Which AAA/SAM unit is able to intercept AGM-88 HARMs?

I searched the forums and youtube and only found the SA-10 is capable of intercepting a AGM-88 in DCS. The video was made in June 2019, so my question is, is this still the only SAM system, which can intercept the ARM?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On land, the Patriot, SA-10, and SA-15 have sensors good enough to detect the missiles. Technically, all IR systems can too, but they rarely have the range and reaction speed needed for it to do any good.

At sea, the HHQ-9, HQ-16, Phalanx, RAMs, Sea Sparrows, SA-N-6 (navalised S-300F), SA-N-9 (navalised Tor-M1), SA-N-12 (navalised Buk-M3), and SA-N-20 (navalised S-300FM) can do it, but the way ships work, they're pretty useless to waste ARMs on even in cases where it really should work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I experienced two SA-19 as group don't intercept an ARM. Two SA-19 combined with a SA-11 (CC,SR, 4xLN) intercept ARM. So it depends how the network is build. I like to build my ADS with several EWR ,long and short-range SAMs, plus some AAA.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, on its own, the SA-19 isn't terribly capable as far as detection goes. It has optical (which takes ages to do a full sweep) and its search radar (which is not very long range and not the best against small targets), but if it gets help to detect anything using other sensor units, it will happily fire at just about anything it now knows about.

This makes it an even bigger surprise-bleep-you unit than the SA-13: it doesn't really use its own radar (because it doesn't have to) and thus doesn't get targeted, and suddenly when everything should be dead already, you get an optically guided, un-spoofable missile up your tailpipe. 😄

Just now, Tippis said:

Yes, on its own, the SA-19 isn't terribly capable as far as detection goes. It has optical (which takes ages to do a full sweep) and its search radar (which is not very long range and not the best against small targets), but if it gets help to detect anything using other sensor units, it will happily fire at just about anything it now knows about.

This makes it an even bigger surprise-bleep-you unit than the SA-13: it doesn't really use its own radar (because it doesn't have to) and thus doesn't get targeted, and suddenly when everything should be dead already, you get an optically guided, un-spoofable missile up your tailpipe. 😄

Does it work like this in DCS though? I mean, if we put a Sborka in same group with Tunguska for example, will it engage without emitting once Sborka detects a target for it? Sounds plausible, but I've never tried it on mission editor.

Modules:

MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk T1A, C-101, FC3, A-10C, CA, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, L-39, MiG-15Bis, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, Yak-52, Christen Eagle II, MiG-19, I-16, JF-17, F-14, F/A-18C, Fw-190A8, AV-8B/NA, Spitifre IX

Mods:

A-4E, MB-339, Edge 540

Utility modules:

Combined Arms, NS 430 GPS

52 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Does it work like this in DCS though? I mean, if we put a Sborka in same group with Tunguska for example, will it engage without emitting once Sborka detects a target for it? Sounds plausible, but I've never tried it on mission editor.

It still has its own missile parameters that it will rely on for firing, and I'm not sure the Sborka really offers any benefit other than early detection, as opposed to whatever degree of actual location the Tunguska needs to fire. That said, I have seen Tunguskas fire without any threat indication so it is possible for it to just go on some internal “I know the target is here, so I can look there, so I can now fire and guide the missile” logic. For missile defence in particular, the Sborka is… less than helpful regardless, due to its relatively high target size limit: it simply won't detect anything much smaller than an anit-ship or cruise missile.

Just in general, how “target knowledge” is really handled and shared in groups is almost entirely opaque — it's easy to say what the individual unit does; much harder what they do  as a matched set; almost impossible once you start mixing things up.

Yeah I was thinking of engaging aircraft rather than incoming missiles so used Sborka as an example of external data source. I have seen lonely Tunguskas fire without lock/launch warning, but search warning was tripped in those cases, but that was some years ago now.

Modules:

MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk T1A, C-101, FC3, A-10C, CA, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, L-39, MiG-15Bis, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, Yak-52, Christen Eagle II, MiG-19, I-16, JF-17, F-14, F/A-18C, Fw-190A8, AV-8B/NA, Spitifre IX

Mods:

A-4E, MB-339, Edge 540

Utility modules:

Combined Arms, NS 430 GPS

• 2 weeks later...