4G network question

I'm having awful problems with my BT broadband connection at the most critical times. As I live in a rural area if they leave things alone, I get a good enough speed to multiplay well. I complained and was offered 4G. I did a bit of research and there is nothing regarding port forwarding. Has anyone tried this? Any help would be great as I will stick with what I have until fibre reaches us.

Cheers

Steve

I'm gonna assume from your spelling of "fibre" that your're in GB ? 

Have you considered Starlink ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hi Svsmokey

No I haven't. We are very limited here in the Highlands of Scotland. A real pain as some have it and others can't. I am hoping for the Fibre role out soon. We really are a backward country when it comes to internet connections and very slow speeds. I will have a look at Starlink

Cheers

98abaile, have you been able to port forward? After calling bt again and again, I am sure they are slowing my broadband down.

Everytime I have told them that I need the internet, bam, up it goes. In this country it is a case of rob Peter to pay Paul. Very sad indeed.

Update : After god knows how many engineers, seems today that the latest one found a fault in the wiring outside somewhere and they say it has been fixed. Did a test and happy with speed so lets hope it stays like that. Back to multiplayer !!

Edited by tmansteve

4G is a mobile network and most times if not always all devices connected to it are in a CGN ( Carrier Grade Network ) behind a ISP operated BIG router, aka NATed and NO portforwarding is possible at all.

Even if it did, the ping/latency penalty is bad, not sure if it was usable for DCS where ping is very critical.

Just now, BitMaster said:

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have a Netgear M1 connected to my home WiFi Mesh via the Synology Router with an O2 data sim. I installed an external 4G/5G antenna beside the satellite dish to get the best reception and to act as a bit of future proofing 

I can reach downloads in excess of 100 Mbps though I am pretty close to the cell mast. The ping is around 40 ms, so not too bad though do not use for multi player. This compares with 20 Mbps with fibre and a ping of 20 ms.

I did try a 3 Sim, which was cheaper and achieved 80 Mbps download with a ping of around 27 ms, but one weekend it was struggling to connect so I cancelled.

Vodafone somehow recognises that the SIM is not in a phone and tablet and throttles the connection to around 30 Mbps - if you have Vodafone in your area I recommend VOXI

Interesting thing is when you disconnect the broadband not only do you save money on the data contract but you can cancel the landline as well. Doesn't pay for the hardware but during lockdown a family of 5 accessing data was killing the broadband

https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/mobile-broadband/mobilerouters/M1.aspx?cid=uk-nh-m1-srch-cpc&utm_source=search&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk-nh-m1-srch-cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrJneu-eC7wIVjd_tCh05lQoyEAAYASAAEgKsnfD_BwE

Edited by Lynchsl62

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1