Jump to content

Is it to be expected by squadron always dies?


Recommended Posts

I know full well the AI in DCS is terrible. I just finished the new Enemy Within campaign with the A-10 and am fully used to my wingman just flying into a mountain or getting shot down by manpads on every single mission. 

 

My question is should I just expect the same thing here? I really like the idea of how you did this and I think it's a pretty spectacular 'hack' to solve the DCS dynamic campaign problem. It took me a couple tries to figure Pontus out (I should have read the manual, of course) but now that I do have at least a decent understanding of how this works, I have played my first 'real' mission twice now (with two different codes, from restarting the campaign) and in both missions everyone was shot down. 

 

On the second one, two of them were down before the enemies even showed up (no idea how). 

 

I fully understand you cant help the AI, so I am just curious if I should expect these losses every mission like I did with the other campaigns or if I should take this as me doing something wrong and I could do better somehow. I'm fine either way I jus dont want to waste time thinking I am doing something wrong in the planning phase when in reality, the AI is just dumb. 

 

Should I be setting waypoints for the rest of the squadron like I do myself or is it okay to rely on the task you give them?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Campaign devs are aware of this and they said it will be handled better in next update. It has something to do how is return waypoints done for AI.

 

Same for me, after successful CAPs and SEADS nearly all my squadron dies. Row of radio ejecting messages at the end is so bizarre 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly it is just the DCS AI, and for the moment we've got to put up with it.

 

On the bright side, we have to assume that ED will sort out a lot of these AI issues within the next year or two. There is no way they can release their own Dynamic Campaign without a major AI overhaul. It would be a complete, unmitigated disaster if they did.

 

For me, AI is the one thing holding DCS back from being a brilliant simulator, especially for the single-player crowd out there.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

 

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, brodie4598 said:

I know full well the AI in DCS is terrible. I just finished the new Enemy Within campaign with the A-10 and am fully used to my wingman just flying into a mountain or getting shot down by manpads on every single mission. 

 

My question is should I just expect the same thing here? I really like the idea of how you did this and I think it's a pretty spectacular 'hack' to solve the DCS dynamic campaign problem. It took me a couple tries to figure Pontus out (I should have read the manual, of course) but now that I do have at least a decent understanding of how this works, I have played my first 'real' mission twice now (with two different codes, from restarting the campaign) and in both missions everyone was shot down. 

 

On the second one, two of them were down before the enemies even showed up (no idea how). 

 

I fully understand you cant help the AI, so I am just curious if I should expect these losses every mission like I did with the other campaigns or if I should take this as me doing something wrong and I could do better somehow. I'm fine either way I jus dont want to waste time thinking I am doing something wrong in the planning phase when in reality, the AI is just dumb. 

 

Should I be setting waypoints for the rest of the squadron like I do myself or is it okay to rely on the task you give them?

 

Hey🙂, thanks for your feedback. From our part, we constantly try to improve the AI behavior. 

 

Even though you are not able to change the waypoints for the rest of the squadron, you can set there area of operations though F10 menu when you assign their tasks. This applies at the moment only for CAP roles. 

 

For more tips you can have a look here: 

 

Hope that helps. 😉

 

 

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

 

 

On the bright side, we have to assume that ED will sort out a lot of these AI issues within the next year or two. There is no way they can release their own Dynamic Campaign without a major AI overhaul. It would be a complete, unmitigated disaster if they did.

 Sad but very, very true. 

 

12 hours ago, petritis said:

 

 

Hey🙂, thanks for your feedback. From our part, we constantly try to improve the AI behavior. 

 

Even though you are not able to change the waypoints for the rest of the squadron, you can set there area of operations though F10 menu when you assign their tasks. This applies at the moment only for CAP roles. 

 

For more tips you can have a look here: 

 

Hope that helps. 😉

 

 

 

Thanks petritis - dont worry - know it's not the campaign's fault. I actually did well myself - I killed the target assigned and shot down 3 enemies so I thought it was a fun engagement. I just had this huge sense of failure when I realized by whole squadron had been shot down.

 

I will continue on the rest of the campaign and only worry about myself - thanks so much.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...