Gun-turret... nothing else... just a gun-turret... no turret - no buy :-)

-Mop-

01.03.2021 в 00:08, Lucas_From_Hell сказал:

Nice, didn't know! Do you know if those are their originals or new acquisitions to replace the mothballed ones?..

Mi-24/35s of the Georgian Air Force / Aviation and Air Defense Command:

• initially 6 Mi-24s from the Soviet Armed Forces: 4 Mi-24V + 2 Mi-24P;
  • − 3 Mi-24s during the War in Abkhazia (1992–1993): 2 Mi-24V & 1 Mi-24P;
  • − 1 Mi-24V in an accident (2004), not restored, is in a non-flying state at Tbilaviamsheni JSC;
  • + 1 Mi-35 (the Mi-24V export version) from Uzbekistan (2004);
  • + 3 Mi-24s from Ukraine (2005): 2 Mi-24V & 1 Mi-24P;
  • + 3 Mi-24s from Ukraine (2006): 1 Mi-24V & 2 Mi-24P;
  • − 1 Mi-24V in a crash (2007);
  • − 3 Mi-24s during the Russo-Georgian War (2008): 1 Mi-24V & 1 Mi-24P were destroyed by Russian troops, 1 Mi-24V in an accident, not restored.

For more information about the Mi-24/35s of the Georgian Air Force / Aviation and Air Defense Command (1992–2013) see the Aviation and Time journal #5'2013, pp.43–45 (in Russian), ISSN 2304-1501.

By 2020, the Georgian Aviation and Air Defense Command have 5 serviceable Mi-24/35s left: 1 Mi-35 + 1 Mi-24V + 3 Mi-24P.

UPD.

It should be noted that in 1999–2004, the Georgian Air Force did not actually have serviceable Mi-24s, since during this period 3 Georgian Mi-24s that survived from Soviet era were undergoing overhaul in Ukraine.

Скрытый текст

Original in Russian

Ми-24/35 ВВС / Командования авиации и ПВО Грузии:

• изначально 6 Ми-24 от ВС СССР: 4 Ми-24В + 2 Ми-24П;
  • − 3 Ми-24 в ходе Войны в Абхазии (1992–1993): 2 Ми-24В & 1 Ми-24П;
  • − 1 Ми-24В в аварии (2004), не восстановлен, в нелётном состоянии находится в JSC Tbilaviamsheni;
  • + 1 Ми-35 (экспортная версия Ми-24В) от Узбекистана (2004);
  • + 3 Ми-24 от Украины (2005): 2 Ми-24В & 1 Ми-24П;
  • + 3 Ми-24 от Украины (2006): 1 Ми-24В & 2 Ми-24П;
  • − 1 Ми-24В в катастрофе (2007);
  • − 3 Ми-24 в ходе Вооружённого конфликта в Южной Осетии (2008): 1 Ми-24В & 1 Ми-24П уничтожены российскими войсками, 1 Ми-24В в аварии, не восстановлен.

Подробнее про Ми-24/35 ВВС / Командования авиации и ПВО Грузии (1992–2013) см. журнал «Авиация и Время» №5/2013, стр.43–45 (на русском языке), ISSN 2304-1501.

К 2020 году у Командования авиации и ПВО Грузии осталось 5 исправных Ми-24/35: 1 Ми-35 + 1 Ми-24В + 3 Ми-24П.

UPD.

Следует отметить, что в 1999–2004 годах в ВВС Грузии фактически отсутствовали исправные Ми-24, т.к. в этот период 3 грузинских Ми-24, уцелевших с советских времён, находились на капремонте в Украине.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
UPD.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:01 AM, SuumCuique said:

There are no other missions than killing in DCS. Suppression is not a thing. Either a gun can kill APCs, Trucks, and other light vehicles or it is borderline useless.

Right now it's that way.  But hopefully, we will soon have much better Infantry and AI to go along with it.

Then, we will have to start planning anti-infantry techniques with fast-firing, lighter weapons like 7 and 12mm, being supported by anti-armor jets and heli's.

