Disconnects with Oculus 2

Danimal1306

I've been playing in VR for about a month.  Everything was going well.  I got some great settings which were so incredibly immersive, words can't describe.  I'm sure fellow VR users can understand the difference.  Since Monday, When I load into the world, I am getting disconnects.  I've been troubleshooting with Oculus support, and I'm puzzled why it worked great on Sunday, but Monday I can't even do a carrier landing mission without multiple disconnects.

Curiously, In the past when I had disconnects, I could see DCS on my monitor in VR mode, but could not reconnect.  Yesterday, I COULD reconnect to the sim, but it would disconnect again after a short amount of time.  Today, I did the factory reset and all that crap they want you to do, and now I'm back to not being able to reconnect to the sim.

I tried my wife's Oculus, and the same issues.  Anybody else have a similar experience?  Google has not helped.  Any ideas?

You are not the only one. The Oculus forums and Reddit have numerous post about similar/same experiences.

Ever since my Q2 updated from v23 to v25 I have encountered regular 'link' disconnects (as well as other issues not listed here). It's been a frustrating experience to say the least. Unlike you, I haven't been able to reconnect to DCS if it disconnects while I've started the program while in VR>

I recommend using the 'Oculus Log Gather' to report issues encountered with the device. I'm going to assume that this will reach the relevant QA & Development teams for investigation and resolution far faster than our posts on here. 

You'll find the relevant program here (your installation path may vary if not the default install)
Located: "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe"

Once run, set the Collection date period, and check the full logs and auto submit check-boxes, and finally complete the field explaining your issue.

I'm hoping that the more reports that are received in this manner is noticed and any priorities are changed to resolve any identified issues.

Edited by Dodge
  • Like 1

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

Thanks for the reply!

I've been in contact with Oculus support and have given them logs.  I bought a new Oculus USB-C cable, and still get disconnects.  Since I already tried on a different Oculus headset, I'm guessing it has to lie in the software on one side or the other.  Currently I'm overclocking through the BIOS, as well as MSI software just to be able to do basic training missions without disconnecting.

• Like 1

I've been getting them on mission start as soon as the world is loaded.  Running the overclocks is the only thing that's helped so far, but that's how I get good frames with a crisp cockpit anyway.  I did lower the pixel density to 1.5 from 2.5 and turned civ traffic from Medium to off.  The troubling part is I was getting good performance from the initial settings as of Sunday all day.

For what it's worth, lowering those two settings helped lower my disconnects, though they still happen.

Edit:  Also, since resetting the BIOS auto overclock and using MSI software for extreme performance, I have been able to reconnect to the game after it drops back to the Oculus menu.  Quickly click on the Oculus link in the quick actions.  Not great in the middle of action, but livable during a cold start/flying to waypoint.

Edited by Danimal1306
  • Like 1

Ok so i have an ongoing log with Oculus Support and will provide feedback as i hear back.  I also would like to clarify has anything changed with the way ED handle the flow from Mission editor, cockpit, to F10 map in either the Hotfix/end of Jan Feb patch.  

This started for me two weeks ago.  It happens both in SP and MP.  I can replicate it now 100% of the time on say mission editor where build a mission, click play and when you get to the choose slot screen and select one, you briefly see the aircraft loading in for a milisecond before it crashes back to the Oculus home within the headset.  It looks as if on the monitor the game is still running.  I do not understand however why despite showing the fly screen (as in stationary image and not yet pushed the fly button an i7 9700k core is maxed at 100%?).

95% if not more in MP if i say choose tac command or jtac to look at the F10 map, or even inflight checking the F10 map will dump the link.  To note there is a long standing F10 map issue with this that causes FPS loss anyway.   This for me has made DCS and Quest 2 completely unflyable, especially when associated with the FPS drop in game that sometimes can be corrected by al tabbing to another app and back in.

Checking in the Oculus logs i get his every time there is a disconnect.

Service_2021-02-19_17.32.16.txt] 19/02 20:07:28.851 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] WinUsb_ReadPipe(handle:0x000001D27A1A7610, ep:129, len:1024) failed: (433) A device which does not exist was specified.

{!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] WinUsb_WritePipe(handle:0x0000000000000000, ep:255, len:4096) failed: (995) The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] RemoteHeadphones: pipeCallback: sendAudio() failed to send audio buffer: -1002

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Reference to topic is NULL in enum XrspResult __cdecl XrspTopicClose(struct XrspTopic *): topic

{!ERROR!} [RemoteHeadset] Error getting user settings from session. Result=-1002.

{!ERROR!} [RemoteHeadset] Error getting audioControlfrom session. Result=-1002.

{!ERROR!} [RemoteHeadset] Error getting hands from session. Result=-1002.

{!ERROR!} [RemoteHeadset] Error getting hand skeleton data chunk from session. Result=-1002.

{!ERROR!} [RemoteHeadset] Error getting tracking from session. Result=-1002.

{!ERROR!} [RemoteHeadset] Error getting body from session. Result=-1002.

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Reference to topic is NULL in enum XrspResult __cdecl XrspTopicClose(struct XrspTopic *): topic

9 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] inbound data processing loop exited: I/O error (13)

[Service_2021-02-19_17.32.16.txt] 19/02 20:07:29.199 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Failed to parse PCI vid and pid from string ""

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Failed to parse PCI vid and pid from string ""

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Failed to construct channel for winusb,2833,ff,89

{!ERROR!} [DisplayManager] [DisplayManager] Failed to set power profile.

