Tips about f14 carrier landing from pro

Ddg1500

Been doing carrier landing 300h+,here is my highly detailed tips for f14 carrier landing

1 with ONLY stick and throttle, the f14 hve extremely slow and vague on rink rate changes, it either sink too slow or inadequately , making landing more unpredictable and dangerous ,so please be sure to engage DLC during carrier landing.

2* The explain in the manual is a little inappropriate. the DLC is actually designed to help induce changes of lift faster, like when you loss the power but the aircraft don’t goes down, then you should consider instantly extent or retract dlc to promote the changes of lift faster, it is NOT some hands free height elevator that doesn’t require any throttle changes at all.

3 By this reason, the best way to control this aircraft is by using throttle, stick and dlc in conjunction, rather than simply stick and throttle. Coordinate those 3 factors together could considerably make landing easier and more professional, but beforehand you need to make sure you know the cause by the changes of throttle & stick with respect to sink rate and speed( important)

4* On final approach, you should be at 500 feet at around 120-130knots while on speed , with 80-82% rpm and 8 aoa, dlc extended also. don’t worry about the excessive sink rate by low rpm, retract or extent dlc decently could resolve this issue well, when retracted, it should feels like there is an invisible string over the aircraft that’s pulling the aircraft up, like a doll, and that’s exactly how DLC is used for.

I could say no one have say that details about tomcat even with true pilots.

Hmmm

I went to every effort to NOT work DLC. Yes, I extend it, but I try not to touch the lever to operate it. I even put some Tape over my stick to keep my fingers away, and I must say, that helped. My landings are now just controlled via Stick, RUDDER and Throttle.

I believe the RL Pilots told so, that DLC was mostly just used slightly before touchdown for 1-2 bangs and not to rectify a (sloppy) approach. Most important seems to be to stick to the number. I usually know slightly after the break if I still will end in a somewhat OKish trap. If the break is already messed up, most probably the rest of the trap will be also...DLC mostly making matters worse.

• 2 months later...

Where you  an actual tomcat pilot ? and if so what CAG?  and what squadron?

On 2/18/2021 at 7:05 AM, grumman f14 said:

Been doing carrier landing 300h+,here is my highly detailed tips for f14 carrier landing

1 with ONLY stick and throttle, the f14 hve extremely slow and vague on rink rate changes, it either sink too slow or inadequately , making landing more unpredictable and dangerous ,so please be sure to engage DLC during carrier landing.

2* The explain in the manual is a little inappropriate. the DLC is actually designed to help induce changes of lift faster, like when you loss the power but the aircraft don’t goes down, then you should consider instantly extent or retract dlc to promote the changes of lift faster, it is NOT some hands free height elevator that doesn’t require any throttle changes at all.

3 By this reason, the best way to control this aircraft is by using throttle, stick and dlc in conjunction, rather than simply stick and throttle. Coordinate those 3 factors together could considerably make landing easier and more professional, but beforehand you need to make sure you know the cause by the changes of throttle & stick with respect to sink rate and speed( important)

4* On final approach, you should be at 500 feet at around 120-130knots while on speed , with 80-82% rpm and 8 aoa, dlc extended also. don’t worry about the excessive sink rate by low rpm, retract or extent dlc decently could resolve this issue well, when retracted, it should feels like there is an invisible string over the aircraft that’s pulling the aircraft up, like a doll, and that’s exactly how DLC is used for.

I could say no one have say that details about tomcat even with true pilots.

Where you an actual tomcat pilot  ? if so what CAG and what squadron? 

• Like 1