Edited by 3WA
  • Like 1

I am Hoping to grind my way through houses with these dual 30 mils..... not Apache intermediate AK-47 style 30 mike mikes mind.

MI-24P Proper high rate of fire Kannon 30 mike mikes..... like the Ka-50. 

• Like 4

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

4 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

I am Hoping to grind my way through houses with these dual 30 mils..... not Apache intermediate AK-47 style 30 mike mikes mind.

MI-24P Proper high rate of fire Kannon 30 mike mikes..... like the Ka-50. 

Actually, from the videos I've seen of Ps on the practice range? I think the Gsh-30-2 has a higher ROF than the KA-50's 2A42. As I said earlier, it's like a flying buzzsaw.

17 hours ago, S.E.Bulba said:

-Snipped for brevity-

This was a great post, thanks.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Gonna wind up buying both as they are iconic aircraft. ED has their hands tied by a Government's restrictions for information and modeling. You can be sure that a government has weighed in on what Hind is to be released. This is similar to the F-14A/B. I want the D but the US would have a fit (Iran issues) leading to less cooperation with ED over future products. We all wantX/Y, but we also want ED to continue to exist. The bigger the gun the more fun there is to be had, as DCS currently stands, ground troop engagement or truck convoys aren't as satisfying as light armor engagements. Hopefully this will change as AI improves. The gun on the Harrier was also nerfed with AP rounds replaced with HE rounds. There isn't as much fun to be had with HE rounds and RAZBAM refuses to put AP back in. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 4:40 AM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Actually, from the videos I've seen of Ps on the practice range? I think the Gsh-30-2 has a higher ROF than the KA-50's 2A42. As I said earlier, it's like a flying buzzsaw.

You should be able to set the rate of fire. At the highest rate the recoil alone makes it almost impossible to aim the gun. At the lowest rate of fire it should be quite accurate though. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

It's all situational. With the low rate of fire plus short burst length you can even one-tap the trigger and send single rounds downrange, perfect for picking out individual targets. At the high rate of fire, it's perfect for clusters of targets or for cases where you're not too confident on the firing solution so you line the helicopter up with the target and let out a nice long burst that'll draw a string of death between two points. For strafing convoys or airfields that's ideal.

1 hour ago, Morrov said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got either the D or the V at some point in the future

I would absolutely hope so, the V is basically identical, aside from the gun and obviously the different front cockpit.

And after the V? Well the D is pretty similar too, both cockpits should be essentially identical, as well as the 3D model (apart from maybe the ASO-2V countermeasures system, which was strap-on mod anyway AFAIK). The only real difference between the V and D AFAIK is a missile system, the 9M17P/9M17MP using essentially the same guidance system as on the Mi-24V and P 9M114.

Of course as far as I know - there might've been engine modifications between the variants.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:15 PM, Lucas_From_Hell said:

The Mi-24D had a different weapons system, armament, gunsight, engines and Lipa IRCM, plus changes to the external model.

It should be said that the V,  P and Mi-8 also have Lipa, just it's removed on the P we're getting and is wholly non-functional on our Hip. It also seems it would only be effective against the SA-9, and IR SAMs of a similar era (though I don't think we have any other than the SA-9).

The weapons system compared to the V is different, but I'd argue isn't all that significant. As I understand it, the 9M17P has the same guidance scheme, using the same sight as in our P - it shouldn't be that intensive a task at all, obviously if we were to get a D and it came with different versions of the 9M17 preceding the P, it would be another story - but it still should be less complex compared to others (such as the AGM-114K vs -114L). The main thing here is probably the 3D work and flight model of the different missile.

The external model changes isn't really significantly different to the V, the thing that's most obvious is the missile guidance antenna, which has a different shape and can swivel, that and maybe the countermeasure dispenser (which I think shares the same control panel) apart from that it looks mostly identical to the V.

The part that would require the most work is the drastically different front cockpit to incorporate the KPS-53AV, something that is common to both the V and the D as well as the YakB turret  - potentially requiring tweaks to the flight model (though not sure how significant).

