Quick SC review

bkthunder

Thanks to the free week (which is GREAT!) I had a chance to try the SC module, as I have been eyeing it for a while now. 

I just want to share some thoughts and this isn't, by all means, intended as bashing. 

What I enjoyed: 

- the correct size carrier. Although we shouldn't have to pay extra to have a correct size carrier at all, and the free Stennis should be fixed!!

- the catapult crew that helps lining up

- The carrier 3d model and details

- The catapult views, even though I wish they were stabilized on the deck, so you don't see the pitching. 

What disappointed me: 

- the ATC is didn't seem very consistent. The text-to-speech voice of your pilot is breaking the immersion and AI aircraft didn't seem to respond in the proper way (e.g. the wingman forms up and then drops back in a sort of trail formation before the overhead break...).

-  In general, I expected the deck crew to provide a huge immersion boost, but in reality it very quickly became a pretty simple, scripted animation, that overall felt quite sterile. Animations need polishing and are a bit funny at times, like when all of the men spring into action at exactly the same time, but the truth is, there just isn't any life or anything happening except at the catapult. 

Overall, at this stage I just didn't see a reason to spend 30-40$ for a glorified 3d model and some animated crew. 

Yes, it's all nice to have, but when you compare it with an aircraft / helo module, the SC is basically the wallpaper while the aircraft is the party.

The ATC should really be part of the core sim and it doesn't show any outstanding features that warrant paying extra for it (i.e. it isn't even nearly on par with the ATC from that other old sim).

The unclear roadmap also doesn't help to understand what will be implemented in the future, but hopefully once all the bells and whistles are there, this will truly provide a new sense of immersion.

EDIT: let me add, it is no easy task to really convey in a game all the noise, adrenaline and controlled chaos that a real carrier deck is, and probably the SC in DCS is the best attempt so far on PC, but I feel it's not there yet.

Edited by bkthunder
  • Like 4

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Please keep in mind that a lot of new features are coming. In the near future we are going to have access to PriFly and seat in the Airboss chair (with controls for elevators, lights...) , an interactive ready room and a more detailed hangar. You can see some glimpses in the latest trailers and they have stated that there has been a lot of work already done. So in 2021 the module will expand beyond a "glorified 3d model and some animated crew".

At some point we will get plane directors for taxi from and to parking spots. barricade for emergencies and more stuff, but I'm not sure that's coming anytime soon.

• ED Team

Hi

thank you for the feedback. 

A few points from me,

ATC is W.I.P and will be tweaked for the super carrier. 

ATC for core DCS is in progress but will take time.

New features like the ready room are in progress, new feature to DCS will take time while the team get it right.

During the early access period, the following additional features will be added:

Air Boss station.

Briefing room.

Occupy the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) station with PLAT camera, including VR support.

More LSO station interactions.

Combined Arms integration.

"Burble" effect.

Wave off and bolter return to pattern radio messages.

Functional barricade net.

Information about what is planned can be seen on the store page, FAQ, and progress found in the mini update thread 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/supercarrier/

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/228851-supercarrier-faq/?tab=comments#comment-4227612

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/228670-dcs-supercarrier-mini-updates/?tab=comments#comment-4293163

Best regards

BIGNEWY

• Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I hate to say it but I think most of the players don't really care about the airboss station, ready and briefing room etc features. Those are just one time gimmicks. At least not in this current state that the carrier is, maybe those would be more approriate later. The deck should be much more alive. Crew guiding planes with light sticks, loudspeaker voices etc. 

The whole carrier progress has been abandoned for the last 9 months or so.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, bkthunder said:

there just isn't any life or anything happening except at the catapult

So, there was nothing there before and now the animated crew does not provide immersion enough, have sterile animations and is on the cats only? I mean what did you guys expect? Every crew member living the sims life out there with specific character, looks and moods?

Do you know that it's not yet completed (EA)? It means more crew animations, functions and light wands will come.

Do you know that you can place any number of animated crew in Mission Editor and create a life on the carrier yourself?

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

6 hours ago, Blinde said:

I hate to say it but I think most of the players don't really care about the airboss station, ready and briefing room etc features. Those are just one time gimmicks. At least not in this current state that the carrier is, maybe those would be more approriate later. The deck should be much more alive. Crew guiding planes with light sticks, loudspeaker voices etc. 

I agree, this is something that serious users wont use after an initial look and resources would be better concentrated on the rest of the features. 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

12 hours ago, Blinde said:

Can't disagree with this one. Flight deck ops should be the primary focus. Improved, smoother crew animations would also be a nice thing, a lot of it looks very artificial now. TBH, I don't even know why we're bothering with detailed hangars etc, since pilots rarely see these.

I will say one thing though, it seems like ED has set up an internal roadmap for the SC and at this stage, it may just be a better idea to let them finish it. It'd just be nice to know that roadmap, so we know when to expect stuff.

Edited by Harker
  • Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Would've been nice to get a roadmap questionnaire for the SuperCarrier like the Hornet especially since nothing major has been added since initial release. I feel the flight deck and ATC should be top priority. Most importantly better fps in VR. Also, better AI pathing logic, more deck crew activity like directing traffic, the ability to select which parking spot to spawn on in single player, etc. The only non-flight deck feature I want is the ability to control the elevators. However, that's a moot point since there is no auto-towing system for the Player. There's no denying that ED hasn't released much since the initial release which is surprising since the SC is pretty much the first of its kind for PC. I figured ED would ride that wave.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

2 hours ago, pimp said:

Would've been nice to get a roadmap questionnaire for the SuperCarrier like the Hornet especially since nothing major has been added since initial release. I feel the flight deck and ATC should be top priority. Most importantly better fps in VR. Also, better AI pathing logic, more deck crew activity like directing traffic, the ability to select which parking spot to spawn on in single player, etc. The only non-flight deck feature I want is the ability to control the elevators. However, that's a moot point since there is no auto-towing system for the Player. There's no denying that ED hasn't released much since the initial release which is surprising since the SC is pretty much the first of its kind for PC. I figured ED would ride that wave.

You said it. These are the basic stuff that we need and want.

ED has a bit too many projects on their hands and they have been scattered all around without finishing one thing or at least focusing on it (except the Hornet and likely those new clouds at the moment). I mean now there's Hind coming and then Apache. And still there are things to do like updating the effects, fix the bugs and then there is this one minor module, the Super Carrier...

Edited by Blinde

9 hours ago, draconus said:

So, there was nothing there before and now the animated crew does not provide immersion enough, have sterile animations and is on the cats only? Yes

I mean what did you guys expect? Every crew member living the sims life out there with specific character, looks and moods? Not really, but wouldn't that be great?

Do you know that it's not yet completed (EA)? Yes 

It means more crew animations, functions and light wands will come.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, bkthunder said:

Overall, at this stage I just didn't see a reason to spend 30-40$ for a glorified 3d model and some animated crew.

Do you know that you can place any number of animated crew in Mission Editor and create a life on the carrier yourself? Yes, however I don't consider a few stationary figures hand-placed here and there to be a "life"

Edited by bkthunder
  • Like 1

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s