Hardware Help

After some help/advice if possible. Just getting back into DCS after a few years away. Have always built my own PCs - prefer it that way as when it goes wrong it is easier to fix. My current setup is an AMD Athlon Phenom II 1100T, coupled with a GTX770 GPU, 16GB Ram - which was fine a few years ago.

I normally plump for AMD due to the price difference between them and Intel - so have been looking at the latest AMD CPUs - are these better/worse than the current Intels?

I have lost touch with recent hardware developments - but after some guidance for a decent modern gaming PC that won't break the bank.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Either will be fine . Right now , practical availability may be the deciding factor .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

2 hours ago, Leg2ion said:

After some help/advice if possible. Just getting back into DCS after a few years away. Have always built my own PCs - prefer it that way as when it goes wrong it is easier to fix. My current setup is an AMD Athlon Phenom II 1100T, coupled with a GTX770 GPU, 16GB Ram - which was fine a few years ago.

I normally plump for AMD due to the price difference between them and Intel - so have been looking at the latest AMD CPUs - are these better/worse than the current Intels?

I have lost touch with recent hardware developments - but after some guidance for a decent modern gaming PC that won't break the bank.

It all depends on youre motherboard, PCIe 2/3/4? The Ryzen 5000 series are as good than the Intel, the 5600X is excellent.

To take advantage of an AMD PCIe 3 motherboard you'll have of course to go for a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, you have the choice then to bound it with a RAM kit that will boost its capabilities (architecture and reduced latency) but there is a premium. https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/252271-amd-5000-series-cpu-performance-in-dcs/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-4552794

This mean also that you can gain as much as more than 5% in CPU efficiency, the CPU/GPU bound will work better and your PC will be faster overall, then go AMD RX 6800 series, either the 6800 or the 6800XT.

The average O.C headroom for those CPU is 5%, so that's where a good RAM kit can be of advantage, that would be: 4 X 8GB, 1 rank, B.Die kit. I think both G.SKILL and Corsair does them, you'll have to pay the premium compared to a non AMD-optimized RAM kit like anything coming in 2 X 16/2 rank but the gain is equal to higher to what you can get from O.C your GPU.

What is important are the bounds between RAM, CPU and GPU, not necessarily their specific individual specs, if you have a 5 to 10% bottleneck, everything you expect from a GPU or CPU 10% faster is nil, there is a real need to ballance your system by making ther best choice possible before purchasing and apparently, due to the way the Ryzen 5000 are working, it start with the RAM.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

More than happy to upgrade motherboard as well. Currently I have an AM3 slot/chip - so think the new CPUs are AM4?

Was looking at the Asus Rog B550 Gaming - though not sure about the -I vs -F?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

1 hour ago, Leg2ion said:

More than happy to upgrade motherboard as well. Currently I have an AM3 slot/chip - so think the new CPUs are AM4?

Correct. If you're straped for dosh, I recommand going for the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX, It's real cheap, but high quality for the price.

PCIe 3, with BIOS update it takes the Ryzen 5600X without any problem, there is an M2 slot for ultra-fast SSD where you can install games and set up page files, you can find them as bargains, literally, shop around, some providers are letting them go for as little as £79.99, roughly half the price of an MPG X570 GAMING PLUS or Asus Rog B550 Gaming.

Updated BIOS for Ryzen 3
Version
7B86vHB1(Beta version)
Release Date
2020-12-10

Description
- Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch D.
- Support Re-size BAR function to enhance GPU performance.

More to the point, the next generation of AMD is likely to use a different slot so there is little point splashing more dosh into something you'll have to upgrade later if you want to get one of the Zen 4 CPUs, and even if the slot remains the same, it will do the same job as a motherboard twice this price until then.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-gaming-plus-max

At the end of the day, it's your money, but I chose this motherboard for its specs and I certainly don't regret it, the only thing is it is not taking the ultra-fast RAM an X570 can, still 4000/ 4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE), but I'm not after high frequencies, lower latencies works a lot better with Ryzen providing you give them the right RAM.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

If you are on a budget I can confirm that an AMD 3600 non X CPU will run DCS just fine at high ish settings. Its really only over areas such as landing at Dubai using VR or 4k you would need something more powerful like an a AMD 5600x. Also I use 32gb of 3200mhz C16 DDR4, again I use a 4k screen so you might be ok with 16gb. A B550 motherboard from any manufacturer should be ok too.

As for a GPU it depends on what you can get and the resolution you use. When I had a 1080p screen I had a 2060 super and that was more than enough. Now I use 4k I have a 2080ti. I have had both AMD and Nvidia, so far I have found Nvidia performs slightly better especially down low. Not much in it though. 

It would be easier to advise you if I knew what screen you plan to use for the next year or so. Also what settings do you like to use and do you use vsync or prefer the highest fps possible?

Currently using an old 23" LG W2361VPF 1080p panel - though not to say this won't be upgraded. Tend to normally bin vsync.

Only if your on a budget I would go for a AMD 3600 non X and overclock it in Ryzen Master. The motherboard Thinder recommended or similar with 3200mhz ddr4 preferably C16 but C18 would be ok. Check the motherboards QVL list for memory compatibility. Check to see which ddr4 you can buy that will work in a configuration of 4x8gb sticks. That way you can start off with just 16gb and upgrade to 32gb of you feel you need it later on. A nvidia 2060 super will drive a 1080p panel about as fast as the 3600 cpu can go. 

Without a budget and if your planning on going to 1440p or 4k. An AMD 5600x, B550 mobo again 3200mhz ddr4 and whatever gpu you can afford. I would personally go for Nvidia.

Many thanks all - all pointers and advice gratefully received.