HOTAS button inputs stop registering?

yinlad

Hi all, I'm pretty new to DCS still so it might be me doing something by accident that is blocking button presses on the HOTAS being registered, but from time to time while flying I'll notice that my inputs are not being registered, but if I tap ESC twice to open and close the menu, the inputs start working as expected again.

Not sure if this is F-16 specific as it's the only thing I've really been flying so far, but has anyone else experienced something similar?

EDIT: 

found this from 2018, but nothing helpful there unfortunately

EDIT EDIT: 

After a bit more digging, it may be that the DCS window is losing focus some how, will have to do some further testing to confirm if that is the case.

Edited by yinlad

Not had any luck resolving this on my side but for some more context, I'm running DCS on my primary monitor, with secondary monitor displaying discord etc...

During flight DCS just stops responding to all button presses from input devices that aren't mouse and keyboard. I thought it may be other programs pulling the focus from DCS but this still happens when DCS is the only program I have actively running on the PC.

This happened before and after I started using Track IR and happens seemingly at random, but at least once every few minutes, forcing me to double tap escape with the keyboard to regain input presses from the HOTAS.

As you can imagine when this happens during combat it's sub optimal to say the least. Wondering why missiles wont fire or uncage before realizing it's the bug and I need to reach for the keyboard etc.etc.

I've yet to test in another airframe but will do that today to see if it's F16 specific or DCS in general

Edited by yinlad

perhaps it is the hotplug usb issue. create a file in notepad called "autoexec.cfg. save it in saved games\dcs\config

put this line in it. 

no_device_hotplug = true

• Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

5 hours ago, silverdevil said:

perhaps it is the hotplug usb issue. create a file in notepad called "autoexec.cfg. save it in saved games\dcs\config

put this line in it. 

no_device_hotplug = true

initial test is promising. Ill update after a few more hours of flight today

5 hours ago, silverdevil said:

put this line in it. 

no_device_hotplug = true

ah no dice it has just happened to me again 😞

this is now a setting in the normal options page too i found today. did this problem always occur? reaching here but maybe you are in easy mode (i thinks its called) its where all the controls are different.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

5 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

this is now a setting in the normal options page too i found today. did this problem always occur? reaching here but maybe you are in easy mode (i thinks its called) its where all the controls are different.

Ive always had it in the f16. Don't recall getting it in the fc3 F15 when I ran that a bit before the f16 but ill go back and do a few f15 missions to test. And Im not running the easy mode f16, no

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:04 PM, silverdevil said:

Sorry but I cannot find it. On which page exactly? Under what name?

I'm in OB.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, silverdevil said:

Disable Hot Plug Devices in Options

@LeCuvier hello. have a look at this post.

Thanks! I was looking for it on System and MISC pages...

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

15 hours ago, silverdevil said:

@LeCuvier no problem. kinda weird being in controls config. "i want to enable this on F16 but not on F18" lol glad to help.

You raise another question in my mind: I thought this setting was "global". Are you saying that it applies only for the aircraft you have selected the moment you hit that button?

Edit:
I think it's global. I hit the button when I was in the controls page of the Hog II without selecting a particular column, and the button turned dark. Now I can switch to any other aircraft and select any column, the button is always dark.

Edited by LeCuvier
Checked it out

LeCuvier

• 1 month later...

i have this issue as well.  its across all modules in dcs.  after a period of time dcs doesnt recognize any switch movements from any of my simpit unless i flip them on then off.  this unfortunately desyncs the physical switch position with the sims position.....really annoying when its time to shut down the jet 😒

Edited by Baldawg

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals