F-5E Cold Start Training Mission with English Voice Instruction (updated!)

Johnny Dioxin

Here is the final RC for the first mission. I'll be replacing the files in the User Section with this one.

I just "flew" it myself and after setting the volumes correctly (as advised at the start of the lesson) I had zero issues hearing all of the instructions all the way through, with an open canopy - in fact it was bordering on too loud (at 100% in helmet setting).

I'll now get on with compiling all the other missions as everything is done and ready to go.

edit - use the original link where the file has now been updated:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315158/

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• Johnny Dioxin changed the title to F-5E Cold Start Training Mission with English Voice Instruction (updated!)
1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

... I had zero issues hearing all of the instructions all the way through, with an open canopy - in fact it was bordering on too loud (at 100% in helmet setting).

Hello, 

Yes, now the audio is perfect both in volume and in clarity .. and your voice sounds just right for a senior instructor 🙂  ... I had no trouble using the same audio levels that I use for all my other missions, no need to use 100% helmet:

GGhzGjO.jpg

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the feedback. I was unsure if it might sound a bit bassy but that's good - now I can remix all the other training missions lines and get this baby wrapped up!

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 2 weeks later...

The project is going along nicely - I have half of the training missions finished (minus 3 lines I have to rework cos they are too bassy but that's like 5 minute's work) having just flown them all to test today.

When all of them are finished, I will upload to the user files section, but I wanted to say that I will be doing a second "Advanced" version after this, which will have no references to assignments and I hope will have no screen text at all - so you listen to the instructor tell you what to do and that's it. I'll have to check how well it works, but I don't see why it shouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kneeboard Guides

6 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

... I will be doing a second "Advanced" version after this, which will have no references to assignments and I hope will have no screen text at all - so you listen to the instructor tell you what to do and that's it. I'll have to check how well it works, but I don't see why it shouldn't.

No, please .. remember that a lot of DCS users are not english native speakers and while they maybe can understand a lot of the voices, it is useful to have the text as a backup for when one doesnt understands a word or two. 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I just tried your TM, and I must say, I think you've done a great job. Perfect audio!

I've always felt that the F-5E TMs are a big let down with only text and no audio. Really puts new users off, I would think, especially the weapons ones. So much text that it is impossible to follow it and the procedures.

When do you think you will have the others available?  I'm looking forward to trying them!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hi Guys, I was planning to release the missions today, but I've come across some things that need adjusting, which I'll do as soon as I can. I had the Covid vaccine last week and have some side-effects, including completely losing my voice! So I can't record any replacement lines - just have to adjust the ones I already did.

Shouldn't be long.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Sorry to hear about your health issue.

I was lucky, as I didn't had any side effects from the first dose of mine ... but will not sing victory before time, as my second dose is due on the 31st 😞  let's hope it wont have side effects.

Thanks, yes - many of my friends and relatives were okay after the vaccine, though not all of them and my wife had to be sent home from work, due to dizzy spells and dehydration, which I've also had on my daily dog walks. It's just a resulting sore throat that lost me my vocals.

I was hoping I'd have the missions done today anyway, as I've managed to re-edit the lines and am much happier with them, but unfortunately, I just found the scripting for the guided bombs tutorial is something of a mess, so that will need flying to see how it pans out and then hopefully I'll be finished by end of tomorrow and can upload the files.

Kneeboard Guides

34 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

... unfortunately, I just found the scripting for the guided bombs tutorial is something of a mess, so that will need flying to see how it pans out and then hopefully I'll be finished by end of tomorrow and can upload the files.

I have experienced the same .. Training missions can be sometimes a real handful, but I love the challenge, it is very satisfying when a finished missions plays out correctly. I'm currently working on a Training set for the A-29B user Mod, only three missions so far, but I intend to do more on the coming days:

tB5FINw.jpg

Cheers 🙂

Ah, I was very tempted by that mod when I saw it a couple of days ago (I think). I was put off by the cockpit displays - same reason I haven't got the JF-17, which otherwise looks like a great aircraft. I just don't like 'glass' cockpits, much preferring "steam gauge" style like the FC3 aircraft and this F-5E and the other analogue modules - although I may make an exception for the Apache, have to see. Although the Hornet is not a glass 'pit. it has 3 displays - and that's pushing it! But I bought that anyway, as I didn't know the F-16 was coming. Had I known... oh well, water under the bridge - it sits there unused, though.

