Which AAA/SAM unit is able to intercept AGM-88 HARMs?

VTJS17_Fire

I searched the forums and youtube and only found the SA-10 is capable of intercepting a AGM-88 in DCS. The video was made in June 2019, so my question is, is this still the only SAM system, which can intercept the ARM?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On land, the Patriot, SA-10, and SA-15 have sensors good enough to detect the missiles. Technically, all IR systems can too, but they rarely have the range and reaction speed needed for it to do any good.

At sea, the HHQ-9, HQ-16, Phalanx, RAMs, Sea Sparrows, SA-N-6 (navalised S-300F), SA-N-9 (navalised Tor-M1), SA-N-12 (navalised Buk-M3), and SA-N-20 (navalised S-300FM) can do it, but the way ships work, they're pretty useless to waste ARMs on even in cases where it really should work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Yes, on its own, the SA-19 isn't terribly capable as far as detection goes. It has optical (which takes ages to do a full sweep) and its search radar (which is not very long range and not the best against small targets), but if it gets help to detect anything using other sensor units, it will happily fire at just about anything it now knows about.

This makes it an even bigger surprise-bleep-you unit than the SA-13: it doesn't really use its own radar (because it doesn't have to) and thus doesn't get targeted, and suddenly when everything should be dead already, you get an optically guided, un-spoofable missile up your tailpipe. 😄

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Just now, Tippis said:

Yes, on its own, the SA-19 isn't terribly capable as far as detection goes. It has optical (which takes ages to do a full sweep) and its search radar (which is not very long range and not the best against small targets), but if it gets help to detect anything using other sensor units, it will happily fire at just about anything it now knows about.

This makes it an even bigger surprise-bleep-you unit than the SA-13: it doesn't really use its own radar (because it doesn't have to) and thus doesn't get targeted, and suddenly when everything should be dead already, you get an optically guided, un-spoofable missile up your tailpipe. 😄

Does it work like this in DCS though? I mean, if we put a Sborka in same group with Tunguska for example, will it engage without emitting once Sborka detects a target for it? Sounds plausible, but I've never tried it on mission editor.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

52 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Does it work like this in DCS though? I mean, if we put a Sborka in same group with Tunguska for example, will it engage without emitting once Sborka detects a target for it? Sounds plausible, but I've never tried it on mission editor.

It still has its own missile parameters that it will rely on for firing, and I'm not sure the Sborka really offers any benefit other than early detection, as opposed to whatever degree of actual location the Tunguska needs to fire. That said, I have seen Tunguskas fire without any threat indication so it is possible for it to just go on some internal “I know the target is here, so I can look there, so I can now fire and guide the missile” logic. For missile defence in particular, the Sborka is… less than helpful regardless, due to its relatively high target size limit: it simply won't detect anything much smaller than an anit-ship or cruise missile.

Just in general, how “target knowledge” is really handled and shared in groups is almost entirely opaque — it's easy to say what the individual unit does; much harder what they do  as a matched set; almost impossible once you start mixing things up.

Yeah I was thinking of engaging aircraft rather than incoming missiles so used Sborka as an example of external data source. I have seen lonely Tunguskas fire without lock/launch warning, but search warning was tripped in those cases, but that was some years ago now.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder, how a  shoulder launched IR missile and its operator could see and track a high speed ARM, like the HARM. 🙄

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 2/17/2021 at 9:59 AM, VTJS17_Fire said:

I searched the forums and youtube and only found the SA-10 is capable of intercepting a AGM-88 in DCS. The video was made in June 2019, so my question is, is this still the only SAM system, which can intercept the ARM?

No, the SA-15 Tor can also intercept it..:)

I just spent 4 hours testing every Russian AAA/SAM unit currently in the game (March 2nd 2021) and found that only the SA-10 and Tor would engage the AGM-88C HARM.

Below- A Hornet lets one fly-

dcs-Horn-HARM88-launch.jpg

And up comes an SA-10 to take it out-

dcs-sa-10-vs-HARM88.jpg

And in this next test up comes a Tor with the same result..

dcs-Tor-v-Harm88.jpg

All the units below (including IR missiles) did NOT engage the HARMs-

ZSU-23-4 Shilka, SA-2, SA-3, SA-6 Kub,

all 4 AAA guns, SA-8 Osa, SA-9 Strela 1,

SA-13 Strela, SA-11 Buk

SA-18 Igla, SA-18 Igla-S, SA-19 Tunguska.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Yeah, in further tests, the TORs are good in defending other SAM systems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

SA-5 will intercept a HARM.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 2:56 PM, =Mac= said:

SA-5 will intercept a HARM.

Do you have a video of that happening? Was surprised by your comment and decided to test. No luck, SA-5 does not react at all to HARMs flying towards it from 50nm.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 1 month later...

So far I have been able to get the SA-10 (and all the modded S300 variants), Roland, Patriot, SA-15, SA-22,  and NASAMS to engage harms. The Rolands suck at it, but totally can, they are nice for point defense if you have ALOT of Telars around and spread out in order for them to react properly.

Might try the SA-24, I have all the sam mods, didn't know about that one, I have heard the HQ-7 can but have had absolutely 0 luck trying to get it to work...

On 2/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, RavenFrost said:

I experienced two SA-19 as group don't intercept an ARM. Two SA-19 combined with a SA-11 (CC,SR, 4xLN) intercept ARM. So it depends how the network is build. I like to build my ADS with several EWR ,long and short-range SAMs, plus some AAA.

I was surprised I've missed this in the past.... Tried it out of curiosity, but unfortunately, it does not seem to work anymore. 2x SA-19 combined with a functional SA-11 group did not yield any success.

The Tunguska got buffed and nerfed a couple of times in the past couple of years... Unfortunately, it does not seem to be able to stop HARMs anymore. That said, it can still engage bigger cruise missiles, such as the Harpoon/SLAM-ER

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days