Pre warm up option

Snapage

Could we please have a pre warmup setting in the options for the WW2 planes. Similar to the instruments already aligned setting for the jets so we have an option to not sit on the ground for 10 minutes waiting for the engine to warm up every time we get a new plane.

• Like 5

No, I would like an option in special for the aircraft to be pre warmed similar to how there are options under the AV-8B harrier and M2000C mirage for the instruments to be pre aligned. This way you can still enjoy starting the plane up without having to sit on the ground doing nothing waiting for the engine to warm up. That way people who prefer to warm the engine up can still have that option as well.

• Like 3

Okay, I see where you're coming from and get why because I like doing start up too, but isn't that going to result in an illogical scenario?

The other aircraft in your examples don't require an engine start for their instruments to be warmed up. Ground crew do it and leave the aircraft plugged into the mains until the pilot is ready for a flight, at which point the engine is started. It's representing rapid alert aircraft rather than cold and dark.

For the Anton, you're asking for the ground crew to start and run up the engine to temperature, keep it running so it stays at proper temp, then to shut it off when the pilot appears so the pilot (you) can restart it immediately. Even ignoring any fuel burn, that's a kinda odd scenario, right? Why wouldn't the crew just leave it running so the pilot gets into a warm and already running plane?

Planes are typically placed on servers on the ramp with engine off. So thats why I would like a setting for the engine to be pre warmed. If it had to be an option that had the engine running for you on start up for realism sake then I would be fine with it; As long as its a client side option that works on cold start aircraft on servers. The main goal is to have the option to not have to wait 8 or so minutes every time you get a new plane on a server.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buzzles said:

Okay, I see where you're coming from and get why because I like doing start up too, but isn't that going to result in an illogical scenario?

The other aircraft in your examples don't require an engine start for their instruments to be warmed up. Ground crew do it and leave the aircraft plugged into the mains until the pilot is ready for a flight, at which point the engine is started. It's representing rapid alert aircraft rather than cold and dark.

For the Anton, you're asking for the ground crew to start and run up the engine to temperature, keep it running so it stays at proper temp, then to shut it off when the pilot appears so the pilot (you) can restart it immediately. Even ignoring any fuel burn, that's a kinda odd scenario, right? Why wouldn't the crew just leave it running so the pilot gets into a warm and already running plane?

While I don't know how the ground crew did it with the 190, there where several methods available for the ground crew to warm up engines of a plane without starting the engine itself.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:24 AM, Buzzles said:

... you're asking for the ground crew to start and run up the engine to temperature, keep it running so it stays at proper temp, then to shut it off when the pilot appears so the pilot (you) can restart it immediately. Even ignoring any fuel burn, that's a kinda odd scenario, right? Why wouldn't the crew just leave it running so the pilot gets into a warm and already running plane?

Yes, but this way of describing it makes it seem a bit silly.
In reality, ground crews DID conduct the warm-up of aircraft, before the pilots walked/ drove out to the flight line.
This was done especially for aircraft which needed to be at high states of readiness, or were to be used on dawn sorties. The warmups would often happen before sunrise. Then engines would then be shut down until the pilot arrived. It would take quite some time for the aircraft too fully cool back down again.

The pilot would then do all the safety/ pre-flight checks before starting the engine.

This is the sort of thing we are talking about, from Pierre Closterman's "The Big Show" book:

spitwarmup.jpg

Edited by philstyle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

If it's realistic as an option (it appears that it is) I am all for it. I imagine it's really obnoxious for the multiplayer folks who can't time accelerate.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this. 

Tonight I fired up the Anton, thought I let her warm up enough, took off, engine seized shortly thereafter..., switched to the Tomcat. 

I really like the  Fw190-A8, but the more I fly her, the more annoying the engine warm up is getting. Would love a 'fun enhancing' pre-warmed option in the settings.

Cheers

• Like 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

I support this request. It passes the "realism test" that some purists always require. At the Eastern front in winter, they even warmed up the engine before they even started it because it was extremely cold and it was impossible to start the engine with the oil almost solid. This option would be more realistic than auto-start which as far as I recall is available even in MP.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Since using @grafspee recommendations of running the engine at 1100-1200 rpm from cold, I've not encountered any problems and before it was quitting on me all the time

What I do is throttle up to to 1100 give or take and then straight out and taxi using the brakes, don't touch the throttle. If a medium to long taxi is required with the radiator shut, default on start I believe, by the time I reach the runway I'm pretty much good to go with minimum temp

I also try to stay clear of the RPM range idle to 1000rpm where the aircraft shakes, I don't know if that is also modelled to break the engine, but better safe than sorry

Pre warmed option would be good for MP, as you are at the mercy of the server on the aircraft state, of course you might find that if it's introduced then the server might disable it.

I've never checked but when starting from taxi I'd have thought it was already warm, but that's just a guess

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Weegie said:

I've never checked but when starting from taxi I'd have thought it was already warm, but that's just a guess

Yes, if you use spawn with engine running, engine is warmed up, but ppl here want to spawn with engine off but warmed up.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

18 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Well, to be fair, with campaigns you have no option to spawn with the engine already running. 

That's not generally true; it depends on how the missions in the campaign have been set up.

To be clear: It's not an option for the camapaign user. But the campaigh/mission designer can of course design the missions so that you start with a running engine.

And of course you can modify the missions in the campaign so they start with engines running. (all files related to the campaign copied to Saved Games of course, so it's "your" campaign and doesnt get overwritten by updates)

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes, I meant the user doesn't have the option, sorry if that wasn't completely obvious. You can't modify purchased campaigns and save the changes, so you have to load each mission into the editor and change it each time you fly it. And then it's no longer a campaign with tracked progress. But we all know all this stuff.

The most sensible is a pre-warmed option in settings - much like a pre-aligned option some modules already have. And there's already take-off assistance available in the warbirds, so I can't imagine, conceptually,  this would be such a big deal to implement. It would be a significant improvement in my opinion.

• Like 2

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2