Dangerous Waters on DCS - any interest?

nbowling

I know this may seem a little a little odd for this forum but I have wondered for some time now whether DCS World could be expanded to include a little more naval operations. Some years ago a group called Sonalysts produced a series of submarine simulators the last of which was Dangerous Waters. This sim had many of the characteristics of DCS in that it was highly immersive, could be used in a milsim fashion and required a lot of effort to get good. I think a modern version would be a good fit for DCS World. Sonalyst have not updated the software for years and it won't even run on Windows 10 without a lot of hacking. My question is. Is there any scope for a third party developer to approach or work with Sonalysts to migrate and update the software to make it a DCS World Module? Dangerous Waters still has a large player base and active Steam forum. Would there be sufficient interest from DCS users? The nearest currently available submarine sim that comes close is Cold Waters but sadly this does not even approach the complexity and immersiveness of Dangerous Waters. I would be grateful for any thoughts from you all.

www.Sonalysts.com

Many thanks

Nick

• Like 4

Just now, Hog_driver said:

Wouldn't it be simpler just to make a remake of Dangerous Waters? I'd gladly buy and play it.

Sadly Sonalysts have steadfastly refused to update it. They are very much into military sims and software for the "real thing." I just think that DCS / Eagle Dynamics have gained so much momentum now that Sonalysts may see an advantage to working with them or licencing the software. I think it would fit well with the current maps and also future maps and would, I suppose, be a development of Combined Arms.

I have to admit to really missing Dangerous Waters - trying to run it on Win 10 is dreadful.

N

I am waiting for Modern Naval Warfare as the true successor toDangerous Waters 

https://mnw.maslasbros.com

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

I agree 1000% on Dangerous Waters.  I would definitely buy it. 

F-14 | F-15 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AV-8B | A-10 |

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RYZEN 5 1400 | GTX 1050 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 1TB HDD| Track IR | TM T16000M FCS HOTAS | TM TFRP Rudder :pilotfly:

I played Sonalyst's Dangerous Waters a lot.

I would be definitely interested, but yes, this had to be made as 3rd party module since ED wouldn't have any spare time or experience to make it.

It had P-3C Orion land based anti submarine aircraft, SH-60 Seahawk naval based anti submarine helicopter and naval assets.

-----

To be honest P-3C and SH-60 would be interesting even by their own assuming submarine aspect would be present in DCS, hunting Soviet submarines to protect carrier group with i.e. F-14A, A-6E and A-7E on board.

Em6M7d.jpg

0ba88545f6b785685ea9f122859e0662.jpg

Edited by bies
  • Like 1

This is the second thread I have seen on this very subject.  I totally agree that the Naval operations needs to be improved and expanded. The main issue is that DCS already has most of their resources tided up in with what they do best which is aircraft. I recently saw the game play demo for a new Submarine simulator that is under development called Modern Navel Warfare that is light years ahead of what ED would be able to do. The developers are actually looking for a producer or funding to get this project going.  So this would be a great opportunity for DCS to collaborate together to bring this great submarine simulation to DCS as a module. That way ED does not have to devote too much of their precious time and resources to expand Naval operations in DCS.

Edited by Evoman

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this. I’m glad I’m not the only one who misses DW. I take the well made points about stuff already in the pipeline and will keep an eye out. I was so disappointed with Cold Waters which promised a lot of DW but basically turned out to be a glorified video game so I’m a bit suspicious of where Microprose will go with Sea Power. Modern Naval Warfare could well be the answer and maybe DCS could help.

N

Having some fond memories of that myself, as well as some of its predecessors. I definitely like the idea, but personally would suggest to take a few smaller steps in between. The idea of a 'SAM simulator' module that goes a bit beyond Combined Arms for the more advanced multi-vehicle SAM sites was floated a while back and perhaps that is a more obvious way to go for now. I mean, both concepts would potentially be a bit more 'slow-moving' yet technically interesting ways to enjoy DCS. And simulating any ship's systems is a huge undertaking, I reckon. So perhaps, get a decent 'from the station' simulation of select air defence systems, then add the naval versions of these systems and then take it from there.