HOTAS buttons stop working mid flight

So I created a thread in the F-16 forum thinking it was specific to that airframe but further tested has proved that to be false.

I'm new to DCS and this issue has persisted for me since my first installation.

The crux of the issue is at a seemingly random points in game, DCS stops registering button inputs from the HOTAS. Hitting ESC twice to open and close the menu temporarily fixes the problem, until it occurs again and I have to repeat the work around. I can go an entire session without it happening, but then sometimes it's every few minutes. It's not until I go to slew the radar, release a missile etc. that I know it has happened because nothing happens.

During this time DCS is still responding to Axis inputs from the HOTAS so it's not as if the window has lost all focus as I suspected might be the case.

I'm running a Virpil warbrd stick with a TWCS throttle, 2 monitors, 1 running DCS and the other just for general use.

I'm running DCS via Steam.

I have several other USB input devices plugged in, but disabled in the DCS settings.

- I have tried disconnecting the second monitor with no success.

- I have tried putting the no hot plug fix into autoexec.cfg with no success.

- I have tried running in full screen mode with no success.

- I have tried running DCS directly from the .exe, even with admin permissions, with no success.

The last thing I can think of trying is to unplug all of my other USB input devices. Though they are disabled within the DCS settings anyway so they really shouldn't be making a difference whether they are plugged in or not.

I've attached the log file from my latest test where it occurred and there doesn't seem to be any obvious indication of an error causing this etc.

This is a game breaking issue for me as I am pretty much unable to do anything in game when all the buttons on the HOTAS suddenly don't work anymore. And having a keyboard on hand to enter and exit the menu potentially every 2 minutes while in combat is hardly a viable workaround for me.

dcs.log

Looks like a hardware issue to me, try to unplug the unused usb devices, as even if disabled they still draw usb power.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 minute ago, Rudel_chw said:

Looks like a hardware issue to me, try to unplug the unused usb devices, as even if disabled they still draw usb power.

Yeah it's the last thing on my list to try, which I will do today.

But I don't see why 

A)  Going into the menu and back into game would fix the issue (even if only for a few minutes) if it were a hardware issue.

B) Why the game would continue to accept Axis inputs from the throttle and stick if it were a hardware issue.

Software issues are generally more widespread, affecting many users ... issues for a single user are more likely to be hardware.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ok potentially found the issue. I think the small wireless keyboard I use enters a sleep mode if inactive for a while, at which point that interferes with DCS somehow blocking the inputs from the HOTAS buttons 😅

Will have to test more thoroughly later today but when I encountered the issue in flight I turned off the keyboard and I regained button inputs again so seems promising 

• Like 1

I've had this issue in the past - think I posted about it. Everything working fine, then a number of buttons register no action in DCS World - exit sim and check with Windows game controller CPL and VPC config tester and all is working 100%.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)
  • Thanks 1

Kit: i5 9600k;GA Z390D;32GB DDR4 3200;RTX2080Ti;Various SSD;VPC T50 HOTAS;Saitek Cessna Pro pedals;Valve Index;Oculus Quest 2

DCS World Guidesite

Just now, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

I've had this issue in the past - think I posted about it. Everything working fine, then a number of buttons register no action in DCS World - exit sim and check with Windows game controller CPL and VPC config tester and all is working 100%.

I've mentioned my wireless keyboard going to sleep to a few people now and I've had positive responses from people saying that devices going to sleep causes havoc in DCS. So I'm pretty sure that is what was causing my issue. I'll update the thread later tonight after more testing though.

I have this issue as well. The only wireless device i have is a logitech mouse.  All devices have their sleep functions turned off and allow device to wake pc enabled.  This seems to be some sort of issue embedded in DCS.  To add to what ive done,  ive disabled al power management features in the Device manager for every USB device that i have.  This is annoying because it requires you to cycle a switch to get the sim to recognize it but in turn renders it out of sync to what the physical switch position and the in game position are at.

Edited by Baldawg

Win 10 - Intel I7 7700k@4.6ghz water cooled - ASUS Z270 -EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid - 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill- Oculus Rift S

custon mip panel and side panels

Bodnar BU0836X, BBI32x2, BBI64x2

DSD 64

TM Warthog HOTAS

TM Cougar MFD'sx3

TM TPR pedals

Saitek Radiox2