Question: DCS, radar, trees and houses

Volator

Question for the radar experts on this forum:

Can a helicopter hide from ground borne search radar detection by hiding behind trees?

In DCS only terrain will block search radar detection. Hovering behind trees and even behind buildings it seems you are detected by search radars, at least that's why RWR in the Gazelle makes me believe.

Edited by Pilot Ike

• Volator changed the title to Question: DCS, radar, trees and houses

The last time that I know in DCS, you dont need trees to avoid radar detection from fighters as long as you fly below 70 knots, tbh I have no idea if ED made changes in the updates. In my experience in MP so far it was not easy task to track for example a Gazelle even though I could see it on data link thats why I also am not sure about how AWACS detection on helos.
RWR is passive and cant tell you if you're being detected or not.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

7 hours ago, Oceandar said:

The last time that I know in DCS, you dont need trees to avoid radar detection from fighters

I'm mainly interested in ground bases search radars, because as a chopper pilot in multi-player I want to avoid the AI GCI or a human GCI to vector fighters at me.

I'm assuming that as soon as I see the search radar symbol on my Gazelle RWR I'm visible on the F10 map for a human GCI or for the AI GCI, correct? And the thing is that once I pop up behind a ridge but still behind tree cover, the S is there on the RWR if an EWR is placed accordingly.

My question is whether in RL radar can see through trees? I think it can't, but I'm no expert on radar.