TWS L&S not clearing upon entry to ACM mode

Swift.

When entering the ACM radar modes from TWS whilst having a pre-existing L&S, the L&S will be maintained as a 'ghost track' that appears at a fixed location from aircraft. 

This Ghost Track will prevent the ACM modes from creating another proper L&S, essentially bricking the radar.

Track attached with neutral aircraft located off the nose with an aspect of about 150, crossing right to left, range 30NM.

NB, this bug is also exhibited with an L&S generated from RWS, track attached.

TWSbug.trk RWSbug.trk

Edited by Swiftwin9s

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• ED Team

Hi swift

do you have any evidence the behaviour should be different?

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Entering ACM should cause the radar to lock the first target it sees (bump acquisition notwithstanding and that's not modeled yet anyway). This is stated in no unclear terms in a certain manual that I can send as PM if needed. From what I could find, it is not mentioned that the L&S is specifically dropped (maybe it's kept in memory mode), but the ACM mode should disregard the L&S and just lock the first target it sees regardless of anything else.

BTW, I tested this myself with an L&S created in RWS, but the ACM BST mode successfully locked up another, undesignated aircraft. Tested with TWS as well, same result. I personally could not reproduce.

Edited by Harker
tested

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Harker said:

Entering ACM should cause the radar to lock the first target it sees (bump acquisition notwithstanding and that's not modeled yet anyway). This is stated in no unclear terms in a certain manual that I can send as PM if needed. From what I could find, it is not mentioned that the L&S is specifically dropped (maybe it's kept in memory mode), but the ACM mode should disregard the L&S and just lock the first target it sees regardless of anything else.

BTW, I tested this myself with an L&S created in RWS, but the ACM BST mode successfully locked up another, undesignated aircraft. Tested with TWS as well, same result. I personally could not reproduce.

Interesting, did you have a chance to test with HACQ? I'm wondering whether this is specific to the acquisition mode.

1 hour ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Interesting, did you have a chance to test with HACQ? I'm wondering whether this is specific to the acquisition mode.

HACQ and LACQ worked as well, as in they acquired targets other than the L&S without issues.

But I did see the ghost L&S and general ghost trackfile bug. The system keeps present trackfiles in their current positions when it enters ACM. The trackfiles stay on the Attack page, but are not extrapolated anymore and of course not updated. If there is an L&S present, it will also be kept in place, with the HUD TD box pointing to its last location in space. It not only keeps the L&S, it also kept a TUC'd track for me, as well as non-TUC'd and non-designated tracks. These trackfiles don't seem to ever go away.

That of course shouldn't happen. After entering ACM, the radar should, at most, extrapolate present tracks until they fade and drop, like it does in SIL mode.

This is a potentially dangerous issue during ACM, if someone is relying on the HUD TD box to locate their target and instead looks at the empty space that was occupied by a trackfile some time ago.

Track attached.

FA-18C_trackfile ghost stays after entering ACM.trk

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

I may be misunderstanding how to use TWS properly but I once I lock up an initial L&S target it won't clear no matter what. Hitting reset doesn't clear it, switching to RWS and depressing TDC on open air where there is no target, ACM modes, nothing takes that L&S target off my scope. When I go off bore it just hangs on one edge of the radar display or the other, even if the supposed target is directly behind me. This makes my TDC cursor useless in relation to getting bulls calls because the information for TDC as it relates to bulls in the upper left is stuck on this target that I cannot drop not matter what I do. Is this normal? 

Edited by Arbil

6 hours ago, Harker said:

HACQ and LACQ worked as well, as in they acquired targets other than the L&S without issues.

But I did see the ghost L&S and general ghost trackfile bug. The system keeps present trackfiles in their current positions when it enters ACM. The trackfiles stay on the Attack page, but are not extrapolated anymore and of course not updated. If there is an L&S present, it will also be kept in place, with the HUD TD box pointing to its last location in space. It not only keeps the L&S, it also kept a TUC'd track for me, as well as non-TUC'd and non-designated tracks. These trackfiles don't seem to ever go away.

That of course shouldn't happen. After entering ACM, the radar should, at most, extrapolate present tracks until they fade and drop, like it does in SIL mode.

This is a potentially dangerous issue during ACM, if someone is relying on the HUD TD box to locate their target and instead looks at the empty space that was occupied by a trackfile some time ago.

Track attached.

FA-18C_trackfile ghost stays after entering ACM.trk 210.38 kB · 2 downloads

I'm curious, having never seen what you describe happen, what does it look like in the HUD when the ghost L&S is present as well as the new L&S that you generated with the H/LACQ?

20 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

I'm curious, having never seen what you describe happen, what does it look like in the HUD when the ghost L&S is present as well as the new L&S that you generated with the H/LACQ?

The ghost TD box disappears and the actual locked target gets a correct box on it. The only think not working correctly is what Jack525 says below.

16 hours ago, Jak525 said:

The problem here is trackfiles aren't being deleted period. Upon entering ACM all onboard trackfiles should be deleted. And, to be clear, this includes the L&S.

That pretty much sums it up. I haven't found info explicitly saying that all tracks should be deleted from memory immediately (you can't interact with them in any way, but maybe they stay in memory in case you exit ACM quickly), but the L&S should definitely be cleared.

-

15 minutes ago, Santi871 said:

Radar track files should be deleted when ACM is entered. I'll report.

Seems like the issue only affects the helmet modes though.

Mega, thanks Santi. I had started to suspect it was Helmet related.