What are Your top early cold war planes?

upyr1

What sort of time frame are you proposing as the limits?

The only Cold War warrior I have an affinity to is the first combat aircraft I flew - the FGR.2 (F-4).

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

5 minutes ago, garyscott said:

What sort of time frame are you proposing as the limits?

The only Cold War warrior I have an affinity to is the first combat aircraft I flew - the FGR.2 (F-4).

How about 1953? So late World War II and Korea. While it falls out of this section the F-4 Phantom II is clearly up on my list- as many versions as possible. As you may have guess from my current profile pic though a Phantom I would be cool

Edited by upyr1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

How about 1953? So late World War II and Korea. While it falls out of this section the F-4 Phantom II is clearly up on my list- as many versions as possible. As you may have guess from my current profile pic though a Phantom I would be cool

I would have to say F-80C, elegant looking aircraft (Korean conflict). 

(And I’m with you regards F-4, only flew it for just under 3 years before going to Tornado, but Phantom was a proper aircraft!)

Edited by garyscott

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

This is actually really difficult, I could go for it by era but I don't think I could give it as one definitive aircraft.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

8 hours ago, Grimleo said:

F-105 Thunderchief over a Vietnam map.

I think you mean F-84 over a Korean Map. I don't consider the Thud to be early cold war. The thud would be great though. I love the republic planes but I was trying to focus on Korean and late World war II designs.  Sadly I think we'll have to do them as community mods if we want more than just AI models

Edited by upyr1

If we go by the 1950s, early jets...I'd say the de Havilland Vampire, the F-84F Thunderstreak, the RF-84F Thunderflash, and the F9F Panther (although two of those barely missed Korea because the engines were crap). 

For later jets, obviously the entire Century series, that goes without saying.

Edited by TLTeo

1 minute ago, rkk01 said:

Foxbat 😉

Nope just early cold war I added the tag Korean war since people kept bringing up planes which entered service after the Korean war era. The mid cold war is a different topic

2 hours ago, SharkWizard said:

I'd say

F-102A

F-106A

Fast, nimble and interesting™ missiles 

R7265502016e55a32ed510a41109e3557.jpg

that's good one for this thread 

10 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

If your "cutoff age" is 1955 then a bunch of aircraft mentioned here belong in the other thread 😛 Not to say that I don't like the suggestions, just being nitpicky.

My main focus for this thread would be the Korean War and 1954 being a hard cut off

Edited by upyr1

13 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

you forgot the Fiat G-91 in italy they trained with the flight between the alps and at low altitude with the g-91 during the cold war.

First flew in ‘56, just past the cutoff.

• Like 1