Sorry for being the spelling / grammar police, and I wouldn't usually bring it up, but I couldn't help but notice that the same error was in the last paragraph of the campaign description.

😉

Edited by Hippo
  • Thanks 1

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Through observation, ‘loose’ for ‘lose’ is the most common misspelling of an English verb for non native speakers that I have seen, especially in Scandinavia and the Baltic States. 

Never really understood why. 

It may just be me, but it seems to be everywhere, even amongst native English speakers.  Probably spreading through imitation.

Edited by Hippo
  • Like 1

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

7 hours ago, Hippo said:

verb
verb: loose; 3rd person present: looses; past tense: loosed; past participle: loosed; gerund or present participle: loosing
set free; release.
"the hounds have been loosed"

verb
verb: lose; 3rd person present: loses; past tense: lost; past participle: lost; gerund or present participle: losing
be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"

Sorry for being the spelling / grammar police, and I wouldn't usually bring it up, but I couldn't help but notice that the same error was in the last paragraph of the campaign description.

😉

I stand corrected! And I will also correct the description - where exactly is that mistake?

image.png

😉

If the wheel nuts on your car are loose you could lose your wheel the next time you drive.

Edited by Hippo

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I started a campaign too, and it looks amazing. The documentation is also excellent.  However I cannot score 100 points. It's always 80.  I managed to get just one warning for the the formation on the route back. It's the formation what gives you the score point? And I have one more strange issue. Saint do not fight with me. After separation I fly to west (as it was fragged), Tapes on, Turning hot, his aircraft disappears and the is another one which is not fighting at all. I fire my both of my sidewinders (space bar) and SIM guns too. I get "knock it off" and fly to south heading (as it was briefed).  Am I doing something wrong? Thank you for any advice 🙂 BTW I managed  _OK_#3, so where I lost so many points? 😄 

Small remark: The mission QNH is 2988 but there is 2990 in kneeboard. 

Untitled picture1.jpg

Tacview-20210529-150104-DCS-R1 M01.zip.acmi

Edited by RoGaR

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 11:17 AM, baltic_dragon said:

That is weird that he doesn't fight. yes, he spawns as agressor to make sure that he does attack, I will check if I can reproduce.

Have you found out why the AI is not fighting? 🙂 Thanks

• 1 month later...
2021/6/20 AM12点22分,baltic_dragon说:

I tried to reproduce but it works for me.. anyone else is having the same issue as RoGaR?

Sometimes I had the same issue, however, I think I have found out what the problem is.

In cold start stage, when I trying to hide the stick and pressing BACKSPACE, the stick was not hidden, instead, the message "When you are ready, use F-10 menu for radio check with Saint. He will start taxing to the CAT around 30 seconds later." disappeared. A few seconds later, another message "Use SPACE BAR to indicate good hit with the guns. Use F10 menu if Saint hits you. You can also break the training when you hit JOKER." appeared, which should emerge later in the training stage. Also, an additional option "F2. SAINT hit you (2)" came to the F-10 menu. After that, Saint would not become hostile and fight with me in the training. In the mission report below, two Iranian helicopters were started even when I was still on the deck, which should be started later after the training. If I don't press BACKSPACE, nothing is going to be wrong. So I think the problem is that the BACKSPACE pressing unexpectedly triggers something.

屏幕截图 2021-08-17 013317.png

Edited by touuki

My main issue with mission 1 is that Saint goes below 5,000 feet all the time. Wish there would be some trigger where you could "call it off" because Saint is playing around underground. 

Think I played mission 1 4 times or so, saint got below 5,000 feet on every attempt. The moment I go 4,990 feet we call it off, but when he's skimming the waves no one bats an eye 😛

Edited by Photon

I tried to add a safeguard telling him to climb above 10K as soon as he got to 6K, but that lead to him splashing into the sea - which is way worse than just passing hard deck.

Also, Saint being himself would probably not admit that he just broke the rules, so this is kind of "realistic" for Raven One..