Engine fire for no reason and smoke trail behaving weird

Icarus1976

Hello everyone,

I've just started learning the A10 (not the updated version) and everything was fine until I got engine fires on every flight after like 10 to 20 mins in the air.

Just now it got really weird because the smoketrail did not follow the movement of the aircraft, meaning it did not change the heading according to the AC's path. (I was on autopilot ALT only 10k ft and doing circles to get used to the TGP etc.)

The fire started for no reason, throttle was at about 60% maybe less not really sure, RPMs about 90%

This happened to me on 3 different flights now. First two flights it was the right engine and today it was the left.

Is this a bug, am I doing something wrong?

Btw, there was no enemy fire. It all happened in the cold and dark mission in the A10 quick missions.

Edited by Icarus1976

My YouTube-Channel <--:thumbup: :joystick: :pilotfly:

It could be caused by random failures, but is most likely tied to the "birds" setting in the game's options. The higher the setting, the more likely a bird strike and resulting engine fire. Unfortunately, birds have no visual representation (except for a few flying around Lake Mead), so instead of sighting a bird and deducing that it caused an engine fire, it's kinda backwards: The engine is on fire? There must have been a bird. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may be right about the birdstrikes. Mine was set to 1000% but at 10k ft? I don't know much about birds, do they really fly at this altitute? 🙂

But that doesn't explain the smoke trail turning 360° around my flightpath when in a turn.

Anyway, I'll try again with birds disabled and see what happens.

Thank you.

Edited by Icarus1976
  • Like 1

My YouTube-Channel <--:thumbup: :joystick: :pilotfly:

4 hours ago, Icarus1976 said:

I don't know much about birds, do they really fly at this altitute? 🙂

I believe some birds fly a lot higher than that. It's really surprising what mother nature accomplishes. Don't quote me on it, but I think I've heard about birds flying as high as 20,000 feet, if not more.

Of course the probability for a bird strike is *much* higher in the lower parts of the troposphere. 😉

4 hours ago, Icarus1976 said:

But that doesn't explain the smoke trail turning 360° around my flightpath when in a turn.

If you could get a video or save a track from that event, that would be great! That would make it much easier to help the devs figure out what goes wrong.

4 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Also, did you started up the plane, or did an autostart? Maybe you forgot to stop the APU or similar, or moved up or down some fuel valves... Just a guess...

I'm not aware of any way to cause an engine fire by doing or omitting any of the above.

Come to think of it, the APU generator is required to provide the APU with cooling, so it's not allowed to run the APU for more than 5 minutes without the APU generator on. But I don't think any kind of damage is modeled in that case, let alone an APU fire.