Harrier module

vermu

Hi,

I own f-18 and f-16 modules. I haven't thought of buying harrier before though I like the looks a lot and have seen in air shows.

Today I saw interview about coming Falklands map and my brother said how real life pilot was praising the harriers cockpit.

That's why I now have a bit of itch for harrier and sales ends in 20 hours. How far harrier module is in development? I don't want another f-16. Is it worth to get now?

You should probably start by going to that part of forum and actually reading about it. Then you'd get your answer, huh?

But in short, the Harrier is pretty far along, though they're still adding stuff that's missing and fixing bugs. If you want more specifics, then you should probably go to the Harrier forum. And read about it.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I got the Harrier module and it is pure air to mud it could do air to air but the best is Aim-9M

It is complete and comes with the tarawa and KC-130 and it is done for the most part

I personally like the Hornet but the Harrier is pretty much complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

I got into DCS as soon as the F-16 Viper became available, the Viper being my all time favourite. Since then, I've acquired the F/A-18, F-14, Spitfire, Huey and most recently the AV-8B Harrier. And I must confess, I have been flying the Harrier almost exclusively lately. Really enjoying it for AG, which is mostly what I enjoy ... so far (single player). If you enjoy the F-16 and F/A-18, I think you'll enjoy the AV-8B ... and VSTOL is a nice feature of this aircraft (Tarawa take-offs and landings).

18 hours ago, Ilias6ty7 said:

I got into DCS as soon as the F-16 Viper became available, the Viper being my all time favourite. Since then, I've acquired the F/A-18, F-14, Spitfire, Huey and most recently the AV-8B Harrier. And I must confess, I have been flying the Harrier almost exclusively lately. Really enjoying it for AG, which is mostly what I enjoy ... so far (single player). If you enjoy the F-16 and F/A-18, I think you'll enjoy the AV-8B ... and VSTOL is a nice feature of this aircraft (Tarawa take-offs and landings).

I love the Harrier too - it's challenging and with a full load of bombs getting off the Carrier  safely - for me anyway - is always a bit 50/50! Have yet to manage a VSTOL landing on the T.

Edited by C3PO

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

If you understand the avionics of a Hornet the Harrier Avionics is not too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

Tried both the A-10 and the F-18 and neither were to my taste.  The harries fits a unique role: decent weapon loadout, but very rapid turn-around.  The module is complete minus the fine polish (key bindings still missing) and the promised in the future items.  

On a regular multiplayer server, enemy air makes the harrier a bit tricky, but if you play on a dedicated air to ground with no real red air, it really shines as a ordinance over time platform.  It is all I fly lately for about two months now.

It is also quirky and frustrating to learn, but most problems I ran into were user error.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cw4ogden said:

Tried both the A-10 and the F-18 and neither were to my taste.  The harries fits a unique role: decent weapon loadout, but very rapid turn-around.

Harrier has something special in it. When it comes to close air support, I don't consider F/A-18C for that task, like at all. Dunno why, regardless the real life experiences with it for that sort a thing.

But, regardless that A-10C was first full fidelity CAS aircraft in DCS, it was never for me as effective as a Su-25T or Su-25A were. The A-10C just lacks something in it.

The Harrier has something unique with its V/TOL capability. I love the missions where you start with short take-off (like 100 meters) middle of the forest or even vertically, with limited weapons and fuel. You work with what you got, and return often to rearming and refueling and you just keep combat going with it.

I have not warmed up to the idea to continually go to carrier or airbase, but that Harrier just does it so nicely. Maybe it is from the helicopter tactics that you utilize so heavily FARP in missions.

On a regular multiplayer server, enemy air makes the harrier a bit tricky, but if you play on a dedicated air to ground with no real red air, it really shines as a ordinance over time platform.  It is all I fly lately for about two months now.

I actually made same two last months for Harrier only. I today tested A-10C II for a moment for a bug report, and it is nothing a like even if you would fly at same speed and similar weapons etc. It is just clunky and more complex than should be to do the tasking. Why I totally sign that opinion that Harrier has excellent user interface.

What comes to air-to-air combat, it should get even better once we get the FLIR system properly done as probmised. As then we can use in a A-A mode the FLIR to detect the aircraft in the air 90 degree upwards from 1 km front of us. So flying and searching possible air threats becomes much easier. And when we get promised AV-8B+ variant (requires purchase, so not a free addition to N/A) then the radar will make even bigger impact that what Harrier pilots could do. But I hate the idea to lose the ARBS system with DMT for that radar. It is so unique thing for the workflow how effective you can be.

It is also quirky and frustrating to learn, but most problems I ran into were user error.

What comes to the cockpit itself (like nozzle lever system, start-up etc) I think it is very straight forward. Very clear and simple. Truly love the two clocks in cockpit (clock and stopwatch) as well the digital versions of it.

But when it comes to sensors, it is really very easy. TDC + Sensor Select Switch. That's it really (now what to remeber the uncage and NWS buttons).

And with little training, it turns to be very much faster to perform than A-10C does things, or Hornet. The only thing I really miss from the Hornet or A-10C II is no the JHMCS/Scorpio helmet. So easy to just designate target by looking at it and be ready to go.

The frustrating things that in Harrier is that its main features are broken and lacks the realism. So waiting to get them solved so it would become partially easier to fly and operate and partially more challenging to fly as it should have own quirks (contrast locks, maverick seeker alignments for the system, INS targeting etc).

And with very little real experience in a real F-35 simulator, I can very well understand the standing point that many Harrier pilots do not want to transition to F-35 as it is more difficult to operate. Or let's say, it is not so streamlined for "here is a rock, now throw it at there" like you get with Harrier.

I have wished that Harrier would have come out much sooner, like 2013-2014 already, as it would have very much better audience as well. Now just waiting to get it fixed.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.