units attack

joojoo

hey to all

Since I am new in CA I have somw questions

1. Why when I try to set up a target when I hit set up the target line moves miles away from the target? maybe outside the map but when I don't hit set up the attack takes place normally?

2. When I try to set up a target for an AI aircraft the aircraft does not drops the number of bombs that I have set up?

3. Is there any command for landing an AI aircraft on an airfield?

I attach some pics 

Thanx  

CA1.JPG

set.JPG

target.JPG

The only easy thing. I have chosen 2 bombers B52h as well as B2 spirit from military aircraft mod. B52 carries cruise missiles while the B2 mk82 bombs. I can attach mission miz if needed. 

bandar e Jask area is the target. 

I also want to add that the same applies for ground units (artillery) when I try to use the set option, when I don’t use the set option but simply pick a target on the map, the attack takes place normally

Okay mate see if you can pick up any clues from this; I haven't got a B-2 Spirit so I used the B-52H and loaded it with 51 x Mk82 iron bombs.

1- The AI B-52H is at bottom left, and I've placed a tanker in the harbour to drop the eggs on..

b521.png%5D

2- A closeup of the tanker, I placed the targetting triangle smack on it.

The great thing about the 'Ground Attack' task is that your bomber will simply drop iron bombs on the triangle wherever it happens to be, such as on a ship, bridge, building, fish and chip shop or whatever without the hassle of having to lock on..

b522.jpg

3- The bomb doors automatically open, I set 'Release quantity=ALL', hehe..:)

b523.jpg

4- Eggs away..:)

b524.jpg

5- Near miss, there's unguided dumb bombs for you, grrr..

b525.png

6- In this next test I dragged the targetting triangle over the runway and the stick of bombs just missed, grrr again..

b526.png

7- And finally I dragged the triangle into the middle of the town, eat this Charlie because dumb unguided bombs can't miss a town..:)

b527.jpg

TACTICAL NOTE- I don't know why the bombs missed the tanker and runway, the B-52 skill was 'veteran' so maybe I should have used 'Ace'.

Also there was a 10-knot wind from the north (left is north in the shots) which might have pushed the bombs to the right.

Or the wind might have been making the plane itself drift right.

And there might be a 'random accuracy' factor built into the game's dumb bombs to differentiate them from smart munitions, which makes sense.

No sweat, because when scen-designing we can use more than 1 bomber and place each triangle at a slightly different spot so that at least one stick of bombs will hopefully straddle the target.

And of course we can always use smart bombs and guided weapons to guarantee an almost certain hit on point targets..:)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

If I remember correctly... there was a bug with set coordinates (might have been fixed), where when you type the coordinates and hit set, it would put a marker in the wrong place. 

Due to the simplistic nature of giving commands to the AI while in-game there are limitations. If you want to hit a specific target, with a specific weapon a specific amount of times, you are better off setting it up in the mission editor.

Now, saying that... it does not mean that you cannot get partial success while in-game. Make sure the AI is setup with the correct role and weapons and when you give him units to attack suitable to his role, he will use as many weapons as he needs to destroy the target.

The only way to make AI RTB, after you have given them commands while in-game is if you have a trigger setup, using the radio menu to give em an "AI PUSH TASK" to go back to their landing WP (Or what I like to do, is push them to a WP setup on the approach to their airfield).

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

3 hours ago, joojoo said:

Many thanx for your reply but it’s not the case. My problem is in combined arms when I try to set up a target via F10 map. When I hit the option set, the target triangle moves beyond the map limits.. 

that’s the problem....

Well heed Livers sage advice and don't hit the Set button..:)

Your original question was about clobbering a runway with B-52H-launched cruise missiles, so here's how I've just done it-

1- Select 'Ground Attack' in the editor..

1.png

2- Load for bear with 8 x cruise missiles..

2.png

3- Start the scen and you'll see something like this..

3.png

4- PAUSE the game and hit 'Add target' 8 times to place 8 target markers along the runway (or on anything else you want to clobber)..

4.png

5- Hit Unpause to start the game and the cruise missiles will begin dropping out of the bomb bay at intervals of a few seconds. (i've red circled the target runway)...

5.png

6- Birds away! Having done its job, the B-52 turns to head off home for tea and medals..

6.png

7- the birds hit home..:)

7.png

Edited by PoorOldSpike

On 2/19/2021 at 11:33 PM, PoorOldSpike said:

b522.jpg

3- The bomb doors automatically open, I set 'Release quantity=ALL', hehe..:)

b523.jpg

5- Near miss, there's unguided dumb bombs for you, grrr..

b525.png

6- In this next test I dragged the targetting triangle over the runway and the stick of bombs just missed, grrr again..

b526.png

TACTICAL NOTE- I don't know why the bombs missed the tanker and runway, the B-52 skill was 'veteran' so maybe I should have used 'Ace'.

Also there was a 10-knot wind from the north (left is north in the shots) which might have pushed the bombs to the right.

