Set Height of Static Object

DHesquire

Is there a way to set the height of a static object?  I'd like to set the height of a standard FARP to just drop by a couple of ft into the terrain in order to hide the grass and just leave the T and H's exposed (horrible green FARP in a desert and I don't want the ache of mods on the server etc etc).  I thought there'd surely be a lua where you can just setObjectHeight(-5) or something but can't find it anywhere 😞

System

Monitor: RoG SWIFT PG349Q | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | CPU: Intel Core i7-3970X | RAM: 16GB Corsair CMT8GX3M2B2133C9 | GPU: RoG STRIX GeForce 1080Ti | SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB | HDD: 2x 1TB WD 10k Velociraptor (RAID0)

Modules

DCS World: | BS2 | A10C | CA | UH1 | Mi8 | FC3 | HT1 | L39 | SA342 | F5E | M2K | NTTR | AJS37 | AV8B | F18 | PG | C101 | F16 | SC | A4E | MB339 | Falcon 4: BMS | FSX:SE

51 minutes ago, DHesquire said:

... I don't want the ache of mods on the server etc etc).  

When you edit a Lua, you are essentially modding the Sim .. it's the same as using a Mod created by a more experienced user.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No.

3D objects are "dropped" by the core sim onto the ground and bury themselves at their own discretion, not by anything scripting has accessible. They don't rotate and th eonly height change can be via some spawning onto another object then deleting that (so the only way is up)
Sadly.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

14 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

When you edit a Lua, you are essentially modding the Sim .. it's the same as using a Mod created by a more experienced user.

Perhaps, but at least a LUA I can include in the miz file and it's plug-and-play - a desert FARP texture everyone needs to download and install individually (for now...) 😃

10 hours ago, Pikey said:

No.

3D objects are "dropped" by the core sim onto the ground and bury themselves at their own discretion, not by anything scripting has accessible. They don't rotate and th eonly height change can be via some spawning onto another object then deleting that (so the only way is up)
Sadly.

4 hours ago, Hardcard said:

What Pikey said.

No worries, thanks all 😁

System

Monitor: RoG SWIFT PG349Q | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | CPU: Intel Core i7-3970X | RAM: 16GB Corsair CMT8GX3M2B2133C9 | GPU: RoG STRIX GeForce 1080Ti | SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB | HDD: 2x 1TB WD 10k Velociraptor (RAID0)

Modules

DCS World: | BS2 | A10C | CA | UH1 | Mi8 | FC3 | HT1 | L39 | SA342 | F5E | M2K | NTTR | AJS37 | AV8B | F18 | PG | C101 | F16 | SC | A4E | MB339 | Falcon 4: BMS | FSX:SE

Regarding the  question of what lua can do - whilst LUA can execute in a mission, it has restricted access to modules and libraries that is enforced by the game. A certain file in core DCS "nils" these so they cannot be used by default. One of these is the operating system module which allows access to the "execute" method. Other sanitised modules are the local file system and IO. as well as not being able to load the loadlibrary command and so on.
Whilst you can uncomment this (and its done a lot for server side which is less restricted), you can't guarantee everyone does and getting a userbase to de sanitise themselves so you can run arbitrary code via the mission is obviously not ethical. Not to mention, new skins require the game to reload anyway so that's kindda blown away.
I have tested os.execute and lua gives you a dirty great big DOS prompt on yourscreen whilst flying whilst it works away... not even good, lua is terrible for this, has to be done from the core C engine.
Also this has been suggested, even this year internally, that we could get missing skins to download from the server. I can't see it happening fast, but at least you know its something that many others have wanted.

52 minutes ago, DHesquire said:

Perhaps, but at least a LUA I can include in the miz file and it's plug-and-play - a desert FARP texture everyone needs to download and install individually (for now...) 😃

No worries, thanks all 😁

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

On 2/16/2021 at 12:28 PM, Pikey said:

Regarding the  question of what lua can do - whilst LUA can execute in a mission, it has restricted access to modules and libraries that is enforced by the game. A certain file in core DCS "nils" these so they cannot be used by default. One of these is the operating system module which allows access to the "execute" method. Other sanitised modules are the local file system and IO. as well as not being able to load the loadlibrary command and so on.
Whilst you can uncomment this (and its done a lot for server side which is less restricted), you can't guarantee everyone does and getting a userbase to de sanitise themselves so you can run arbitrary code via the mission is obviously not ethical. Not to mention, new skins require the game to reload anyway so that's kindda blown away.
I have tested os.execute and lua gives you a dirty great big DOS prompt on yourscreen whilst flying whilst it works away... not even good, lua is terrible for this, has to be done from the core C engine.
Also this has been suggested, even this year internally, that we could get missing skins to download from the server. I can't see it happening fast, but at least you know its something that many others have wanted.

Thank you for that, nice insight 🙂  

I for one am not fussed about P2P textures, but server-side would be huge for sure.  Hadn't even thought about it being for more than just the aircraft.  Obviously the security implications are big with running server code but they always will be in this day and age.  At least it's being considered - I guess I just add a 'clear ground texture' FARP to the wishlist 😛

System

Modules