The initial position is set manually by using the dials on the base of the map holder. Now, for it to work properly, the custom map creator would have to make sure it fits one of the accepted scales used in the helicopter, and the pilot would have to set it accordingly.

On 2/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, BaD CrC said:

And how would you expect the navigation system knows what the image file represents and where's your location is wrt to it?

You have to set it regardless, the thing works like an etch-a-sketch, you set the initial position (which can be miles off) and the doppler system updates it from there - presumably you do the same thing to update it.

The only constraints are as what Lucas said, the maps need to be to the right scale, which is 1:200000 and 1:1000000 if I remember rightly.

You tell the system which scale you're using, using a dial and you dial in the initial position of the map's crosshair so it's over your initial position and that's it. 

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Did someone say "1:200000 Soviet maps" mod? 😄 At least Caucasus would work.

Like said above already, the system is calibrated to use (a) certain map scale(s). For flying X kilometers, the map needle moves Y millimeters. You could draw a map by hand with just a few locations on it and put it in, as long as the scale is correct it will work. You just need to mark your start position accurately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bts_100.jpg.22eae5ddd2a463fc09375990ad043870.jpg

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 16 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit) TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A or SM