Or the wind might have been making the plane itself drift right.

And there might be a 'random accuracy' factor built into the game's dumb bombs to differentiate them from smart munitions, which makes sense.

No sweat, because when scen-designing we can use more than 1 bomber and place each triangle at a slightly different spot so that at least one stick of bombs will hopefully straddle the target.

And of course we can always use smart bombs and guided weapons to guarantee an almost certain hit on point targets..:)

I was wondering if you know whether setting the attack quantity to >1 so that the payload is released over multiple runs has any effect? Is the AI able to make adjustments for things like wind direction for example with each successive bombing run to try and correct?

6 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

I was wondering if you know whether setting the attack quantity to >1 so that the payload is released over multiple runs has any effect? Is the AI able to make adjustments for things like wind direction for example with each successive bombing run to try and correct?

Firstly, these new tests show that wind direction does affect iron bombs drift.

Pic 1- I targetted our old friend the Tanker with a B-523H's mk82 bombs.

Pic 2- I dropped the whole stick at once and the wind (12 knots) pushed them to the right.

Pic 3- Then I changed the wind direction and ran the test again and the wind pushed the stick to the left.

Pic 4- Then I set wind speed to zero and the stick straddled the tanker without any drift.

(Incidentally I also found that the pilot and bomb aimer don't learn to correct for drift, so if you make two bomb runs in wind, dropping half the load each time, the first stick will drift but they won't correct for the second run, and that stick will drift too.)

DCS-wind-stick.jpg

Below: Secondly some good news😎

Pic 1- If only 1 or 2 bombs are released in each bomb run, they never miss even if there's wind.

Pic 2- But if a stick of 4 or a quarter of the bomb load is released in each bomb run, wind drift begins to set in, and they usually miss.

Incidentally, if half or more of the load is released, all will miss if there's any wind.

DCS-dropped-bombs-B.jpg

SUMMARY (remember the tests were with a B-52H and Mk82 iron bombs)

1- If there's no wind, iron bombs won't drift.

2- If there is wind, dropping half or the entire bomb load at once will see them all drift and miss the target.

3- To guarantee a hit, only drop 1 or 2 bombs and make multiple runs, dropping 1 or 2 each run.

(Note: 1 bomb didn't always sink a tanker, but 2 always did)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

There are two ways round the wind drift thing..😀

Pic 1- if we know which way the wind's blowing in a scenario we can make our attack directly into the wind like this.

Pic 2- And that's a bingo, the stick of bombs straddles the tanker.

(we could also attack downwind with the same no-drift result.)

(Note: there's no guarantee that any bombs in a stick will actually hit depending how far apart each individual bomb is, but in this test the tanker was unlucky)

dcs-wind.jpg

Below:

Pic 1- The other way to overcome wind drift is to place the targetting triangle slightly upwind like in Pic 1, and keep your fingers crossed that you've guessed the distance correctly.

Pic 2- I guessed right (after about 4 attempts).. 

dcs-wind66.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

23 hours ago, PoorOldSpike said:

Pic 1- If only 1 or 2 bombs are released in each bomb run, they never miss even if there's wind.

Pic 2- But if a stick of 4 or a quarter of the bomb load is released in each bomb run, wind drift begins to set in, and they usually miss.

Incidentally, if half or more of the load is released, all will miss if there's any wind.

SUMMARY (remember the tests were with a B-52H and Mk82 iron bombs)

1- If there's no wind, iron bombs won't drift.

2- If there is wind, dropping half or the entire bomb load at once will see them all drift and miss the target.

3- To guarantee a hit, only drop 1 or 2 bombs and make multiple runs, dropping 1 or 2 each run.

(Note: 1 bomb didn't always sink a tanker, but 2 always did)

Yeah I think bombs drifting because of wind would fall under the intuitive category. But when you say "they never miss", how many times did you test it? Did you try different wind speeds to see if it affects drift when just 1, or 2 bombs are dropped?

4 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Yeah I think bombs drifting because of wind would fall under the intuitive category. But when you say "they never miss", how many times did you test it? Did you try different wind speeds to see if it affects drift when just 1, or 2 bombs are dropped?

Yeah I ran multiple tests, here's another I just did-

1- I set a 50 mph wind from the left, confirmed by the way the B-52 is crabbing sideways along the blue arrow to counteract the drift.

I also placed a smoke marker (circled) which is being blown almost horizontally by the gale, and note how the wind is churning up the sea..

2- I released 2 Mk82's and they both smacked into the tanker, confirming again that 2 bombs never miss despite the raging gale..

3- For good measure I then dropped the whole bombload on the next run, the first few bombs almost hit the tanker, but the wind pushed the rest out to sea, confirming again what we saw in earlier tests that a whole stick is not guaranteed to hit anything in a crosswind, but releasing just 1 or 2 bombs will score hits, I never saw them miss any time.

dcs-drift767.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike
  • Like 1