Additional rear view settings for VR users

This is a suggestion for ED or some of you computer wiz kids as a mod perhaps but I think it would not be to hard to add two auxiliary views for VR on the X axis say to Pos  4.30 on the right and say 7.30 on the left  i.e. 135 SE and 225 SW respectively to put us on a level playing field with the Track IR users, Situational awareness wise, without breaking our necks. ( I assume its not that hard to do but I know nothing about computing this could be further refined by adding an additional axis from the two positions above to i.e. as we turn our heads left to say 45 deg on normal 1 to 1 scale movement and from 45 to 90 say 2 to one so at 90 you would be facing 135 deg behind this would ( I believe be a little harder but not impossible ).

so if any of you out there can do a mod I think it would make VR a much more viable tool .

Edited by Johnezq
typing correction

What you're asking for is an abolutely terrible idea that no VR dev with a lick of sense would even remotely consider, and neither would you if you had any idea what you were talking about. Altering the movement in the manner you're asking for would 100%, without fail or exception make every single person who touched it, including you, very sick very quickly.

VR is not even remotely the same as other input methods and you cannot do the same things with it. The 1-1 scale of everything is not only ''the whole point'' of VR, but it's also essential to its proper functioning. The only way you are going to successfully ''look around'' like this is with saved snap view positions, say, configure one of your external view to be rear facing over the tail or something, which should be doable with the current camera commands.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

to zhukov032186  Maybe the Axis idea would cause motion sickness I did have my own doubts  but to have an auxiliary view within the cockpit in the first person point of view would be no more disorientating than snapping to an external view one where you can face behind without breaking your neck and would allow VR users a better situational awareness. As to Wether you know what your talking about, as a posed to me ? not knowing who you are and what qualifies you to be so sure I would not presume likewise. So If there are any wiz kids out there who can produce a mod I would not be afraid to try it out what do you think can happen ???? no one is asking you to try it.

Edited by Johnezq

18 hours ago, Johnezq said:

but to have an auxiliary view within the cockpit in the first person point of view would be no more disorientating than snapping to an external view one where you can face behind without breaking your neck and would allow VR users a better situational awareness.

External views and snaps aren't particularly disorienting as they don't affect your core perception. The biological issues behind it is your brain is unable to distinguish between what's real and isn't, disjointed motion and slurred vision is a real world indicator of poisoning to your brain, triggering your gag reflex in effort to purge whatever toxins it assumes you've injested. The ''viewpoint'' isn't any big deal. The disconnect between your body movement and your perception is the danger.

As to Wether you know what your talking about, as a posed to me ? not knowing who you are and what qualifies you to be so sure I would not presume likewise.

It only requires rudimentary knowledge of VR principles, no ''expertise'' necessary. VR 101 sort of stuff like NOT detaching movement from the player's actions or taking the camera away from the player's control. What you asked for is quite literally one of the huge, flashing neon NO things of VR development. Some things are emphatically stressed as DO NOTs because of the near certainty of inducing severe motion sickness in players.

Games designed for VR studiously avoid things on that list. More practically, if you see a VR game emphasising/warning their game is an ''intense'' experience, it almost always means the developers were morons who disregarded one or more of those core principles and you will probably get sick playing their half baked game.

Edited by zhukov032186

looking back is not disorientating ( nor is looking forwards )  if I swivel my chair I'm looking back don't feel any nausea I know I'm looking back. Ill give you that non 1 to 1 movement may be a bad Idea for some but as I still maintain an auxiliary view is not disorientating unless you get travel sickness in a car if the seat is looking towards the rear this however is not for a prolonged time what you are suggesting is that for some reason ED could never release a plane with a rear gunner and every one who takes the place of a side gunner on the helicopter would some how become ill, Is that what you are suggesting??? don't forget some people just get motion sickness wearing VR so they probably don't use it 

On 2/14/2021 at 9:51 AM, zhukov032186 said:

The only way you are going to successfully ''look around'' like this is with saved snap view positions, say, configure one of your external view to be rear facing over the tail or something, which should be doable with the current camera commands.

My very first post in this thread suggested using an external view or snapview facing backwards. My second post again said similar, that offaxis or external views aren't a problem unless they are disconnected from your head movements in a way that triggers your body's natural responses. I'm now stating a third time, that off axis viewpoints are not an issue, only things that disconnect the camera from your body's movements, such as altering the rate of movement in an unnatural fashion as you initially suggested...

So, no, that's not ''what I'm suggesting'' @@

Edited by zhukov032186

Yes? And I have agreed with/endorsed that idea several times now? Did you read the part where I said saving snapviews in the fashion you described should be doable with the current camera system already? If you dig through the admittedly messy interface for all the camera positions there are options for saving snapviews.

I have not had occasion to do that myself, so I can't speak for certainty how to go about doing it or whether it is permanent or has to be redone each time, though. I know some people do it with LUA editing, though, which I'm sure a walkthrough or description can be found around here somewhere. I THINK it works with VR but not 100% certain.

zhukov032186 Thanks for your constructive advise I will look into it although I'm a bit of a troglodyte with Pcs So Ill have to wait for some wiz kid to share a mod 

'speed of heat' did suggest a mod if you can read it maybe you can give it a try I could not work out how to install it.

If I understand correctly, it is a 3rd party program that interfaces with SteamVR and basically acts as a macro. That means whatever headset you're using, you have to use SteamVR to run it, not the Oculus UI for example. I should think you can install it wherever you want, but it probably needs to start before SteamVR does (that's usually how this sort of thing works).

You've got three buttons you've got to assign on your HOTAS. One is a ''calibrate/center'' command and it should be the same as whatever you have set as ''recenter'' in DCS, the others are your look left/right commands. Upon starting the game and facing forward naturally you'll hit recenter to get it ready.

You can select whether it's a snapview, ie instantaneous, or ''accumulative'' which I'm guessing swings it around to that point rapidly. I would suggest the snapview, as rotating your view frequently detached from your head is almost guaranteed to make you sick.

The values you set apply to both L and R, so you can't configure them separately, not that you'd want to normally.

Rotation = how far your vision rotates in degrees. They show 45, which still leaves you turning your head a bit, but less. Imo, if I was going to use something like this, I'd go all the way, probably set it to 100 or even 110 so you don't really have to turn your head.

Translation = lateral movement of the camera. For example when you look over your shoulder in RL, you don't just rotate your head, you turn your body and shift to one side. It says the value is in centimeters, so I'd suggest to avoid staring at your headrest you assign some sort of value. Their suggestion of 10 to the side and 2 forward seems reasonable for looking around the headrest, but you'll adjust to taste.

I used to do something similar in War Thunder before I had a headtracker, used two HAT switches, one for axis rotation and a second for lateral translation with a third button to quickly recenter. Same basic idea, though I get the impression you don't have to ''reset'' it after use, it should only do it while you have the key held.

Note : I have not used, nor do I have access to my computer to verify anything I just told you. That's merely my interpretation of their readme. It sounds like a mod doing what you're requesting (more or less), assuming it actually still works.

Edited by zhukov032186