As for the training - I was quite surprised to find these issues because it's just the one of the tutorials. The others are pretty much okay apart from the poor grammar and I think many of the explanations are more complicated than they need to be or not using the best words. I did change some of them in the voice lines, but some I left as is. It's tempting to change the text messages, but I decided to leave them as they are, too.

The one, guided bomb tutorial file has 3 intro lines almost the same and two JTAC lines the same, which is why I'm about to fly it and see what happens. A lot of the later lines have "pickle" sounds in the file, but they are not actually implemented, which is puzzling.

I flew most of the others, but didn't complete the navigation one - this is one that I think is explained in a more complicated way than it needs to be. Also the "wing mechanization system" just sounds horrible. It's probably straight out of the NATOPs or whatever manual, but it's a crap title for a system, imho. 'Flap automation system' - or 'automatic flap system' or even 'automatic wing control surface system' would seem to be better ones. Then you could also implement a nice sounding acronym such as "FLATS", "AFLAS" or "ACOS" 😃

spellling
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Yup - the unguided bombs tutorial mission is a complete mess.

If anyone can have a look and comfirm this, I'd be grateful.

Specifically: It's not possible to bring up the radio menu at any time: It's therefore not possible to carry out the instructions concerning JTAC comms, even after active pause has been released: On active pause release, the JTAC interaction text reappears and stays on the screen indefinitely and it's still not possible to bring up the comms menu (by both HOTAS assigned button or the keyboard). The mission therefore has to be abandoned.

I may be able to fix it - I don't know at this stage.

Shame, cos the voiceovers I did for this sound very nice!

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

For me, there is no JTAC on the unguided bombs TM.  It works fine, AFAICS.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thank you - was about to give up. Everything has been ready since my last post, but I needed to know if the bugs were mine or with the sim.

That is weird, though, as it's a new, clean install and zero issues and good performance so far - and no mods at all. I'll probably just upload with the proviso that the guided bombs tute is unlikely to work.

Kneeboard Guides

Sorry, you said the unguided bombs one.  I'll give the guided one a go now!

Yep, the guided bomb TM works perfectly too. All JTAC comms are fine.

When you say it's not possible to bring up the radio menu, you're not thinking of the Communication Menu are you?  That doesn't work in flight. You have to use the UHF Radio Microphone button for communications.

Sorry if that brings up grandmothers and sucking eggs! Just a thought.

Also, I'm wondering if maybe you are trying to reach the menu with 'rt alt + \' which, of course doesn't work on UK keyboards.  The '\' is '#' on UK kbs, so the command for the radio menu is 'rt alt + #' unless you rebind it.  My '\' shows up as 'OEM' in DCS.

The radio menu is assigned to my HOTAS - and it works in every other mission I've flown with the F-5 where radio comms is required.

The mission files were uploaded this morning - just awaiting approval.

Kneeboard Guides

And it’s definitely the UHF Radio Microphone you have bound? It’s got to be something like this to cause it not to work for you. 

Good news on the missions. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 11:37 PM, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

The radio menu is assigned to my HOTAS - and it works in every other mission I've flown with the F-5 where radio comms is required.

The mission files were uploaded this morning - just awaiting approval.

Whatever happened to these missions?

Thanks Stuart.

Strange that the author didn't respond here.  Also strange that they don't show up when doing a search for F-5E missions on the site which is what I was doing.  Seems that they are listed under Other.  

I'll give them a go later, as this could be a great boon for new F-5E pilots as I seem to recall that the originals were pretty hard to follow with no voice.

Oh well, thanks again.

• Like 1

indeed their presence has re-encouraged my engagement in the F-5E 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Great - pleased to hear it.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of the "Advanced" version being completed are getting remote. I've done the start-up mission, maybe another one or two, but I can't continue with them right now as I have almost lost my voice and it's a long term thing ( a side-effect of medical treatment ) so it may not be released after all - but never say "never". Who knows, maybe in a few months things will be better. I've been unable to fly for some time now, as well, so it's not looking good all round.

I'll post again if I can get it finished.

• Like 3

Kneeboard Guides