New User Advice Needed Please

Hi Everyone

I am new to DCS and have just registered on your forum.

I have just upgraded from a Thrustmaster HOTAS X to a Thrustmaster HOTAS Wathog Throttle, Joystick and rudder pedals. I have purchased the Spitfire, ME-109 (both variants), FW-190, Sabre and the F-16. 

I have tried to setup the throttle, joystick and rudder pedals but have found that, by default, some settings are bound incorrectly. For example, the default throttle settings also operate the rudder pedals ! I have spent time trying to remove the incorrect throttle bindings and to establish new ones that work correctly. So far, without success.

Could someone point me in the right direction to enable me to set up one central set of throttle, joystick and rudder pedal settings that can be set once and can then be applied to all aircraft ?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance, pointers or links to FAQ's, videos, documentation etc to get me off the ground.

50 minutes ago, Ed-B said:

Could someone point me in the right direction to enable me to set up one central set of throttle, joystick and rudder pedal settings that can be set once and can then be applied to all aircraft ?

That's not possible. You have to do this for each aircraft individually under each aircraft controls, section Axis from the drop down manu. By default part of the bindings are indeed not correct. You have to remove them (don't use clear all because you clear "all" bindings then, also keyboard etc...). But once this done, you don't have to look back. You don't need to use save/load profiles either. Just adjust your bindings and click the OK button.

Also, if you don't fly the planes in "game or easy" setup, don't bother to bind them. Easy and Sim mode are 2 different setups.

Once all done, you can make a backup of the bindings to be found in: C:\Users\*you*\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input . In it you will find a dir for each aircraft, if you open this up, you find a few directory's with amongst them "joystick" (i backup the entire Input dir). If for some reason things get messy, just place the backup back and your on your way again. If you run both the stable and open beta DCS versions, you can use this to copy your bindings over from one install to the other.

Edited by Lange_666

Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi Lange_666     Many thanks for getting back to me, that's really helpful. Looks like I have my time taken up for a  good few hours but it's going to be worth it. I've been using IL2 for years but the move to DCS has been definitely worthwhile. What a brilliant simulator. All the best, Ed

• Like 1

These are default bindings and are separate for each device, so if connected together they can be conflicting. It is by design as it's better to have them like that than to have them empty. It's easy to fix - just make sure you have one axis command (one row) assigned to only one device (in one column), ex. rudder only to pedals axis, roll to your stick X, pitch to stick Y, throttle to its own axis... Once you correctly did that and tested on one aircraft it's quick job to do the same on others.

i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3, Win10Home64, 27" LCD FullHD, T16000M HOTAS, customTiR

Aircraft: FC3, F-14A/B; Pack: Supercarrier; Maps: NTTR, PG

6 hours ago, Ed-B said:

Hi Lange_666     Many thanks for getting back to me, that's really helpful. Looks like I have my time taken up for a  good few hours but it's going to be worth it. I've been using IL2 for years but the move to DCS has been definitely worthwhile. What a brilliant simulator. All the best, Ed

A few things that I learned over the hours that have helped me..

When loading up a plane you haven't setup, any device DCS doesn't specifically have a profile for will get assigned the Joystick profile.. this is what leads to having pitch/rudder/throttle/etc all being bound initially.

In the DCS control setup, the header of the device column, where the name is, has a caret with a dropdown menu. You can use this to clear all bindings for one device. Also you can save/load profiles for a device through this menu.

On the left side, for each category grouping, is a similar caret, where you can clear all the bindings just for that category, and also select which devices you want to clear it for.

So, I'll go through and do a combination of clearing a column (for a device I totally need to rebind because it loaded the default joystick profile), and clearing control categories (like for categories where I know I don't want any keyboard bindings).

Then start binding. After bindings are done, I use the 'save profile' option for each device column to save out profiles, like "A10CII_MDF_Left" and "A10CII_MDF_Throttle". At least with the A10, an advantage with the profiles is that you can load the same profiles between the A10C and A10CII, and it covers most everything except for like the HMCS. Also I have 3 MFD's, and sometimes the bindings for the two with ID of 'MFD 1' will get switched. With profiles, I can easily load the left profile back on my left MFD.

The profiles get saved in '<user>\Saved Games\DCS\InputUserProfiles'. I created a folder for each plane in there to group profiles.

Edited by Monkwolf

Many thanks for all of your help and advice guys, I have had a quick go at resetting the rudder and joystick bindings and it works. You've saved me hours of experimenting. All the best, Ed