Mission 5 issue with Mavs

dburne

I seem to be struggling in mission 5 with the Mavs.

Master Arm and AG is selected.

Confirm the laser code for all 4 Mavs - 1111.

Get to the targets at W3, uncage the Mavs - and never get a lock on any of the targets I am flying directly toward.

Anyone else run across this? I have reviewed Chuck's guide notes and pretty sure I am not missing something - not all that many steps to prepare a Mav for targeting when friendly lasing is being done.

I am sure I am missing something but can not figure out what it might be.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

This is crazy, have spent about three hours with this one today and just can never get a lock. My wingman tells me he is lasing, I uncage my Mav's and they do their seeking - confirm laser code of 1111 is correct. Never do I get a lock. Have tried approaching from various altitudes with no luck at all. Never get the first lock. I usually end up shot down.

I just can not figure out why I never get even the first lock. Heck the Mavs for the most part are already set up for this mission, about all one has to do is uncage them.

edit: Add a couple more hours to it. Mission 5 just ain't working for me.

Guess I will take a break for a while. I was sure enjoying it up till now.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 hours ago, dburne said:

This is crazy, have spent about three hours with this one today and just can never get a lock. My wingman tells me he is lasing, I uncage my Mav's and they do their seeking - confirm laser code of 1111 is correct. Never do I get a lock. Have tried approaching from various altitudes with no luck at all. Never get the first lock. I usually end up shot down.

I just can not figure out why I never get even the first lock. Heck the Mavs for the most part are already set up for this mission, about all one has to do is uncage them.

edit: Add a couple more hours to it. Mission 5 just ain't working for me.

Guess I will take a break for a while. I was sure enjoying it up till now.

Hey dburne,

It is our first time hearing players encounter this issue. Will take a look into it ASAP.

Please use this video as a reference and give it a try: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1vA411u7Jx, time stamp is about 8 minutes in.

ED changed the 65E's range to about 10NM, please make sure that you are in range. In theory, you should be able to just uncage and lock the target, no need to change and parameter.

If possible, please send a trk file and (or) a Tacview file to info@inverted.team, we will look into it and let you know the cause.

Many thanks for your patience.

Best,

FrankMT

8 hours ago, FrankMT said:

Hey dburne,

It is our first time hearing players encounter this issue. Will take a look into it ASAP.

Please use this video as a reference and give it a try: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1vA411u7Jx, time stamp is about 8 minutes in.

ED changed the 65E's range to about 10NM, please make sure that you are in range. In theory, you should be able to just uncage and lock the target, no need to change and parameter.

If possible, please send a trk file and (or) a Tacview file to info@inverted.team, we will look into it and let you know the cause.

Many thanks for your patience.

Best,

FrankMT

Will do a little later on in the day, thanks much!!

Don B

Ok so been trying the last couple of hours. It did manage to work one time for me for destroying one target, but subsequent passes I would never get a lock. The track file attached was my last attempt and did not get a lock on this first pass.

I have tried it with me entering the code of 1111, and without - this mission was without since it would seem it is already hard coded into the mission.

I have many hours in now with just trying this one mission and just never get any target locks.

I would think it should be easy as a Mav launch with someone else doing the lasing should be simple I would think.

Maybe you will see something I am missing that would explain it all. I am ready to give up at this point.

Well I guess I can't attach it as max file size is 5 MB... the trk file is 68mb.

Don B

Ok well that is it for me. I have spent too many hours trying to work with this mission over the last two days.

I just tried a repair of DCS to make sure all files were intact.

Still no go. Mav never gets a lock on the targets. 

I was so loving this campaign as my first campaign but now this is just too much for me, going on to something else I guess.

I am just too frustrated at this point.

Does not look like anyone else has run across this issue so maybe it is just me. Not sure how though, just not that much involved in launching a Mav when the target is being lased for you.

Hope others have better luck,

Edited by dburne

Don B

So being one that hates giving up, I gave it yet another try this morning.

It took multiple passes, but about every three passes I managed to get a lock.

Only happened twice for me though, and pretty sure I was going to run out of fuel so just gave up.

In that video that guy gets a lock with every pass. That is certainly not happening for me. And apparently I am doing it correctly or I would never get a lock period. Going to try yet again but I do not understand this at all. Next try maybe I will get a lock but maybe I won't as well.

It seems to be very hit and miss and mostly just miss. Very frustrating.

Edit: Next attempt no locks. Throwing in the towel now, going to try and find another campaign that maybe will work for me. Way too many hours I have spent on this already not worth it.

One final thought - seems to me the wingman is not properly lasing the targets.

Edited by dburne

Don B

On 2/15/2021 at 2:30 AM, dburne said:

Ok so been trying the last couple of hours. It did manage to work one time for me for destroying one target, but subsequent passes I would never get a lock. The track file attached was my last attempt and did not get a lock on this first pass.

I have tried it with me entering the code of 1111, and without - this mission was without since it would seem it is already hard coded into the mission.

I have many hours in now with just trying this one mission and just never get any target locks.

I would think it should be easy as a Mav launch with someone else doing the lasing should be simple I would think.

Maybe you will see something I am missing that would explain it all. I am ready to give up at this point.

Well I guess I can't attach it as max file size is 5 MB... the trk file is 68mb.

Hi dburne,

You can either make a Google Drive or DropBox link and send to us via email: info@inverted.team

We'd love to help, but without seeing what actually happened, it's impossible for us to do so. This is the first and only time we have received this issue, so far. Many players have finished the campaign and Mission 05 without problem. Please be patient and I am sure we will find out the reason.

Please provide us either a Tacview or Trk file, and we will tell you what went wrong. Please keep in mind that we cannot modify any data or parameters related to the aircraft, it is hard to understand the reason without looking at the specific footage you have.

Many thanks for you patience.

I remember practicing the laser mavs in the default PG Hornet 65E single mission where you destroy some tanks on an island, lased by the ground based JTAC. I suggest trying it first there as it is much quicker than the campaign mission. And yes, I do not remember having any issues with the mavs or the mission 5 in general. Latest DCS beta patch here.

Ok not sure if I did it right or not, just tried to send via email with a google drive link. Have never used it before.

13 minutes ago, Katmandu said:

I remember practicing the laser mavs in the default PG Hornet 65E single mission where you destroy some tanks on an island, lased by the ground based JTAC. I suggest trying it first there as it is much quicker than the campaign mission. And yes, I do not remember having any issues with the mavs or the mission 5 in general. Latest DCS beta patch here.

Yes that is the mission I learned the Mavs with had no problems.

Not much to go wrong really when target is being lased for you.

I have tried it both by entering the code myself, or just leaving it as is since the code is already in there.

On the way to target I turn the Mavs on with AG selected of course and do my thing there by either entering the code or just leaving it as is. I move the selector switch to the left DDI for caging and uncaging.

As we approach and the wingman says he is lasing in three seconds, I uncage the Mav. I get the cursor sweep going left and right on the left DDI. I am pointing the plane angled down where that cursor is sweeping across the targets.

Hardly ever get a lock.

I will also add I have tried it at varying altitudes - 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k all with same result. And yes I keep trying even when well within 10 miles of the target.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

I see, that is weird then... I can't try the mission again unfortunately as I no longer have the F/A-18 (the free play period is over). Rising Squall made me think long and hard about getting it, but as much as I have enjoyed the campaign, I just do not love the plane and will stick with my beloved FC3, F-16 and the Harrier.

2 minutes ago, Katmandu said:

I see, that is weird then... I can't try the mission again unfortunately as I no longer have the F/A-18 (the free play period is over). Rising Squall made me think long and hard about getting it, but as much as I have enjoyed the campaign, I just do not love the plane and will stick with my beloved FC3, F-16 and the Harrier.

Yeah I am now hooked on the Hornet as I have so very many hours in it now just from the learning process.

And I was so loving this being my first campaign until this issue - have been trying that mission for the last three days solid.

Don B

23 minutes ago, Katmandu said:

You may try the mission with a different loadout - just a thought. I remember that I had to do that in mission 10 (?) with a submarine as default strategy/loadout was too frustrating.

Yeah that is a thought but couple issues with it. First I am not far along enough yet to know how to change loadouts lol.

