Offline Mode Not Working

SharpeXB

I tried to use DCS with my internet down and it won’t work. I thought it had an offline mode but it appears not to function. Is that true? DCS will only run when online?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

When my internet is down and I start DCS usually it tries to connect to the authentication server. If it realizes that there's no internet connection, it shows me a countdown timer with usually a couple days - based on my previous authentication/license check, and a box that warns me that multiplayer will not be available. I'm sure if you're only online once in a while so the software can make sure your credentials are legit, you should be able to play single player offline no problem.

Umm note this is the standalone DCS version, not Steam.

Edited by Dunbal
Added last sentence.

The days you are granted for offline mode are based on the last time you logged in. So if you haven't run DCS in 2 weeks, but then want to run it offline because your internet went down, it won't work. If you put it in offline mode from the menu while connected, the timer won't lock you out.

Too bad internet providers don't give us notice before going down.

Back when offline mode was implemented, after they switched to account based DRM, this was mentioned as a shortfall of the system. Nothing came of it though. 

If your phone will hotspot, you can use it to connect long enough to go in a switch it.

I haven’t been on DCS in maybe a week. Perhaps that’s the problem. I’ve been able to play offline before though. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• ED Team

We would need to see your dcs log for clues. 

Offline mode seems to be working for me, if you continue to have problems I would contact support directly 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I can’t post the logs since my internet is down. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I haven’t been on DCS in maybe a week. Perhaps that’s the problem. I’ve been able to play offline before though. 

Unless you have it specifically in offline mode, the authorization is only good for about 3 days from the last time you authorized it.  So if you had been on and authorized it in the last couple of days you'd be OK with no internet, but if it was a week ago then you won't have a valid authorization until you go online with it again (even briefly).  I usually only leave internet connected long enough to authorize then turn if off again on my gaming computer.

If you switch it to true offline mode it won't check for updates, but it will keep it's authorization for extended periods.  IIRC being in offline mode could cause issues if you have to change out a major component of your computer (I can't remember the details on this part since I don't use offline mode).

17 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I can’t post the logs since my internet is down. 

Then how do you post here? Can you share your mobile connection with the PC for a moment? 1 minute just to authorize and turn on offline mode.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

Then how do you post here? Can you share your mobile connection with the PC for a moment? 1 minute just to authorize and turn on offline mode.

I’m on a cell phone. My PC doesn’t have a Bluetooth or wifi so I’m not sure how that sharing would work. 

5 hours ago, draconus said:

That worked, THANKS!

You're a life saver, I’m stuck working from home under a Covid and ice storm induced lockdown. Now I have WiFi back 😀

(and DCS)

• Like 1