Why the F do I suddenly have all modules with activation notices spamming me?

mazex

So - Have not been flying DCS for a while due to lots of work...

Started it some week ago to try my new RTX 3070 and got some indication of it downloading every module there is without me accepting that. Part of some "try modules for free"? I did NOT say yes.

So now I get spammed with activation problems for modules I don't own - and for the Flaming Cliffs 3 modules I DO own... I am so close to uninstalling this and walking away from this. I have spent a lot of cash over the years on this product...

So how do I fix this without a restart for deleting each module I never said I wanted?

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

OK - started to try removing the Christen Eagle module that I don't own - and DON'T want to try even for free. Then VR get's out of focus and the game crashes after 3 minutes with the updater over the VR window. So I can't get rid of the crap that I did not want.

Someone from ED PM me as I am gone as a customer if this is not fixed very easily or I am compensated for the mess you have caused with my installation.

image.png

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

1 hour ago, mazex said:

... got some indication of it downloading every module there is without me accepting that...

Sorry, but  that is simply not true .. I agree that there is no text or explanation as to why do I suddenly have so many aircrafts available to me:

uhqclEQ.jpg

but ... see that "Cancel" button? .. if I click on that, then nothing gets installed.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

you hit the clear button at the top then ok.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

On 2/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, mazex said:

So - Have not been flying DCS for a while due to lots of work...

Started it some week ago to try my new RTX 3070 and got some indication of it downloading every module there is without me accepting that. Part of some "try modules for free"? I did NOT say yes.

Well unless the module manager was conspiring against you, you must've hit Ok... Even if you did it inadvertently.

Probably to quickly make it go away. You would have noticed it installing all the modules, which you can also cancel...

At the end of the free trial you just go into the module manager and uninstall them, you don't have to do this one by one anymore, you can select multiple in one go and hit delete, DCS will restart to sort it out and you're back in business.

So now I get spammed with activation problems for modules I don't own - and for the Flaming Cliffs 3 modules I DO own...

You get those because you installed the individual FC3 aircraft on top of FC3, which you didn't need to do. I know it's annoying that it treats them as being separate entities, despite FC3 containing them all, but the super simple solution is to not install them when you already own FC3 - you're installing the same thing twice.

So how do I fix this without a restart for deleting each module I never said I wanted?

You can't, you need to skip past the license issues go into the module manager, select all the modules you don't want (but installed anyway...), by clicking on the blue checkbox, when you're done selecting and hit delete, DCS will restart and remove the selected modules. I'd do this in 2D as DCS will restart anyway to implement the changes - no point doing it in VR.

In future, when the free trial is nearly over, remove the modules using the module manager just before it actually ends (say the night before), that way you won't have the hassle of all the activation/license messages. If you leave the free trial period to expire and then do it, you'll have the problem you're facing now.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:20 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Sorry, but  that is simply not true .. I agree that there is no text or explanation as to why do I suddenly have so many aircrafts available to me:

uhqclEQ.jpg

but ... see that "Cancel" button? .. if I click on that, then nothing gets installed.

Absolutely!

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Thanks @Northstar98 - as I own quite a bunch of modules and had not been running DCS for a while I guess that I assumed it wanted to update a bunch of them and clicked OK... 

So it wasn't ED who messed up your install, it was your own trigger happy finger not willing to read before clicking that OK button?

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

19 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

So it wasn't ED who messed up your install, it was your own trigger happy finger not willing to read before clicking that OK button?

:laugh::megalol:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

On 2/19/2021 at 8:48 PM, Lange_666 said:

Well - the dialog that listed "the following modules will be installed / updated..." came on first boot after I had switched motherboard and CPU I thought that the copy protection system did a "fresh install" as the SSD with DCS was essentially was in a new computer. Only GPU and soundcard from old build. 

So as I own 15-20 modules I did not read through the list - and besides, it would not be that strange that it downloaded modules that I do not own to be agle to show them in full res etc? As it has never before downloaded modules that I have not bought and there is an update every other time you start the game I did not read through the text. Am I stupid not doing that and worthy to be laughed at?

So - if I get them to try out with just one OK it would be nice to get a dialog with "The free trial is over - do you want to uninstall the following modules that you don't own"? Why would I want to have modules that I do not own installed and warnings for 15 modules that are not activated in the next step etc?

17 minutes ago, mazex said:

...  Am I stupid not doing that and worthy to be laughed at?

No, a lot of people clicks OK without reading ... maybe the crass title that you chose for the thread had a little to do with the attitude you bring out from other users.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

@mazexYour situation is rare but totally understandable. There is of course a room for improvement in managing the free trials and own modules since the list is getting bigger and bigger. Just recently we got the option to check many modules and remove them all at once from the module manager. I probably would've clicked OK too being in the same situation. But, like others have said, what you did wrong is mainly your attitude and blaming in first 2 posts while, unknowingly, you brought that on yourself. All good now, happy flying, case solved. :thumbup:

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

19 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

No, a lot of people clicks OK without reading ... maybe the crass title that you chose for the thread had a little to do with the attitude you bring out from other users.

OK - I agree that my initial post was way too offensive. I wrote it in affect just after two crashes trying to remove the excess modules and was rather irritated. 

As an old developer gone IT-manager I realize that poorly implemented features and functionality in software really annoys me more than it should 😉 My days are spent discussing how to improve different software solutions for millions of customers...

So being anonymous here I can whine in a childish way, instead of the constructive feedback I would send to one of my own teams. They naturally hate wining end users ignoring instructions and messing things up 🙂

The problem is that all startup dialogs are ignored for software that you trust. Not so much for others. My proposal is that a dialog is implemented the way I proposed earlier. After the free trial is over - show a dialog with:

"The free trial is over - do you want to remove the modules you do not own?" 

Stressed people that trust ED will just click OK - which is fine 🙂 Ending up like me with 15 unlicensed modules that crash the game trying to unistall them is no good for business... As i love DCS I will come back and fix it. Right now I play other sims instead. 

Edited by mazex