Torn... Reverb G2 or Valve Index

Sr.

hace 2 horas, imacken dijo:

No para mí no lo es. ¡Funciona perfectamente!

Said by the same WMR engineer:

"This is probably only WMR-specific. Right now the issue is that we have to create an intermediate set of GPU buffers that we copy the SteamVR content into before we send it off to our system compositor. The change we're working on will eliminate that set of intermediate buffers. Since each buffer is (generally) sized to match the resolution of the headset, the memory savings potential is huge."

Hope this solved many of the currents problems. And for me it works now most the time, but is needs so improve a lot

Edited by Werewolf_fs

17 hours ago, imacken said:

Not for me it isn't. Works perfectly!

You get no red frames in Steam VR?

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X + Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Pimax 8KX : DCS 1.0, VR, Steam 100% (3148x3160), FOV 120 degrees || Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

DCS: Textures & Terrain High, Water & Vis Medium, Heat Blur Low, Shadows Medium, MSAA 2x, DoF OFF, Lens Flare Only, Motion Blur Off, SSAA & SSLR Off, Clutter 170, Trees 66%, Smoke 0, Anisotropic 2x, Terrain Shadows Flat, Cockpit Global Illumination On

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB F14 grip || VKB Kosima grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback

On 2/21/2021 at 10:32 AM, imacken said:

It's obviously a matter of opinion, but mine is that I can't agree with most of what you have said.

I really don't know what you are meaning re SteamVR/WMR, and your experience of the hand tracking is the total opposite of mine.  I have played many games with the G2 including Alyx, Boneworks, etc. without any issues at all.  I have also played Alyx all through on the Index and the controller tracking is no better or worse.

As I said above, after spending a long time with the G1, Index and G2, in my opinion, the G2 is a clear winner in almost all respects.

Maybe you didn't have the G2 setup correctly in the short time you had - the Index is certainly easier to setup out of the box - but something doesn't seem quite right.

I mean it's totally fair that some folks seem to be fine with G2 controller tracking - "hot garbage" is probably a bit too harsh. My posture is such that I lose tracking frequently enough, and my room is big enough, with enough windows that it means when the controllers are not actively tracking I get the 'hands fly away randomly' issue very frequently. I know a lot of folks have more options to control their room, or are lucky enough to not have issues - but I also know this issue is very very common as well. Comparing them to the Quest 2 or Index tracking robustness and flexibility and they really do feel like a tier below. 

That said, for me the current G2 deal breaker for DCS is simply performance. I am curious to try some of the suggestions in this thread, as it seems like for some folks their hardware and software configs give them reasonable performance. I still stand by my 'can't recommend for DCS' because there is no clarity or consensus on how/if you will be one of the 'lucky ones' or stuck with something not really playable.

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X + Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Pimax 8KX : DCS 1.0, VR, Steam 100% (3148x3160), FOV 120 degrees || Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

DCS: Textures & Terrain High, Water & Vis Medium, Heat Blur Low, Shadows Medium, MSAA 2x, DoF OFF, Lens Flare Only, Motion Blur Off, SSAA & SSLR Off, Clutter 170, Trees 66%, Smoke 0, Anisotropic 2x, Terrain Shadows Flat, Cockpit Global Illumination On

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB F14 grip || VKB Kosima grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback

1 hour ago, nobuttons said:

I mean it's totally fair that some folks seem to be fine with G2 controller tracking - "hot garbage" is probably a bit too harsh. My posture is such that I lose tracking frequently enough, and my room is big enough, with enough windows that it means when the controllers are not actively tracking I get the 'hands fly away randomly' issue very frequently. I know a lot of folks have more options to control their room, or are lucky enough to not have issues - but I also know this issue is very very common as well. Comparing them to the Quest 2 or Index tracking robustness and flexibility and they really do feel like a tier below. 

That said, for me the current G2 deal breaker for DCS is simply performance. I am curious to try some of the suggestions in this thread, as it seems like for some folks their hardware and software configs give them reasonable performance. I still stand by my 'can't recommend for DCS' because there is no clarity or consensus on how/if you will be one of the 'lucky ones' or stuck with something not really playable.

For the tracking: Have you tried 1.5v batteries?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 2/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, Sr. said:

"Because they are out of stock, the estimated replacement date is March 12"

weird... I just ordered one yesterday(via HP store), delivery date 2/25.

I'm going to test drive it and the Index to see which I like best. Assuming the Index arrives early enough.

I'm not sure why you'd buy Index if you already have Cosmos Elite.  Cosmos Elite is higher resolution than Index and altho Index has better lens, I thought you already did lens mod on your Elite.

Only other advantage of Index over Cosmos Elite would be higher refresh rate which you will not be able to take advantage of in DCS as no one can push to 120 fps in DCS.

Maybe the comfort is factor but that's personal.  I hope you bought it from somewhere you can return.

