In game PD or SteamVR Render Resolution

I'm curious what combo of DCS in Game PD to SteamVR render resolution the VR pilots are using?

I have always run my setup (see sig) using in game PD 1.0 and SVR set at 150%, and was perfectly happy with it, until I started fiddling with what if's... Since I had to reapply the usual shader mods and other optimizations post update, I decided to try swapping in game PD for SVR resolution.  What I ended up with was tuning the in game PD to 0.5 and SteamVR per game resolution to 250%, occasionally as high as 280%, rebooting, doing a take off and landing in Caucuses noting cockpit readability, in game FPS counter and FPSVR frame times.  

What I haven't tried is SVR res to minimum and in game PD slider as high as I can get it... that's next.

In the end, for my gear, using SVR resolution is the way to go. I get a very steady, very playable frame rate and the cockpit clarity "seems" better for me.  

I am also using the mod'd (non Fresnel) lenses in my Vive Cosmos Elite.

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | 64GB DDR4 3600| NVidia 1080 Ti | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | Vive Cosmos Elite | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT stick

i never understand this ... do it in one place ... just one either in PD or in SS ... at .5/250 you are functionally operating about the same resolution as pd 1/ ss 63.

i use just SS and i leave PD alone at 1...  the only thing that actually matters is the total number of pixels... and you get more granular control in SS than you do in PD i created a spreadsheet to help with this because i know its not everyone's strongest suit...

PDSSCalc.zip

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff:   My Settings for 3090 and G2  My Settings for 1080ti  Shaders MOD for VR  My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable, Patch Status

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, Sr. said:

I'm curious what combo of DCS in Game PD to SteamVR render resolution the VR pilots are using?

I have always run my setup (see sig) using in game PD 1.0 and SVR set at 150%, and was perfectly happy with it, until I started fiddling with what if's... Since I had to reapply the usual shader mods and other optimizations post update, I decided to try swapping in game PD for SVR resolution.  What I ended up with was tuning the in game PD to 0.5 and SteamVR per game resolution to 250%, occasionally as high as 280%, rebooting, doing a take off and landing in Caucuses noting cockpit readability, in game FPS counter and FPSVR frame times.  

What I haven't tried is SVR res to minimum and in game PD slider as high as I can get it... that's next.

In the end, for my gear, using SVR resolution is the way to go. I get a very steady, very playable frame rate and the cockpit clarity "seems" better for me.  

I am also using the mod'd (non Fresnel) lenses in my Vive Cosmos Elite.

What was the final resolution output with PD 1.0 and SVR at 150%?  And what was final resolution output with PD 0.5 and SVR 250%?  The latter is much lower resolution.

Going from 1.0 PD to 0.5 PD is 50% reduction in number of pixels (Width x Height).  Whereas 50% in SVR is in linear resolution (Width or Height).

Always calculate using actual resolution.  Not % value.

It doesn't matter what combination you use.  As long as the final resolution output is same, the performance and quality is same.

Edited by Taz1004

I sort of figured it was a case of arriving at the same place using a different route... having tried the "normal" route, I believe I prefer the little performance boost via SteamVR setting. My GPU frame times stay in the 18-19 range and I still get the cockpit imaging I'm happy with. They jump in to the high 20's otherwise.

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | 64GB DDR4 3600| NVidia 1080 Ti | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | Vive Cosmos Elite | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT stick

On 2/18/2021 at 9:41 PM, Taz1004 said:

What was the final resolution output with PD 1.0 and SVR at 150%?  And what was final resolution output with PD 0.5 and SVR 250%?  The latter is much lower resolution.

Going from 1.0 PD to 0.5 PD is 50% reduction in number of pixels (Width x Height).  Whereas 50% in SVR is in linear resolution (Width or Height).

Always calculate using actual resolution.  Not % value.

It doesn't matter what combination you use.  As long as the final resolution output is same, the performance and quality is same.

Are you sure? 😄

I think you are correct with that the latter is much lower resolution but i think you mixed up those samplings or i didn’t understood correctly your explanation.

PD in dcs just multiplys resolution in X and Y axels like if you have 2160x2160 resolution and put 1.1pd in dcs, resulting resolution should be 2376x2376. So going from 1.0 to 0.5pd is not 50% reduction in pixels, it’s a lot more. Steamvr SS% is changing the amount of pixels and then going for example from 100% to 50% you will get 50% reduction in pixels. Please correct me if i’m wrong, but i’m quite certain it’s that way. G2 per eye is about 2160x2160 in steamvr SS 48% and in 100% about 3300x3300. If it’s linear resolution it should be ~4300x4300 in 100%.

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14B, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, UH-1H, MiG-21bis, M2000C, Ka-50, FC3, SC

System: i5-9600k@5GHz, Asus Dual 2080S O8G, 32gb DDR4 3000MHz, HP Reverb G1 and G2, Warthog hotas, TM TFRP, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

3 hours ago, divinee said:

Are you sure? 😄

I think you are correct with that the latter is much lower resolution but i think you mixed up those samplings or i didn’t understood correctly your explanation.

PD in dcs just multiplys resolution in X and Y axels like if you have 2160x2160 resolution and put 1.1pd in dcs, resulting resolution should be 2376x2376. So going from 1.0 to 0.5pd is not 50% reduction in pixels, it’s a lot more. Steamvr SS% is changing the amount of pixels and then going for example from 100% to 50% you will get 50% reduction in pixels. Please correct me if i’m wrong, but i’m quite certain it’s that way. G2 per eye is about 2160x2160 in steamvr SS 48% and in 100% about 3300x3300. If it’s linear resolution it should be ~4300x4300 in 100%.

Yea, you're right.  I got those two reversed.  I was thinking one thing and wrote another.

• Like 1

Then there's me... I have no idea what either of you are talking about. 🤣

Guys, just for clarity again. PD value works per axis, and SteamVR %age works on total pixels. 
So, a PD of 1.5, is 1.5*1.5*pixels, i.e. 2.25 or 225% in SteamVR terms. 
And, a PD of 0.5 is 0.5*0.5*pixels, i.e. 0.25 or 25% in SteamVR terms. 

• Like 3

Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F Wi-Fi · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2