DCS 2.7

baksie

1 hour ago, baksie said:

So what all can we expect in 2.7??

Chiefly improvements to environmental modelling, namely new clouds. But I reckon 2.7 will also include provisions to facilitate numerous other improvements, many of which described in the 2021 newsletter.

The new clouds will be something coming basically straight away, there are numerous other things. IIRC the WIP Marianas map is a test bed for new terrain technology.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The only thing I know of specifically are clouds. I don't know if ED has ever mentioned other specifics for the next major release. I know in 2.5.6 release they mentioned the big improvement was lighting and other gfx effects.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I hope 2.7 will also bring us things like improved cpu usage (multithreading? Sorry I'm not really into this technical computer stuff)

As most people here, I'm already struggling to find a balance between decent framerates and graphics.

Seeing those beautiful clouds, make me wonder if I'll still be able to smoothly run DCS 2.7 in VR

(Not that I don't want to upgrade my GPU, but the current market shortage won't allow me to)

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 2/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, sirrah said:

I hope 2.7 will also bring us things like improved cpu usage (multithreading? Sorry I'm not really into this technical computer stuff)

I'm afraid that won't be the case, because that is planned for Q3-Q4 2021 right now whichcould also change.

I think, with the announcement of the F/A-18C updates, it probably makes the groundwork, or will come right with it, the ATFLIR support, the proper FLIR rendering, and that's a big deal as big as new clouds almost, give or take technically at least, and will come with a big update to all the terrains or at least some terrains initially.

All this new big underlying tech is also what probably fueled the convenience to drop Win7 support, but all the graphics API and multithreading stuff coming later, probably as well.

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 2

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

That one will likely arrive with DCS 3.0 .
Personally I do expect some juicy not-yet announced features in 2.7 however, given the fact that 2.6 was skipped altogether 🙂

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
typo
  • Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

12 hours ago, sirrah said:

As most people here, I'm already struggling to find a balance between decent framerates and graphics.

Seeing those beautiful clouds, make me wonder if I'll still be able to smoothly run DCS 2.7 in VR

(Not that I don't want to upgrade my GPU, but the current market shortage won't allow me to)

I wouldn’t hope too much on that front. Other flight sims with Vulkan and/or multithreading don’t get a tripling of their frame rates. They’re still just as demanding as DCS. I don’t think VR will ever perform well in high fidelity flight simulations like this. And any performance overhead gained by the new engine will get eaten up with added features and graphics. The game isn’t going to remain static in development if the engine becomes capable of more, it will grow to exploit the new potential. The result will be a game that still demands the most from hardware and is intended to primarily run in 2D and it’s always going to be more demanding to run a game in 3D & higher FPS vs 2D & lower FPS. 

• Like 3

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

9 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Personally I do expect some juicy not-yet announced features in 2.7 however, given the fact that 2.6 was skipped altogether 🙂

Ah, I thought I had missed something in regards to 2.6.

The big changes are, as far as I understood, mostly in code. This is not what takes up space. Assets take up space, and while there'll undoubtedly be a bunch of changes to those, most of them shouldn't change. 

I think it may be a larger update than normal, but not terribly so. The one I'm worried about is when they finish Marianas and throw that into the default install. 🙂 

20 hours ago, WOPR said:

Gird your loins.  It's likely to be equivalent to a fresh install.

My loins stand girded. Unlimited internet at the ready. :pilotfly:

Mind you, my 1TB NVME games-only drive is starting to feel the strain. 270GB left and as I understand it you should leave 20% empty for best performance.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Maybe there's new soldier animations and models. In the 2021 & Beyond video, starting ~ 3:22, I noticed a soldier walking at the bottom right of the screen. That animation does not currently exist. Looks to be more realistic.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

27 minutes ago, pimp said:

Maybe there's new soldier animations and models. In the 2021 & Beyond video, starting ~ 3:22, I noticed a soldier walking at the bottom right of the screen. That animation does not currently exist. Looks to be more realistic.

That animations has implemented on actual DCS soldiers (Georgian Soldier) from some years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

That animations has implemented on actual DCS soldiers (Georgian Soldier) from some years ago.

Wow. I did not know that. I'm going to start using those soldiers instead. Thanks for that info.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:31 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Personally I do expect some juicy not-yet announced features in 2.7 however, given the fact that 2.6 was skipped altogether

Personally, I'd expect much more from a 3.0 than just Vulkan API and multi-threading, but it could be just me being used to slow paced versioning where the first number really means something.

For 3.0 I'd expect changes across the board and particularly to those side and smaller or lower level things, GUI improvements, replay track improvements, updating a lot of the underlying legacy code, various optimizations, filesystem structure changes, file format changes that break compatability are best done when transitioning to a major new version, various config systems, the way things work in a number of ways that introudce a visible change the way user has to do it is best done on such occasion, so you'd want to pile in as much as possible of the smaller but handy stuff so that this kind of stuff isn't spread across when things are suppose to settle down in this regard, becuase many of such smaller things usually aren't important enough to warrant change/improvement because of the inconvenience it would cause to the user but also because it's simply low priority.

A lot of low-priority but also low-effort required stuff that has ammased in a previous version is best to work out in the next big one, that's at least my logic. Another thing is convenience stuff that isn't necessairly improving any technical, but it is improving clarity and quality of life kinda from a cosmetic and maintenance point of view, some things also help developer ease of management and less confusion is a good enough reason as well, that all counts to development efficiency, faster and less error prone patches.

I forgot refactoring (renaming things), this is a great way to also do this to lable things and change things up to make more sense as necessary.

Look at it as a major janitor cleanup, you kinda make even the little things extra attention just so you get all out of the way and sorted out and don't have to worry about it too much for the next whole cycle even. Because it's the worst thing when some little thing spoils the moment when you're so excited for the big new beef steak, you don't want some spoiled sauce to ruin the show there, or some bad aftertaste from the wrong kind of spice.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• ED Team
On 2/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, Worrazen said:

Personally, I'd expect much more from a 3.0 than just Vulkan API and multi-threading, but it could be just me being used to slow paced versioning where the first number really means something.

Than just vulkan API and multi-threading? months and months of work 🙂 , this goal alone is impressive and would warrant a version number change. 

• Like 17

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2