The gunsight is different for the pilot, but is even more simple compared to the one on the V/P - in fact it looks identical to the one we already have on the Mi-8 - a more or less simple reflex sight that can be depressed.

Finally the engines, at a guess the difference is power, particularly in hot and high conditions - I'm speculating that from a development standpoint it doesn't seem like a whole lot of work at least compared to what we have in the Tomcat.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, Zergburger said:

However, when I considered how useless 7.62mm and 12.7mm weapons are in DCS

I thought this until I realised that the 12.7mm Kord door gunner in the Mi8 can kill IFVs

Edited by ftmch

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 5:26 AM, ftmch said:

I thought this until I realised that the 12.7mm Kord door gunner in the Mi8 can kill IFVs

12.7mm seems REALLY good until you realize that the AI gunner is going to be a hell of a lot more accurate than you are about it. I'm hoping that we'll see some greater use of the GUV pods on the Hind. As far as the YakB turret goes, It's most likely going to be an even worse version of the Huey's flexible sight without the benefit of having thousands of rounds of 7.62 on board. You would have to manually range and lead the target and aim using tracers, and at somewhere around 2000-3000 RPM you're gonna end up out of 1,200 rounds of 12.7 very quickly. 

One day it would be nice to have a V version of the hind for flexibility. I can definitely understand the choice for making the P version first and it is the version I generally prefer. But the V or earlier D versions seem to be the most widespread versions. So as to represent other countries and showing the history of the hind it would be nice to have one with the YakB turret.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought so too, until I tried the 30mm. It's brutal and accurate. Just enough punch to get through light and medium armored targets. It's also very risky to use, since to use one accurately you need to be flying directly at a target, and if it's firing back, well you get the picture....

The V version will not change anything, it's a smaller caliber, and as some have already mentioned requires significant lead to shoot anything properly, there is no targeting computer in the V. At best it would be a good troop suppression weapon, if such a thing were modelled in DCS. Since it is not, it's basically an interesting curiosity. 

If you wan't DAKKA, i think you're gonna have to wait for the Apache. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 4 weeks later...

I still fly regulary the Digital Hintegration Hind, altough it uses a modern HUD, the fun for the pilot is in that the gunner aims the gun, the pilot fires it.

• Like 1

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

On 7/6/2021 at 2:39 AM, Lurker said:

I thought so too, until I tried the 30mm. It's brutal and accurate. Just enough punch to get through light and medium armored targets. It's also very risky to use, since to use one accurately you need to be flying directly at a target, and if it's firing back, well you get the picture....

The V version will not change anything, it's a smaller caliber, and as some have already mentioned requires significant lead to shoot anything properly, there is no targeting computer in the V. At best it would be a good troop suppression weapon, if such a thing were modelled in DCS. Since it is not, it's basically an interesting curiosity. 

If you wan't DAKKA, i think you're gonna have to wait for the Apache. 

Honestly, flying over convoys looking through the missile sight - I had this sense of how useful it would be to have an off-boresight turret mounted gun for attacking trucks at close range - one could take out three or more in a single pass! So I think it'd be quite useful and fun - even if it jammed after only going through half its ammunition supply.

That said - anyone who isn't picking up the Mi-24 because of the fixed gun is being foolish - not only is the cannon effective, the aircraft is such an interesting joy to fly that you don't need any guns. It has quickly become far and away my favourite module (after the AJS-37 and the Su-25).

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, Stratos said:

I still fly regulary the Digital Hintegration Hind, altough it uses a modern HUD, the fun for the pilot is in that the gunner aims the gun, the pilot fires it.

I don't know why, but there's still something satisfactory with that...

Operator: "Mujagedin soldier"

Crosshair: *wanders somewhere*

Operator: "Target inna range!"

Pilot : *squeezes trigger*

Operator: "Gud kill!"

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made a small video of how Digital Integration Hind gunner work. 

- You activate the gunner target search, select the gun, he identifies and select the enemy target (in this case a Mujahideen soldier), and he calls when you're in proper range. The pilot fires the gun. Fun as hell.

Edited by Stratos
Corrected the video

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

• 3 weeks later...