1 hour ago, Taz1004 said:

I'm not sure why you'd buy Index if you already have Cosmos Elite.  Cosmos Elite is higher resolution than Index and altho Index has better lens, I thought you already did lens mod on your Elite.

Only other advantage of Index over Cosmos Elite would be higher refresh rate which you will not be able to take advantage of in DCS as no one can push to 120 fps in DCS.

Maybe the comfort is factor but that's personal.  I hope you bought it from somewhere you can return.

Yeah, I figured that one out and canceled the order (via Steam Store). I've passed the CE along to my grand daughter so she'll stop Beat Sabering on my flying time.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

G2 arrived this evening. After fishing the setup I launched DCS but skipped the update. The A-10CII cockpit looks amazing!!

It feels like the IPD slider might be off tough. It looks "best" at about 60, but I had always run my Vive at 64-65. I had read something about correcting "cross eyed" effect in the G2/. Which is what it starts to look like if I open up the IPD passed 62. 

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

On 2/28/2021 at 3:42 AM, Sr. said:

G2 arrived this evening. After fishing the setup I launched DCS but skipped the update. The A-10CII cockpit looks amazing!!

It feels like the IPD slider might be off tough. It looks "best" at about 60, but I had always run my Vive at 64-65. I had read something about correcting "cross eyed" effect in the G2/. Which is what it starts to look like if I open up the IPD passed 62. 

Think the vast majority of us needed to use the cross eye tool in DCS to make it comfortable.

Note that I find running the G2 with resolution @70% (in steamVR setting and PD@1 in DCS) is giving me super crisp cockpit already and FPS is gr8 with this setting.  I have to massively supersample the Quest 2 to get that but not the G2 so I end up with better FPS and better graphics.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

On 2/23/2021 at 9:00 PM, Taz1004 said:

I have the Index and i run DCS at 120hz, if i lower to 90hz DCS gets sloppy. DCS will not run at 120hz of course but increasing the refresh rate it runs smoother. So, i think we get advantage of Index refresh rate (depends of course the system running Index).

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Index here and I will never replace it for a g2. I run DCS on 200% super sampling, most settings to high and a PD of 1.5. I have no performance issues thanks to the 3090 and the visuals are awesome. I can read everything in every mfd easily and spot targets. But the main point is the massive fov. It’s so much more importent than resolution.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2021 at 2:38 AM, nobuttons said:

You get no red frames in Steam VR?

Very, very occasionally under very high demanding situations.

7 hours ago, DaWu said:

Index here and I will never replace it for a g2. I run DCS on 200% super sampling, most settings to high and a PD of 1.5. I have no performance issues thanks to the 3090 and the visuals are awesome. I can read everything in every mfd easily and spot targets. But the main point is the massive fov. It’s so much more importent than resolution.

I have owned an Index and a G2, and there is not a 'massive' FOV on the Index. It is certainly wider than the G2, but not that much really.  And, I would have to disagree, resolution is everything, which made me keep the G2 and sell the Index.

Like all these topics, all down to personal opinion.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I sold my G2 a couple of months ago and I just ordered an Index so was searching for information.  Anyway, VR in DCS is a compromise period.  It all comes down to what you'll compromise because there's nothing out there (that I can afford ) that offers buttery smooth performance, huge FOV, awesome resolution, and perfect head tracking.  It simply does not currently, on this date of 7/15/2021, exist.  I could not find the right balance of those with the G2, but others do and that's fine.  I'm hoping I can find that balance with the index.  If I can't find it with the index, I guess I'll have to wait a generation of GPUs and headsets and try again.

I know a lot of people are perfectly happy with the G2's and that's fine--I personally didn't like the FOV, two layers of WMR and SteamVR, and the performance.  I got tired of looking for the right balance.

My system:

2080ti

i9 10900k

ASUS Z490

2TB SSD

64 gb RAM

4 minutes ago, GoodHope said:

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I sold my G2 a couple of months ago and I just ordered an Index so was searching for information.  Anyway, VR in DCS is a compromise period.  It all comes down to what you'll compromise because there's nothing out there (that I can afford ) that offers buttery smooth performance, huge FOV, awesome resolution, and perfect head tracking.  It simply does not currently, on this date of 7/15/2021, exist.  I could not find the right balance of those with the G2, but others do and that's fine.  I'm hoping I can find that balance with the index.  If I can't find it with the index, I guess I'll have to wait a generation of GPUs and headsets and try again.

I know a lot of people are perfectly happy with the G2's and that's fine--I personally didn't like the FOV, two layers of WMR and SteamVR, and the performance.  I got tired of looking for the right balance.

My system:

2080ti

i9 10900k

ASUS Z490

2TB SSD

64 gb RAM

Your performance and FOV will be better with the Index over the Reverb G2, however the image clarity will not be as good. You can help it with some SS but not the same as native res. Tracking especially with the controllers will be better if you care about that like in some made for VR games. Index kit really shines with Half Life Alyx - just sayin... :smilewink:

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|