Software for button input indications during game

Hi!

I have been looking around for some software, that can help me keep visual awareness of what buttons I push during flight other than the simulated cockpit. I am looking for something that can run in the background on a seperate screen on my computer, and give me some permanent visual customizable indications. For example say button 1 is gear up/down. When I press button 1 then a box with the text "Gears" lights up in the window. When I press it again, it turns off.

I have found Matricapp.com, but it's a android-to-pc inputting app, so getting it to work on pc requires emulation of android and also LUA, since it does not read inputs on the pc directly, but can read game-states through the API.

I am looking for something simpler, that is, something that does not require a lot of working around. Preferably too without having to mess about with LUA, or if necessary, preferably something with thorough and basic tutorials that a dim-witted script-kiddie is able to follow.

'Simpler' ... the software should read the main configuration file and the 'custom' joystick file so as not to have to enter a duplicate
Some buttons are flip-flop like the one mentioned 'Gears', but others are 'On' that if maintained.
Will have to display all the buttons or that some ... with the combinations via the 'modifiers', it represents a lot of possibility to display and to be able to read easily...

In the end, I doubt that it will be very user-friendly and 'simple',  I chose to make a 'reminder' sheet with the flight controls (cyclic, collective) and why not have it on a kneeboard

This is just my simple opinion 😉

1 hour ago, Tanuki44 said:

'Simpler' ... the software should read the main configuration file and the 'custom' joystick file so as not to have to enter a duplicate
Some buttons are flip-flop like the one mentioned 'Gears', but others are 'On' that if maintained.
Will have to display all the buttons or that some ... with the combinations via the 'modifiers', it represents a lot of possibility to display and to be able to read easily...

In the end, I doubt that it will be very user-friendly and 'simple',  I chose to make a 'reminder' sheet with the flight controls (cyclic, collective) and why not have it on a kneeboard

This is just my simple opinion 😉

Fair opinion.

I figured, if it is possible to make software like Xpadder, JoystickGremlin, JoytoKey where one can customize device output almost ad libitum, and make games like DCS where button presses and flip switches can be interpreted to mean 'on/off' or '1-2-3' or 1%-100%, it would be equally possible, that someone somewhere had thought to make software, that visualize the same information. Most device software visualize when I press a button, which button I have pressed.

For example in DCS, if you have add a switch as a modifer, there is Nothing - no visual feedback at all - that tells you, whether that switch is on or off. And unless you note it somewhere, every time you push it a checklist will not help.

Level one - an acceptable solution - would not involve feedback between DCS and the visualization software. If the 'gears' box in the software by default is 'down', and at the beginning of the mission, gears in-game are up, I could just pause the game and press the gears button to synchonize.

Level two would be with feedback.

For example in DCS, if you have add a switch as a modifer, there is Nothing - no visual feedback at all - that tells you, whether that switch is on or off. And unless you note it somewhere, every time you push it a checklist will not help.

Absolutely,  this was my main problem when switching from standard mode to combat mode,I solved the problem using AutoHotKey, but specific for the Huey which has an AI panel that I display as a combat mode indicator.

19 hours ago, DeJohn said:

The Helios panel program would be the easiest solution for you. You could either use an existing panel profile or make your own to suit your needs.

I have just discovered it yesterday! And you are rightn it does (almost) do, what I want. Do you know - or know where I can find a tutorial in - how to make customized inputs in a panel? I'm using Captain Zeens files, but they are limited to certain exports from dcs fx engine RPM but not engine on/off or gears up/down for that matter. I can make buttons on the panel, but I can only switch them by clicking on the panel, not by keyboard presses or (preferably) state changes in DCS.