Mission 06

Chacal_IX

This maybe the 10th time I've done this mission with a 50% result each time.

I take off, I follow the flight plan, I bomb the radar, my wingman explodes in full flight as soon as the radar is hit, I launch my rockets on the remaining targets, I take the way back, I receive the message "beeper..." then the message that my wingman is fine and that he is heading north, I land and stop at the parking.

Score 50% with 80 to 90% of targets destroyed.

What did I forget to do, what's wrong with this mission? 

Indeed the mission is successful if the destruction rate is higher than 80%.
I replayed it last night with 100% destruction and this time the mission is successful.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Personally I find that 80% is a bit exaggerated. With an F-18 I would like to, but not with an F-5. Especially considering that the wingman never help on this one. He simply doesn't execute any of my orders but this is probably a ED problem.

I'm glad it worked, think about the early days of the YGBSM squadrons, when they went against SAM's with nothing but bombs and rockets. The way the units are grouped it shouldn't be that hard if you plant your bombs right. 

And, nothing to apologize for, if I can help it's all good. This is my first campaign, I'm learning from you guys, the one flying a whole lot. So, it's all good. 

I'm not sure if this is your problem or ED's but the wingman is useless on this mission. I have tried every attack command and he won't engage any target.  Then he flies off almost back to base and is shot down by a non existent SAM, (this might be intentional, not sure) or sometime flies off to the north and says he is OK but is still no help attacking the target.

Also I think there is a copied over voice over that I get sometimes about, the skies are clear and it's raining migs, but I don't get any migs.  I've checked the trackview and don't see anything.  I know that I heard this line on an earlier mission so I'm guessing it just got copied.

And something else I've noticed through all the missions I have played so far, the triggers seem a little tight around waypoints for a plane without any GPS/INS nav.  I know personally I occasionally miss them, it is usually just a voice over so not a huge deal but I thought I would throw that out there.

Thank You for the campaign I have been hoping for something like this for the F-5

The wingman should be dumb on this one. Dumber than the usual. I tried to put the waypoints closer to visual reference points that are easy to recognize, like lakes and cities, or clear spots in the forest. I don't want to spoil anything, but the wingman doesn't make it. You can always drop a carrot on the map if you loose your way and get your bearings, I know it's not fair but in RL you would get a bearing or a location from a radar station or from your airborne radar. 

• 2 months later...

OK, so going by your post above, though I think most folks would be fairly satisfied that with every SAM and radar destroyed as the image attached, the mission would be a success, but you want to count all the trucks as part of the percentage?

This would seem to emphasis dropping on the trucks instead of the launchers, as they are closer together, and there are more of them, then picking off the launchers and radar with rockets and guns. It doesn't seem intuitive. To knock out a SAM site, the last thing I'm going to aim at are the trucks. (I only read the above post after flying the mission five times and making sure every rocket and radar was very, very dead!)

SAMSGone.jpg

Edited by 3Star

I thought you guys like blowing stuff up with 20 mike-mike. 🙂 It's a percentage destroyed of a group. By how ME works. I could get granular and score by each unit, it would take about 5 years to finish a campaign.  That whole SAM site is a group, easier to use it in templates and such. And also, if you think about it, it's my interpretation of a military conflict. It's not accurate, it may not be right all the time, It's just a story I'm telling. As long as you have fun with it, and makes you a better pilot, this thing will not be perfect, and for sure it won't be satisfying everyone's taste. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the campaign and I consider it money well spent,  and if that's the way  the mission editor works, that's the way it works. I'm just saying that I think it would be reasonable to lay out the expectations fairly clearly to avoid player frustration.

Consider the instructions:

image.png

In the mission brief for that mission, the "Task:" line is empty and would be a great place to make clear what the goal is. "Disable SA-3 site" vs "Destroy SA-3 site and supporting vehicles" is a bit of a difference to my mind. Indeed, the fact that the briefing states that anti-radiation missiles would do the trick if you had them indicates to me that the primary target is the radar, and if you hit that with rockets and bombs, the job is done. I would also add, as a US Army officer (The Army FM includes Air Force terminology), there is a very distinct difference between the intent of "neutralise" (Disable isn't an official tactical task in the manual) and "destroy"

Edited by 3Star

Thanks for the feedback. You are right about the task message there. Easy to fix/add in another iteration of this mission. With the amount of changes lately, I'm sure this will happen soon enough. 🙂 Awesome picture with the bomb damage. 

• 1 year later...