Question on Non-Supercarrier ATC

Recluse

So I bought SuperCarrier at the same time as F/A-18C, so have never really experienced NON-Supercarrier comms, though I have watched Matt Wagner's initial videos. When I use the Stennis in Single Player, all the comms are SuperCarrier standard.

I fly in Multiplayer with some folks who don't have Supercarrier, (and usually HOST) so with the Stennis, the comms from ATC are the abbreviated kind. When I call INBOUND,  the ATC gives me the course but always give the INVERSE course as runway landing. For example,  "Course 268, Runway 90 to Pattern Altitude" though the carrier is definitely on BRC of ~270 degrees.

I have the Carrier group with single WP Heading about 270. TACAN and ICLS working fine. Just perplexed by the ATC call. Any Ideas? Can't test it in Single Player as I get all the SuperCarrier comms (correctly) with Stennis.

Edited by Recluse
Clarified Non-Supercarrier HOST

Geeze, it's been so long since I've used it now, I can't recall if it ever worked right ...

Is the given runway heading always the inverse? Do you have the wind set up to be right down the deck? Maybe the default ATC is treating the carrier exactly like a runway, which can be used in either direction.

I've only experienced it in that one mission (when run on a server by a Non-Supercarrier owning host). It DOES seem like the ATC is considering the runway as having two directions.

It occurs every time in THAT mission.  There is actually NO wind setup in that mission (I probably should rectify that...so there is some wind over the deck..)

I will have to setup another one and have him host to check comms.  When I watched Matt Wagner's old video, the Carrier ATC did give the "runway" in accordance with the correct Carrier orientation.

4 hours ago, Recluse said:

It occurs every time in THAT mission.  There is actually NO wind setup in that mission (I probably should rectify that...so there is some wind over the deck..)

Yah, that may be your problem. The default ATC was designed for use on land bases where you can land either way on a runway. It will pick the direction based on current wind conditions. If the carrier is set up as sailing into the wing, this should not be a problem as it should pick the correct direction. But with no wind, it's probably a crap shoot?

I'll try it with some wind. Surely there must be someone here without SuperCarrier who has experienced ATC from the Stennis and can confirm?  I have to admit that i was dubious about SuperCarrier at first, but the bundle with F/A-18 was too good to pass up. Now I can't imagine launching without the deck crew's assistance 🙂

• Like 1