A plea to campaign producers: stop including references to JSGME in your 'how to install' file.

I spent hours trying to follow the instructions to get JSGME to work as per instructions in help files distributed with some DCE missions. Then gave up on JSGME. Then found this megathread on how to use JSGME (it's the first thing that comes up when you google "JSGME DCS") and spent more hours trying to follow that, only to get to the end of that thread to find that JSGME no longer works with DCS as JSGME is 32bit and therefore doesn't support files larger than 2Gb.

Also, that generic pdf that gets distributed with DCE campaigns is bloody hard to follow with strange formatting and non-standard file paths mentioned throughout.

I just want to spend more time flying the beautiful❤️ user-created content and less time in windows explorer. I also want butter that tastes like butter.

In case you *need* a mod manager for that content, you could try OvGME. That one works, at least.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

4 hours ago, deltatango said:

the thread is from 2012 .. it never crossed your mind that it may contain obsolete information?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have never encountered a single file of that size in many years playing with mods. While JSGME may occasionally appear to hang with larger mod directories I have found that it will complete the transfer if you simply leave it alone. Don't obsessively click on it a hundred times when the bar stops moving, don't cancel and restart a thousand times, don't try to resize the window or drag it around etc. If you have found yourself unable to resist fiddling with it and the "program has stopped responding" message appears, clicking wait and leaving it alone will still allow it to resolve the transfer. For chuckles, I just used it to enable an 18GB mod package without issue (though I will not make any claim of speed or efficiency.)

As Raven suggests, however, OvGME is an update of the concept with several quality of life improvements.

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/OVGME

17 minutes ago, feefifofum said:

I have never encountered a single file of that size in many years playing with mods.

I did, with some terrain texture Mods .. can't remember which one it was tough 🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

the thread is from 2012 .. it never crossed your mind that it may contain obsolete information?

1. There’s lots of really old “how to’s” that still work fine. Usually they get updated by the OP or deleted. This one was stickied until just recently. 

2. Instructions to use JSGME are being distributed right now with campaigns just released. 

3. That thread is the first thing that comes up when you Google “DCS JSGME”.  I understand that some of the instructions may be out of date, but not the entire program.