DCS freeze at GBU-12 release with LTD/R armed

ExoLight

Hello,

I was making a flight in MP with someone to teach them a bit about A/G basics in the Hornet. When he tried to drop a GBU-12 on a target (Mode AUTO, EFUZ INST, DRAG FF, Code 1682), he had his LTD/R armed while I didn't. He immediately froze when he reached the drop cue. I didn't (probably because I had my LTD/R on SAFE) and continued. Later on, I dropped a GBU-12 on a different target (same parameters as before, but code 1788), this time with LTD/R on ARM so I could lase it myself. When the bomb was about to drop, my game immediately froze with no hope of recovery. I had to force-quit it.

Tracks and crash logs of both my wingman and I are linked here. We were both running the latest OB (2.5.6.61527).

Edited by ExoLight

• ED Team

Hi, 

thank you for the data, sadly the track replays would not play correctly for me. 

I have tried to reproduce myself but have been unable so far. 

Please ensure you have done a cleanup and repair or verify if steam, if you continue to get the freeze please add the log and track again I will be happy to recheck. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I also had the same problem.  When I pickled the GBU-12, I immediately got a freeze (TV/Monitor icon with the words "waiting").  I posted this issue on another thread with my DCS.log.  It was reviewed, but they could not see anything that would cause this issue.

For reference, i was hosting the mission with two other players.

Ah, it's "back" and someone else got this bug....

So, this was something which drove a few guys of my squadron (including myself) crazy - because we never were able to reproduce it.

We tried to do a DCS-repair, for some this solved the issue.

Basically we tested a few things and WE could use as workaround to load a SINGLE GBU instead of a dual-rack mounted one.

After we did this we could rearm using dual-racks and everything was fine.

We were never able to really nail it down to create a bug report because it was gone for us after a patch (I don't know which one, sorry).

Also it worked always correctly using a Hot-Hornet instead of a cold start - using a cold one we needed to load single GBUs first.

I highly recommend to do a DCS-Repair and check it again.

Also check if this happens on a specific map (for me, it only happened on Caucasus, every other map was fine).

The test scenarios for us were

- cold and hot start machines

- single and dual rack GBUs

- different maps

- Single and Multiplayer (We only encountered it in MP, not in SP)

But again, we were not really able to reproduce it correctly 😕 Thought it was fixed.

Update: I was remembered it was not only Caucasus, it happened to someone else on Persian Gulf.

Edited by kreisch

• ED Team

I have tried again this morning but have been unsuccessful so far. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

let's try with the same miz file of OP (taking it from the track file).

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• ED Team

Ive spent a good amount of time today trying to reproduce this, if anyone does experience this with a relatively short time period please check your appdata folder for the "lastmissiontrack.trk" we may get lucky 

example C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta 

appadata.PNG

I am experiencing the exact same thing: total dcs freeze at the very moment I press the pickle button to release a GBU-12. I have not run a lot of tests, but so far this happened to me 3 times (and seems reproduceable) on a dedicated server, on 2 different missions, Syria map. I had the double rack GBU-12 too. I provided my log@Flappie in another thread on this matter, but there's nothing of interest (actually, DCS does not crash, it just hangs as if it was waiting  for something, and ctrl alt del is the  only way out).

@BIGNEWY I don't understand what you're asking for in your here above post ?

edit: i was running the stable version

Edited by pcoud

• ED Team

if someone has a freeze or crash the above location may still contain the last track replay from the event, not always, but it's worth checking to get more clues. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

This definitely started happening only after GBU-24 was introduced and there is no rhyme or reason and hence it's, so far, irreproducible.

In the other thread, I posted a track and a tacview with some more details of it happening to two pilots on PG, within minutes of one another:

We are experiencing way more crashes still when releasing bombs, as well as during setting their parameters using the UFC OSB - this applies to other bombs, not just LGBs, but can be unrelated. I saw two patch note changelogs mentioning a line that sounds like an attempt to fix this, but it still happens on occasion.

:pilotfly: BrotherBloat

• ED Team

Please remove all unofficial mods ( if any ) run a full cleanup and repair. 

if you still get the issues attach your dcs log and if possible a track replay. 

It is the only way we will be able to investigate this more, as we are unable to reproduce

Thank you

• Thanks 1

Just happened across this thread! This happened to me at the weekend, just thought it was a random crash. F18, Syria, Cold and dark, Double gbu-12 outer pylons, LTD/R armed, game froze approx 1/2 second after releasing the first bomb. I didn't get a track, it was after a while of night flying so track would have been too long anyway. I've played DCS since so may have overwritten log files. I'll try to reproduce if its an actual bug but there won't be a trackfile if it actually freezes.....

Edited by Hoirtel

2 minutes ago, kreisch said:

A track is really necessary since we have several guys trying to reproduce it and bascially - we can't!

Even I can't reproduce it and I was definately affected by this one. 4 of my squadron tried to do it as well and were not successful.

How do you record a track if the game crashes?

Edit: Ignore, this! Just seen BN's post above.

Edited by Hoirtel

On 2/23/2021 at 4:22 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Ive spent a good amount of time today trying to reproduce this, if anyone does experience this with a relatively short time period please check your appdata folder for the "lastmissiontrack.trk" we may get lucky 

example C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta 

appadata.PNG

See here 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A member of our group was encountering this issue. Upon examining his logs immediately after a GBU related crash, we noticed that the last events logged involved Tacview. On a hunch we entirely removed Tacview and all associated scripts and the problem was solved.

5 hours ago, bainsy said:

A member of our group was encountering this issue. Upon examining his logs immediately after a GBU related crash, we noticed that the last events logged involved Tacview. On a hunch we entirely removed Tacview and all associated scripts and the problem was solved.

Server side or client side?

We shut down Tacview on the servers a longer time ago and never encountered this bug again....might be a coincidence?

1 hour ago, kreisch said:

Server side or client side?

We shut down Tacview on the servers a longer time ago and never encountered this bug again....might be a coincidence?

Client side. Tacview was not running server side.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

LastMissionTrack.trk Sorry if this is a duplicate of something that's been fixed. I never post on the forums but I wanted to do my part to help out.  This happened to me this evening and yesterday evening as well.

I'm on Open Beta, the latest version as of this time of this post which is 2.7.1.71390.  I'm using a warthog stick and throttle.

Map is SYRIA, might have been through the inferno latest. 

No custom mods or anything running that I know of, but I will double check tomorrow.

Bear with me because I'm trying to remember the exact steps from memory.  I've had this twice in 2 days, I actually think I might be able to reproduce this and I will definitely try. I think has something to do with the order of operations leading up the to REL 

1.  F18 hornet, took off from mother loaded with GBU-12 rack and some J82's if I recall.

2. Set a waypoint using the precise method, MGRS grid point set, via right DDI and UFC.   Weapon was a GBU-12.  I also set about 4 mark points when I was in the area of the target.

3. A/G mode, Master arm on, LTDR on, using the ATFLIR

4. Weapon mode set to Auto

5. Code set to 1688, I actually remember typing it in twice because I thought I fat fingered it.

6. EFUZ set to  INST I think

7. FLIR is on

8. WPT set and WYPT designate on

9. I roll in on target and the last thing I did was box the TRIGGER option in the right DDI

10. Attempt release and the game hard freezes

I found a half written log file and I will attach it here. I hope this helps someone, because there's definitely a bug here.

dcs.log