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Failed to construct channel for winusb,2833,ff,89

{!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] [Aggregated 24 times] OVR Error:

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] [Aggregated 20 times] Reference to topic is NULL in enum XrspResult __cdecl XrspTopicClose(struct XrspTopic *): topic

{!ERROR!} [MobileConfigWrapper] getBool() received invalid param: oculus_store:is_rift_redesign_enabled

{!ERROR!} [MobileConfigWrapper] getBool() received invalid param: oculus_store:is_rift_redesign_enabled

{!ERROR!} [LifeCycle] Leave VR with unregistered pid: 2864 (Unknown)

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] WinUsb_ReadPipe(handle:0x0000000000000000, ep:255, len:1024) failed: (995) The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

{!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] inbound data processing loop exited: transport closed (12)

[Service_2021-02-19_17.32.16.txt] 19/02 20:08:33.601 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:

[Service_2021-02-19_17.32.16.txt] 19/02 20:08:35.443 {!ERROR!} [IpcRouter] Command /bug_reporter/get_bug_info caused an error: OVR54112166

Would appreciate a Dev's thoughts on the issue and feedback!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I have similar entries, and am ensuring that after each 'link' disconnect that I am reporting the issue via the Oculus Log Gatherer which seems to automatically send the/a report to the Oculus 'reporting' system.

Edited by Dodge

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Since Oculus support has asked to run the log compiling program and send it, we shouldn't assume it's automatic.   If it's automatic, why would they request for me to gather the logs and send them in an email?

Do the Oculus logs help the DCS team? Should we give them here to help find the problem?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I fully support whatever the Oculus Support team are requesting from you. I've just added what I've been doing during each problematic encounter I've had to endure, and with that, I feel I don't need to contact Oculus Support (I'm hoping reports sent from that program is doing something similar to you contacting the support team).

To your second point. And I'm assuming here, but I don't think the Oculus logs are of use to the  DCS team (at least not directly). I suspect, if they can/do, would just pass this onto Oculus or point us to contact Oculus Support. However, there no harm is providing that to DCS (as you have done here), as I'm none the wiser and who knows, there might be something there that if seen by a developer, might be useful for either something within DCS to adjust, or allow DCS to raise suggestions with Oculus themselves (if there is any form of mutual contact).

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

• 2 weeks later...

V26 update seems to makes things better, but I still get discounts from time to time but it is more bearable. And the VD has got many more updates since then. I am not sure which parts(ies) are to blame.

Edited by VRPiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I'm experiencing similar observations. It getting a step back in the right direction, but it's not quite there yet.

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

I was struggling with this too. What fixed it mostly for me was to drop the settings down to the preset VR settings option, and lower my screen resolution. The reduction in VRAM requested helped out a lot. If the lower resolution settings is too much increase your pixel density to just before it becomes unstable again. 

Good luck! 

Edited by [̲̅D][̲̅A][̲̅T][̲̅A]

Guys update to v 27, things are certianly getting better.

The largest cause of link being lost is the F10 page in VR> i do wonder if this is related to the age old memory leak that has never been resolved.

Have you Oculus controller handy at all times and as soon as you get the disconnect of the link, click in quick actions in the headset to renable the link and 95% of the time you will get back in the game.

Also to note for the Quest 2 - run an autoexec file in your save game config folder with these line's;

no_device_hotplug = true
options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true
disable_write_track = true

Bascially it stops USB hotplug isses, Diables track writing (optional but it can help) and the main one is the middle line.  This will give a good boost however note it is beta.  It will also stop some annoying issues such as clouds in one eye and not the other however it will introduce other issues such as at nighttime with cockpit flood lighting only showing in the right eye.  

ED really need to put some time into Quest 2 given that its now the largest VR headset by type.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I just started getting disconnect issues today with a new Quest 2 and new link cable. It worked perfectly fine last night, now as I'm testing missions it will disconnect the link as soon as a mission is loaded. When I go into Oculus settings and try to enable link, the "PC disconnected" window will appear for about 0.5 of a second then disappear. If I unplug and plug it in again, I can restart Link with head tracking, but the display in the headset stays off. 

The disconnect issue started occurring for me when my Q2 updated from v23 to v25. The disconnects were very regular and horrible until the update to v26 (about 2 weeks after the upgrade to v25. While the disconnects continue, it's not as often as with v25.

What I have been doing is sending my logs via the Oculus Log Gatherer program each time I encounter disconnects or any other oddity during a DCS VR session. I would recommend that you do the same thing. I'd like to think the more reports received the faster they may detect issues (if not already known), and actively work on resolving issues.

Oculus Log Gatherer

Description

The OculusLogGatherer.exe tool is included with the Oculus app installation, and can be used when you have issues with the Oculus runtime.

From <https://developer.oculus.com/distribute/log-troubleshooting/?locale=en_GB>

Location (Your path may vary)

• "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe"

Select the 'Collect Last' option to suit the requirement, check full logs and auto-submit

image.png

Addition Reading Links

Edited by Dodge

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

It started happening to me after updating to beta and version 27. I was messing with some VR shaders settings that required going into the cockpit and exiting the game multiple times. Every third time or so link would disconnect as soon as the mission finished loading. 

• 9 months later...

I'm having the same issue.  Once my Q2 battery dips down to between 86 and 75%, it disconnects me.  When I reconnect the eyepieces just flash grey light.   I've tried lowering the settings to VR, I followed a youtube video on how to solve common issues and it still does the same thing.  I have a friend who's using a reverb g1 and he hasn't had any issues so I can only assume it's a Q2 specific problem.  As for my rig, I'm using an ROG ASUS Dark hero VIII X570, 5950X, Cooled by a 360 AIO (CoolerMaster), 128GB DDR4, RX6800XT and powered by an 850W PSU.  I really don't want to spend money on a new headset if I can find a way to get this working.  Hopefully the video I watched will help someone else out.