Plus I really really like using the 65e with target being lased for me, they "typically" are so easy to use and the fire and forget aspect is quite nice.

Don B

Ah, changing loadouts is not an airplane skill, just DCS user interface. On the initial mission briefing screen click "Mission Planner" button in the bottom centre. Then find your plane on the map (zoom onto the airbase with lots of icons), click on each plane until you get "player" (see pic 2 below). Now click on the icon that looks like a missile frontal aspect and you'll be taken to the loading screen that is self explanatory. Once you've done the changes, exit and choose "NO" when asked if you wanted to save changes.

Screenshot pics:

unt1.jpg

unt2.jpg

unt3.jpg

Edited by Katmandu

The other way is to open the canopy on the ground, use mic switch to bring up the DCS radio interface. Then select "Ground crew" and "Request rearming and refueling". Rearming can be done without turning off the engines. Ground crew will confirm the command and rearm the plane.

23 minutes ago, Katmandu said:

The other way is to open the canopy on the ground, use mic switch to bring up the DCS radio interface. Then select "Ground crew" and "Request rearming and refueling". Rearming can be done without turning off the engines. Ground crew will confirm the command and rearm the plane.

Ok thanks I will keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Don B

Just tried it again. Set DCS to run as administrator to rule that out.

Never got one single target lock. I made pass after pass after pass, up until I was down to 2k lbs of fuel.

Never one single lock.

I am running the latest Open Beta.

Just my opinion, the targets are not getting lased. Or something funky with the code.

I sent another email with a link to my Google Drive for the trk file. First time I have used Google Drive so let me know if you were not able to access it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Update.

Gang I did it! I have now successfully complete this mission that I have been trying now for 4 days.

Now I am not sure exactly what I did that caused it to work for me but I will try my best to describe what I did.

Tried the mission again, first pass nada not a single lock. So as I was coming around for a second pass, I messed with my DDI's a little. I put the stores page on the right DDI, and the Mav display page on the left DDI. I used the right DDI UFC button this time ( had previously been using the UFC  button on left DDI), and then I entered the code of 1111 for the Mavs. 

Headed toward the target, and got a lock right away and blammo destroyed that target. Each subsequent pass I did the same, got instant locks and blew the targets. Then finished off with the Mk 82 bomb to successfully complete the mission.

Unfreakin believable! After all this time of not being able to get it to work, doing the above made it all good for me.

Thanks to everyone for listening and offering suggestions. Really not sure what I did this time to make it work properly but I will take it!

Edit: Inverted support, I am trying to reply to your last email that you did not get my link but some reason my system is not allowing me to reply to it. Hope you see this post.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Update.

Gang I did it! I have now successfully complete this mission that I have been trying now for 4 days.

Now I am not sure exactly what I did that caused it to work for me but I will try my best to describe what I did.

Tried the mission again, first pass nada not a single lock. So as I was coming around for a second pass, I messed with my DDI's a little. I put the stores page on the right DDI, and the Mav display page on the left DDI. I used the right DDI UFC button this time ( had previously been using the UFC  button on left DDI), and then I entered the code of 1111 for the Mavs. 

Headed toward the target, and got a lock right away and blammo destroyed that target. Each subsequent pass I did the same, got instant locks and blew the targets. Then finished off with the Mk 82 bomb to successfully complete the mission.

Unfreakin believable! After all this time of not being able to get it to work, doing the above made it all good for me.

Thanks to everyone for listening and offering suggestions. Really not sure what I did this time to make it work properly but I will take it!

Edit: Inverted support, I am trying to reply to your last email that you did not get my link but some reason my system is not allowing me to reply to it. Hope you see this post.

Roger, will check what's wrong with the email system. Glad that it worked out. Maybe it was the code entering that was causing the issue, you shouldn't need to use UFC in this mission.

Enjoy the rest of the campaign!

53 minutes ago, FrankMT said:

Roger, will check what's wrong with the email system. Glad that it worked out. Maybe it was the code entering that was causing the issue, you shouldn't need to use UFC in this mission.

Enjoy the rest of the campaign!

Thanks!

I am on that challenging Mission 6 now. About to try my third attempt LOL.

Don B

• 3 years later...